Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Bastardized PC's from PS3.

Avatar image for aestheticsynthesis
    AestheticSynthesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I have no idea how to build a computer and as of right now I'm trying to learn how to build a PC to replace my old Dell.

I've been reading some articles about PS3's being used for supercomputers. Can you take a PS3 apart and use some of the parts to make a good gaming rig?

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By nanikore

Why the hell would you do that? 

Edit: Also, if you've ever played with LEGOs, you know how to build a computer.

timay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By timay

The short answer would be no. If you want to game on windows it doesn't support the cell/power pc architecture .

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Driadon

Nope. On older models (meaning anything but the Slim) you could install Linux onto it, but it wouldn't work very well as a gaming machine that way.  
    Building a whole new system for PC gaming is the way to go, and, as Nanikore said, if you can piece Lego together, you can build a computer.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Evilsbane
    @AestheticSynthesis: No, and if you thought you could do that, no offense, you most likely shouldn't try to build a PC.
    Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Muttinus_Rump

Wait, you have no idea how to build a windows computer. But you want to take your Ps3 apart and reassemble it into one? A task a thousand times more complicated. Not to mention impossible.

No.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Don't think you can, however that would be an awesome idea. Think of the great graphics you could have.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @nanikore said:
    " Edit: Also, if you've ever played with LEGOs, you know how to build a computer. "
    Completely accurate. for example I used to play with Lego castle series when I was a kid and I can totally put together a rig. My brother on the other hand disliked Lego's and never got into them as a result he doesn't know anything about putting together a computer.

Although it might have something to do with the fact that he is 13 and a skateboarder. :)
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SeriouslyNow

You can put Linux on PS3.  Not that's it worth the effort but it can be done.  Turn your PS3 into a crappy internet browser PC.  yay...

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10  Edited By Geno

No, the Cell processor isn't compatible with any readily available motherboards and it wouldn't be very powerful as a general purpose processor anyway. It's good for supercomputing because it has high FP performance, for most games this doesn't matter. Using graphics cards as an example, the 5970 has 500% the FP performance of the GTX 295, yet it only offers a 30% performance increase, most of which can be attributed to its shader cores and clock speed anyway. According to Game Programming Gems 2  By Mark A. DeLoura, "floating point libraries...are generally implemented for accuracy, not performance. For games, performance is often more important than accuracy". According to Todd Homahl, Corporate Vice President of the Xbox Product Group at Microsoft, "Real games are about 80% general purpose code and about 20% floating point code". The myth of the dependency of game performance on floating point really needs to be dispelled.
    JeevesPleez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JeevesPleez
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " You can put Linux on PS3.  Not that's it worth the effort but it can be done.  Turn your PS3 into a crappy internet browser PC.  yay... "
    ... then when you get bored, put some emulators on there and play some classics. That's about as close as you're going to get.
    fallen_elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By fallen_elite

PS3 and PC architecture are very different so no making a PC out of PS3 parts isn't possible. You can always buy a cheap pre-built if you aren't up to building your own (might want to check something like slickdeals for refurb deals).

chipmaga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By chipmaga

Building a PC is not easy the first time, it took me over a day.  Now it takes me 45 minutes.  Save money build one, ditch the ps3 all together FPS on PC is like butter.  Point Click BOOOOOMMM HEADSHOTTTT

AestheticSynthesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Evilsbane: No offense taken. I'm surrounded by a bunch of tech geeks that have rigs they made themselves that light up and speak in tongues. I'm used to this kind of thing since I just bought a Dell.
    Right now I'm just going to buy the parts from Newegg and one of my friends will piece it together.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Evilsbane
    @AestheticSynthesis: Sounds like a plan, I build my own and love it, so watching someone else build yours should be even better cause you don't actually have to put the damn thing together !!
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By captain_clayman
    @nanikore said:
    " Why the hell would you do that?  Edit: Also, if you've ever played with LEGOs, you know how to build a computer. "
    lol yes i agree with this. 

building a gaming PC from scratch makes way more sense than taking apart a PS3 
    ps3's actually have pretty weak GPU's when compared to top notch PC's, PS3 games really only look good when they're programmed for the PS3 specifically (uncharted 2 says hi) 

so no, don't take apart a bunch of PS3's and put them in a computer.
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Demyx

I hope to build something this summer. But I need a job first.

taccyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By taccyp

lolwat

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19  Edited By blackbird415
    @nanikore said:
    YYYYEEESSSS thats the example I give when people ask me about it.

Whats your budget? If you give me a budget I can show you the parts to the best rig you can get, and show you some vids as well. 

I can explain some of the things to look for in video cards and whatnot if you really want me to show you what its all about.
    (experience: friend has a computer business, Ive worked with him. Years of product research, learned on my own all the different
    things to look for when looking for computer parts since I started middleschool.)thats when my brother started looking into building his
    own computer.
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Spoonman671

I say you should go for it.  Post pictures when you're done.

Liminality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Liminality

AestheticSynthesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Liminality: Sweet.

I just have two older PS3's on hand that I have little use for. Just became curious.
    mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#23  Edited By mrhankey
    @AestheticSynthesis: Do you want to run Linux? Sure. Do you want to run games. We'll you're SOL if you're not running windows....for the most part.
    AestheticSynthesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrhankey: HA! Screw linux. I'm not nerdy enough to put up with that bull.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pause422

No you can't do that, and it would be a dumb thing to do if you could.

Chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Chandu83
    @Evilsbane said:
    " @AestheticSynthesis: No, and if you thought you could do that, no offense, you most likely shouldn't try to build a PC. "
    Haha That this so true.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By Jadeskye

No. PS3s (like all consoles) use proprietary hardware. If it was possible we'd have PCs out there with Cell processors folding all day long. 

short of getting a multi billion dollar fabrication facility and a couple hundred engineers and scientists, it ain't happening. 

just build an i7 machine, it superceeds a PS3 by miles anyway.

AestheticSynthesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was bumped? Jesus.
    Anyways the PC is on hold, I'm putting in $1000 into it but the only games anyone seems to play is WOW or TF2.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jadeskye
    @AestheticSynthesis said:
    " This was bumped? Jesus. Anyways the PC is on hold, I'm putting in $1000 into it but the only games anyone seems to play is WOW or TF2. "
    Wow, you should check some forums sometime. theres a big community for most games. Steam is a great start.
    AestheticSynthesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jadeskye: Aight thanks. I've been out of the PC gaming scene for a while. The last game I played was Counter Strike and DOTA.

Any suggestions for a shooter fan (besides TF2)?
    I'm pretty big on MW2 and Bad Company, although MW2 sounds like ass on the PC.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Liminality said:

"  

"

Hahaha, yeah, obviously the MB goes in last.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jadeskye
    " @jadeskye: Aight thanks. I've been out of the PC gaming scene for a while. The last game I played was Counter Strike and DOTA.  Any suggestions for a shooter fan (besides TF2)? I'm pretty big on MW2 and Bad Company, although MW2 sounds like ass on the PC. "
    MW2 is kind of ass on PC, you're right. Bad company 2 is the big up and comer, gonna be very popular for a number of years i imagine. 

To be honest, just about every major shooter for the last 5-6 years you can still find a lot of players for. People still play the original halo for PC. 

The old battlefield games are still solid bets, battlefield 2 is heavily played as is BF2142. Crysis has some good multiplayer elements. 
     i'm not a huge shooter kind of guy but you'll deffinately find a large number of active shooters. 

You mentioned counter strike, CS:S is still hugely active, although absolutely crazy.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By Marz
    Just install linux and forget about taking the PS3 apart.
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jmrwacko
    @nanikore said:

" Why the hell would you do that?  Edit: Also, if you've ever played with LEGOs, you know how to build a computer. "

Lego's don't melt if you don't put them together right.

" @Evilsbane: No offense taken. I'm surrounded by a bunch of tech geeks that have rigs they made themselves that light up and speak in tongues. I'm used to this kind of thing since I just bought a Dell.Right now I'm just going to buy the parts from Newegg and one of my friends will piece it together. "

Good plan.
    frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By frankxiv

you can run linux on ps3s i hear but i don't know of any linux games. all signs point to just buy some parts and build it yourself

pc parts i mean.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.