Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Big mistake.. big one broke off the plastic shield that

quemador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By quemador

cover the copper pins, on the hard drive. The pings are not broken,but the plastic came out and exposes the things... i can take pics if any one wants to help me

quemador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By quemador
    No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By EquitasInvictus

The picture is a little blurry but I think I can still tell how crazy that is. So basically your connectors are all exposed....

I'm guessing a power/SATA cable won't fit where it should anymore?

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By envane

the cables should sit there loosley but its gonna be one bump away from a bent pin? i dunno .. see if you can re attach the cover and then tape it up eheh

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Maajin

I like your Don Ramon avatar.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Snail

If you manage to successfully plug a cable you should probably back up important stuff right away. That should be your primary concern, unless you think trying to plug in a cable might damage the pins. If that's still covered by warranty try sending it back, if not, well... buy a new one I guess? Unless you can find pieces that replace the ones that came off, but I can't help you there.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SomeJerk

Urgh what a nightmarish photo. I can tell you that all is not lost, as long as an identical bottom PCB to that HD model can be found.

ultra2extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By ultra2extreme

As above, get on ebay or similar sharpish and pick up an exact model of the drive. Connecting a sata to it is risky as it may lead to data damage, PCB swap is simple and requires only a torx screwdriver. If you care about your data dont piss about!

quemador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By quemador

@SomeJerk: @ultra2extreme: UMM thanks, at least there is something i can do, and the way it happen was so fucking stupid, i bought a new drive and was trying to put this one on an external hard drive case, force it in and then couldn't take it out and force it out with and BOOM... that guilt when you know, it was all your fault..

ultra2extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By ultra2extreme

@Quemador: You live and learn m8 wont cost you too much to fix so its not end of the world, in the future be more careful and always try to back up before messing with your drives.

chrjz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By chrjz

Backup... it's the number one rule. It makes these kind of situations a lot less scary,

quemador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By quemador

@Chrjz: I know, i know, but in this case is not that i lost data, my problem is that i wasted a 1T drive in perfect condition, i was trying to make a external drive with the thing...

@ultra2extreme: I know you said i can do an PCB swab, but im going to spend more money fixing this drive than buying a new external, and to be honest the whole thing sucks because what i wanted to do is kinda recycle my old drive and find a used for it instead of trowing in the garbage... but welp

But again thanks for the advice you two are cool Duders.

chrjz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By chrjz

Glad to hear that there wasn't super important data on there or anything. Are you going to abandon it at this pont?

quemador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By quemador

@Chrjz: I dont know. do some research, try any fix that wont cost me more that 20 dollars... but better question is :

What would MacGyver do?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.