Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Couch gaming with keyboard and mouse

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

I've heard mention a couple of times on the bombcast now that it is nigh impossible to play kb+mouse games when you're on the couch. But is it really? I do it and it works fine. Granted, I don't really play competetive games nor do I set the difficulty so high as to require perfect precision, but even so it works fine for me. I just put the keyboard in my lap and the mouse next to me on the couch.

So does anyone else play with keyboard and mouse on the couch? And how do you like it? Also, do you ever play really competetive games that way? Do you really miss the desk at those times?

Oh, as an aside, when given the choice, do you go for controller or mouse and keyboard? Or does that depend on the game you're playing?

Avatar image for anonymous_jesse
    Anonymous_Jesse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Anonymous_Jesse

I play at a desk and have a 360 controller for Rocket League and other controller games. I can't imagine using m&k on the couch especially with a controller right there.

yates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I don't doubt that it's impossible but it's a less than ideal setup. I certainly wouldn't enjoy playing that way.

My control setup depends on what game I'm playing. I'll always use a keyboard and mouse for fps if possible.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have my PC set up in my sitting room linked to my TV and a wall mounted monitor. I use a controller when ever I can as while I have an office chair in front of the monitor I have no desk. A roller ball mouse goes a long way to removing the desk requirement as I can use it comfortably on my leg or chest but a keyboard on your lap is awkward. I never use m&k on the sofa.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#5  Edited By mike

I play keyboard and mouse games on my couch and recliner in the living room. I have a USB extension cable and a hub running to the couch and have a mechanical keyboard and a mouse hooked up to it. Usually the keyboard sits in my lap and the mousepad is on the arm of the couch or recliner. Works completely fine, I've been playing Overwatch that way because playing it with a controller seems like a bad time.

I use mouse and keyboard for practically everything except third person action games like Tomb Raider and some games that are specifically designed for controllers, like platformers.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They have set ups for it but it seems like a hassle and a little to expensive for me, i use a gamepad for everything except games that don't support controllers. And for those i use the steam controller now and it's pretty good most of the time. I don't play competitive games too much though and if i do i stick to console for now, although the graphics and performance downgrade is becoming more noticeable to me.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By monetarydread
    No Caption Provided

I think that the Lapdog from Corsair looks like a great solution for PC gaming on the couch. It is a tray with a recess to place your keyboard into, lots of sub passthroughs, storage space (for cables, memory cards, etc), a built in mouse pad and a memory foam cushion to keep it comfortable. I hear it is a little warm, and at $120 it sounds expensive, but it looks to be a useful alternative to no keyboard and mouse.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Franstone

This popped up in my Facebook feed so I sent this link to Dan yesterday after hearing them talk about his setup on the Bombcast again.
    http://www.corsair.com/en-us/lapdog
    Kinda pricey but if I did build a PC for the living room I'd totally be down with trying something like this.

gunflame88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I've been PC gaming on my couch for about two years since I moved in to my own place. Nothing fancy - the keyboard sits on my lap, the mouse is to the right on the sofa. It took some time to get used to having the mouse so low, but I'm completely fine with it now.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Everyone can do what they want. As long as you realize the savage that you are!

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@franstone: You could just buy a replacement Ikea shelf or any other piece of treated wood and use that and a wireless keyboard and mouse or like @mike said just get some USB extenders. $120 for a tray is nuts.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

I use a laptop tray on my knees with a keyboard and mouse on it, similar to this:

No Caption Provided

I bought a Steam controller but that thing has got to be one of the ergonomically worst bits of tech I've ever owned and it's gathering dust.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Franstone

@jesus_phish: Of course but like I said, if you're in the market for a gaming keyboard anyway, it only ends up costing $70 with the package discount. I'd rather have a comfy, stable, memory foam lap board with a mouse surface than a piece of wood.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

My sewing board looks like this, but this is not mine.
    My sewing board looks like this, but this is not mine.

Don't laugh, but I have a lap sewing board (4ft x 1.5 feet x 1/4 inch), it even has an embedded ruler. My grand-aunt gave it to me in the 1990s, it is an antique...but perfect for gaming.

It is wide enough to hold a keyboard and still move a mouse around on either side. It is very light weight too...it meant for a grandmothers to use...so its easy to stow or grab when you need it. It is bigger than most 'lap desks' that companies sell, but it is 110% better because of the size. Keybaord, mouse, and even a notebook/map fits on the surface.

Since they are hard to find, often expensive antiques, I would recommend making one. Buy some fine quality plywood that won't warp...I know it looks like a chore to make, but its worth it.

The irony is 70 years ago you could go to Sears and they would sell you one for $1 and it woudl still be good today. But now?! You couldn't find a decent one in a store.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monetarydread:$120 is indeed a hefty price for a keyboard, but it does look like an interesting solution. Right now I just have my keyboard on my lap and my mouse on the couch next to me. It's far from ideal, but I can make it work.

@monkeyking1969: If it works, it works is what I always say.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cheappoison: YEAH! I am a dirty filthy savage! I will roar and pound my chest! And then I will use my keyboard and mouse on my couch! YAAAARRRR!

JamesFargoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JamesFargoth

I've got a table similar to this that I use as a temp desk in front of the TV when I need to m+kb+TV. Then again I use my TV as a monitor half the time anyway.

Fucking $30 for this.
    Fucking $30 for this.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By geirr

It's actually super easy to play from the couch/chair/fitness ball with kb + m. Just go wireless and you can find your own solution. Personally I velcro'd a thin memory foam pillow to a smooth wooden plank that I rest across my lap.

I do really like the design of Razer's Turret though and I'll try it out if when ever it's for sale here. It has a magnetic mouse that supposedly won't slide off the pad or something when adjusting your legs.

No Caption Provided

jehhuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Old topic, I know, but maybe it can bring some idea:

No Caption Provided

Brian3dw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Brian3dw
    Brian3dw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, I wanted to mention the best solution I found in the past right here. It was handmade in Colorado and looks/feels great. The curve is just right. Just a nice bit o'wood.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, I'm glad this topic surfaced again. Because I actually found yet another solution - custom cutting boards!

I found a company that makes wood and poly cutting boards at customs sizes - rather inexpensively. It is called www.cuttingboards.net (leaving link off intentionally, this is not to sell you, if you want to look - you can). I bought a board that was 1/4" thick by 14" wide by 28" long. It was $17, which I felt was a good deal. I have an optical mouse and it has no problem with the white poly material at all. The board even has that marbled texture so even sitting in my lap at an angle, my keyboard and mouse don't slide. At 1/4" its light weight, but I think 1/2" board would be just as light just a bit more expensive for being super super rigid.

I recommend a custom sizing because most cutting boards are not as long as 24" to 30", while being as narrow as 13" to 14". If you don't like poly (plastic), they have bamboo something 1/4" x 13" x 28" is about $37, which is a decent deal too if you want a wood look.

The advantage to this system is if you have a party and need a cutting board...you actually have a huge one! Its dishwasher safe which means Cheeto dust, spilled drinks, or your cat pissing on it doesn't matter...to the board at least. It wipes down perfectly clean with some water and a sponge. (And, yes, I REALLY did buy one of these! I am thinking of buying another custom board just for my kitchen so so can save my butcher-block counter any more abuse.)

This is specially my order:

1/4" White Poly Cutting Board
    (Short Side: 14, Short Side Fraction: 0", Long Side: 30, Long Side Fraction: 0", Edge: Bull Nosed(Rounded), Corner: Rounded, Custom Cutting Options: None)
    Muaddibththird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For games that need a mouse I use a rollerball mouse in my right hand and a steam controller in my left hand. It sounds weird (it was actually an idea I got from a half sarcastic poster on giant bomb about a year ago) but it's actually very comfortable and I've found that using a controller in my left hand is better for long gaming sessions than a keyboard.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

@monkeyking1969: If you're going to put the URL in your post, you might as well just link it. The link itself isn't what makes something advertising.

Brian3dw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Brian3dw

@monkeyking1969:

Thanks for the info!

I hope I didn't come off as a seller. I have nothing to do with any companies or the products I linked too. I've just been searching for a solution for quite a while. I actually need the solution for my day-to-day work. My home office setup is not the best and I often have quite a bit of pain; Rheumatoid arthritis runs in my family and caused the military to classify my Mom as 100% disabled.

Here is another crazy version of the wheelchair tray... the whole thing is GEL (I think)! You never know what exists out there.

And I too am not trying to sell anyone. If a mod or anyone would like to fill me in on link etiquette; I would be more than happy to learn. I don't want to come off as trying to get something out of sharing info I find. I have never been active on any forums. My personal record for posts resides right here on GiantBomb.

No Caption Provided

Anyway, these things are hilarious and possibly amazing! I hadn't made such huge discoveries in quite a while until searching for the knitting board. Thanks again @monkeyking1969

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brian3dw said:

@monkeyking1969:

Thanks for the info!

I hope I didn't come off as a seller.

No, you didn't come off that way. And, I did not my to imply that with my message, I just like to be extra careful.

Brian3dw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969: OK, glad to hear that. Like I said, I have never been very active on forums so I didn't want to come off like the random guy out of no-where trying to shill his wears.

I'm loving all the info.

I actually went through the build process for the cutting board too. I wish I knew what the "high temp" martial was. It looks like it might be kinda' "slick" or good for a mouse-pad free mouse.

TommyTours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a gaming laptop and use it in my armchair for gaming quite a bit. To stop the laptop from frying my lap I have a lap tray with a beanbag bottom part to keep it level and just use a wireless mouse on the arm of the chair. I'm thinking of upgrading to a better mouse and might buy some sort of solid mousemat to go with it to allow myself some extra room.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kazona said:

I don't really play competetive games nor do I set the difficulty so high as to require perfect precision,

I think this is the key. There's a reason they don't sit on couches with keyboards on their laps at tournaments.

For single player or arcade-style games I will take a couch and TV most times.

SnakeEater321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SnakeEater321
    bstnrich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I removed the legs of a folding card and place that on my lap, with the keyboard and mouse.

Been doing it for a few years now and I've been happy.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some really good ideas in this threat.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've never enjoyed it. I've tried multiple times and have always had a mediocre experience. I have never tried a laptop tray, a board or anything like that. It had always been just keyboard on my lap and mouse next to me. Worked for a some things, most not.

I realize its not feasible for everyone but I have a nice desk now and I don't think I could go back to playing games through my PC on the couch as I do feel one is sacrificing a lot. I do however admit I could be wrong as I have not tried the above options.

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i wish i could play endless space 2 on my couch, tried it once but the text is too damn small to read comfortably :(

i play controller based games trough my steam link tough, those work fine, tried the KB/M one time but it felt weird.

Really wanna play endless space though haha

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@syndrom: That's honestly the bigger issue I've run into when playing PC style games on my living room PC. Civ6 added a UI Scale Slider, but unfortunately most games don't offer that :(

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@big_denim: Have you tried playing in a borderless window and binding windows zoom functions to your mouse? It allows me to quickly zoom in and out so I can read easily and get back into the action.
    It's not a perfect solution but desperate times lead to desperate macros.

Qrowdyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kazona: I have a bigger problem with small af UI than the controls. Who can read tiny tooltips in Civ and mmos from 10 feet away. You can buy a lapboard if you really need a flat surface.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@geirr: Hmmm...seems like a hassle, but it's an interesting idea. I may give this a shot if I get a hankering for some RTS games but don't want to leave the comfort of my couch.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Here is my set up, Logitech 800 Keyboard, and Logitech602 mouse. The table is a finished piece of plywood that I then attached to a canvas strap affair that folded out between 2 sets of legs. It works very well. Previously I had wired K+M that ran to the PC. I really don't sit on the sofa, and plan to get a quality office chair to replace the lazy-boy in the future, and still be broad enough for Hobbes. Maggie does the table.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.