Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Desperate Mac Ad attacks Windows 7

• 168 results
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Geno

Just when I thought Apple may have gained some integrity as a company after the release of their new i7 processor computers at almost reasonable prices, they make an ad to destroy that notion.

Compare to Windows 7 launch commercial: 

Fear-mongering, pretentiousness and false advertising vs. confidence, stability and beauty . Hm, I wonder which OS will win (again) this generation. 
    William

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By William

I sort of agree with the mac ad..

I'm running vista.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By wefwefasdf

I find most of the Mac vs. PC ads to be witty. Including this new one.
    By the way, I'm using Windows 7 right now.

L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By L33tfella_H

In that Mac ad, i have no idea what's more funny..the mac kid cause he looks the exact same but with a different coloured clothing piece, or apple for TRYING to make the PC guy look..silly?

InTheEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By InTheEnd

I think the sad thing here is that you're losing sleep over fucking ADVERTISEMENTS! Who the hell cares? Microsoft isn't going to kiss your ass for attacking Apple's ads, the same goes for the Mac users who'll probably come to defend their platform. We are talking about corporations who's number one goal is to MAKE MONEY. They really don't give a hootin hell over what you think or how many OS wars you've jumped in. 

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Al3xand3r

Top ad wins, bottom ad is lame. If the win was decided by the ads  as you imply here, Apple would certainly "win" (I'm sure they feel winners all the way to the bank anyway), but clearly there are more factors deciding which wins, and the major ones are, target market, and compatibility.

XP user here :-)

Skogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Skogen

The mac ads embodies the mac crowd: pretentious.

Why don't they just advertise their products, instead of blatantly insulting the competition?

L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By L33tfella_H
    @InTheEnd said:
    " I think the sad thing here is that you're losing sleep over fucking ADVERTISEMENTS! Who the hell cares? Microsoft isn't going to kiss your ass for attacking Apple's ads, the same goes for the Mac users who'll probably come to defend their platform. We are talking about corporations who's number one goal is to MAKE MONEY. They really don't give a hootin hell over what you think or how many OS wars you've jumped in.  "
    my general opinion on fanboys of anything. you pretty much summed it all up nicely.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @Skogen said:
    " The mac ads embodies the mac crowd: pretentious.  Why don't they just advertise their products, instead of blatantly insulting the competition? "
    Lol. Because putting a bunch of actors to pretend they're every day users making demands of Microsoft and that those public demands have been met with their latest and greatest OS is not pretentious... They're advertisements, they all are pretentious with the goal to sell...
    Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Snipzor

Thank god for the Gmod Idiot Box. 

Yeah, that's how I feel.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Geno

What I don't like about Mac ads is, they're dishonest and sleazy. Do windows ads mention Mac's lack of compatibility with most productivity and entertainment software? Do they mention how you have to buy hardware at triple the market price to use it? Or how about its complete lack of features for high-end users? Windows has the confidence to do its own thing, and do it well; Mac ads are like the type of ads politicians who know they can't win an election use to gain some marginal amount of leverage. Desperate, pitiful. 

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#12  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I wouldn't call it "desperate". I would call it a typical mac ad: It makes the PC and the people who buy it look stupid while pretentiously listing off why you would want to buy a hilariously underpowered and overpriced computer.

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By wickedsc3

Personally i dont care about the products that they are comparing at all.  All that i use my computer for is to get online.  But i do find it funny that the apple ads always attack the pc, and that mac got mad and sent microsoft a letter when they fought back with their "give people money and pic what kind of computer u want ads."  Its like the little kid syndrome where they can dish out the slander but then cant take it.  I always just buy a pc because that is what i have always had and ive never had any problems with them.   

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Cube

Awww, did Apple get your panties in a bunch? Poor baby.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Branthog

Aw, Windows get is feelings hurt?

L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By L33tfella_H
    @Branthog said:
    " Aw, Windows get is feelings hurt? "
    Windows got a BSoT (Blue Screen of Tears).
    wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By wickedsc3

And instead of attacking a pc, why not try to inform people of what a mac looks like and what it can do.  It make no sense to have a 30 second ad about how bad a pc is, when u dont even show what ur mac can do 
    Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 43

#18  Edited By Eder

What the hell is the mac dudes problem? Windows 3.1 was cool, Windows 95 was great, 98 was nice. ME kinda sucked. XP is awesome and yes Vista is a load of crap. But XP is still the man and people seem to like Windows 7. What a cheap shot from Apple really.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#19  Edited By Soap
    @Skogen said:
    "The mac ads embodies the mac crowd: pretentious. "
    I literally COULDN'T agree more.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @wickedsc3 said:

" And instead of attacking a pc, why not try to inform people of what a mac looks like and what it can do.  It make no sense to have a 30 second ad about how bad a pc is, when u dont even show what ur mac can do  "

They sell to an established target market. This isn't an ad to sell something specific, it's an ad to keep their users from jumping ship, at least that's how I understand it. It's certainly catchy enough for non-users to possibly look it up. The Windows 7 ad hardly showed anything other than throwing arbitary easier, leaner, slimmer, sweeter talk now, did it? Because their audience also already knows what Windows is about.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Geno
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " @wickedsc3 said:
    " And instead of attacking a pc, why not try to inform people of what a mac looks like and what it can do.  It make no sense to have a 30 second ad about how bad a pc is, when u dont even show what ur mac can do  "
    They sell to an established target market that knows what's up. This isn't an ad to sell something specific, it's an ad to keep their users from jumping ships, at least that's how I understand it. It's certainly catchy enough for non-users to possibly look it up also. The Windows 7 ad hardly showed anything other than throwin arbitary easier, leaner, slimmer, sweeter talk now, did it? Because their audience also already knows what Windows is about. "
    Or rather, Apple sells to a market that has a lack of knowledge as to what's up. They're essentially making money by deceiving people. 
    DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By DanielJW

I dislike the Mac commercials tenancy  to not talk about Macs... at all. 

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By Gizmo

Yeah, fuck Macs, this is horrible advertising.

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By wickedsc3
    @Al3xand3r:

U said my point exactly.  Everyone already knows what windows is about, so why not show them something different, instead of trying to keep people from jumping your ship why not try to get people to jump ms, ship.  Like i said i have always used a pc, and never even thought about a mac because i have never even seen what the desktop or whatever it is looks like.  If u want people to buy your product actually advertise it.  Dont waste ur time trying to knock a huge company like ms, show how much better urs is, and maybe my next purchase would be a mac
    Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

I've played with Macs before and I really don't get why people rank them higher than PCs.  This advert really shows this weird mentality that Apple seems to have where only Apple products are worth buying and the rest are utter shite.  Meh, I doubt this advert will change many PC users into Mac users.

Jwkokosmakroon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jwkokosmakroon
    @InTheEnd said:
    "I think the sad thing here is that you're losing sleep over fucking ADVERTISEMENTS! Who the hell cares? Microsoft isn't going to kiss your ass for attacking Apple's ads, the same goes for the Mac users who'll probably come to defend their platform. We are talking about corporations who's number one goal is to MAKE MONEY. They really don't give a hootin hell over what you think or how many OS wars you've jumped in.  "

That's  where you're wrong, marketeers love this kind of thing ^^
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CL60

Whats up with all the people saying "AWWWWW MAC ADS HURT YOUR FEELINGS?"

That's not even what people are talking about. All we are saying is, how about Mac ads actually talk about there own product instead of consistently bashing there competition, it would probably go over better.

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By bubahula
    @Skogen said:
    " The mac ads embodies the mac crowd: pretentious.  Why don't they just advertise their products, instead of blatantly insulting the competition? "
    this
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I hate Macs but I enjoy there commercials.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @wickedsc3 said:

" @Al3xand3r: U said my point exactly.  Everyone already knows what windows is about, so why not show them something different, instead of trying to keep people from jumping your ship why not try to get people to jump ms, ship.  Like i said i have always used a pc, and never even thought about a mac because i have never even seen what the desktop or whatever it is looks like.  If u want people to buy your product actually advertise it.  Dont waste ur time trying to knock a huge company like ms, show how much better urs is, and maybe my next purchase would be a mac "

That's not their only ad ever, that's the ad Genos chose to post about. I'm pretty sure they market their products pretty aggressively, but they don't tend to market the OS specifically, but rather their full desktops/laptops/ipods/etc. Some of these are kinda popular so, it works?
    wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By wickedsc3
    @Al3xand3r:

Yea, u have a point i know that i have not seen every single ad for a mac, but for the past year or so the only ones that i have seen are the ones with justin long vs that slob pc guy.  I just think that it would help if they did an ad strictly about their computer, show the desktop, some kids usting their ipods with it and so on.  And they might have one like that for all i know i was just posting my expirence with them as all i have seen are the vs ads.  Its just that i always hate ads that are attcking someone i dont care who it is, i just find that wrong and in poor taste.  As i own my own business i would hate it if a competitor did an attack ad against me instead of promoting their product.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Geno
    @wickedsc3 said:

" @Al3xand3r: Yea, u have a point i know that i have not seen every single ad for a mac, but for the past year or so the only ones that i have seen are the ones with justin long vs that slob pc guy.  I just think that it would help if they did an ad strictly about their computer, show the desktop, some kids usting their ipods with it and so on.  And they might have one like that for all i know i was just posting my expirence with them as all i have seen are the vs ads.  Its just that i always had ads that are attcking someone i dont care who it is, i just find that wrong and in poor taste.  As i own my own business i would hate it if a competitor did an attack ad against me instead of promoting their product. "

Actually the type of Mac commercial with the slob PC guy and Justin Long is the ONLY type of Mac commercial. They literally don't advertise their own position, they just exaggerate or make up the flaws of the other position. Sort of like creationism. 
    Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Famov

Oh no, businesses are using marketing tactics! Now look, I do not own a Macintosh computer, but I'm glad they exist just to keep Microsoft on their toes. You know, so that they don't become complacent and release crap. 

I would argue that Microsoft computers would have fewer technical issues (which we all know they're prone to) if they had a competent competitor.
    Dragonseer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Dragonseer

Hm, I wonder which OS will win (again) this generation.  "

I dunno..  Xbox??
    wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By wickedsc3
    @Famov said:  

Their is a difference between marketing tactics and poor taste
    artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By artofwar420

I don't see it as bad, hell it's pretty much true, so even though their tone is sarcastic, it's true that Windows 7 is better... so yay? I don't care about these things anyway.
    Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Famov
    @wickedsc3:
    I sincerely doubt that.
    indigo_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By indigo_man

macs are just as glitchy and broken....its like shit vs. shit. although atleast windows 7 can play games...while macs do....word processing software ''better''? O_O
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By LiquidPrince

Apple are pretty big dicks as usual.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I've always had a problem with company statements or advertisements which just attack competitors instead of emphasising what is good about their product and for that reason I have always hated the Mac adverts. I was shocked to see two of my favourite comedians (David Mitchell and Robert Webb) starring in the UK versions of the ads and almost put my head in my hands when I found out that one my friends had actually been suckered in by Apple's advertising campaign. Apple may make some very fine products but these ads are cheap and pretentious.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

I have no idea why a mac is supposedly better.  I also do not know why they cost so much.  Maybe if their ads actually justified all their claims... oh if only. 

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
    deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a huge apple Fanboy, but even as much as I enjoy them, the mac ads are getting a bit smug. 
    Oh well, you windows people are over sensitive anyway.

indigo_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By indigo_man
    @Gorillawhat said:
    "you windows people are over sensitive anyway. "
    gave me a good laugh
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @Geno said:

" @wickedsc3 said:

" @Al3xand3r: Yea, u have a point i know that i have not seen every single ad for a mac, but for the past year or so the only ones that i have seen are the ones with justin long vs that slob pc guy.  I just think that it would help if they did an ad strictly about their computer, show the desktop, some kids usting their ipods with it and so on.  And they might have one like that for all i know i was just posting my expirence with them as all i have seen are the vs ads.  Its just that i always had ads that are attcking someone i dont care who it is, i just find that wrong and in poor taste.  As i own my own business i would hate it if a competitor did an attack ad against me instead of promoting their product. "

Actually the type of Mac commercial with the slob PC guy and Justin Long is the ONLY type of Mac commercial. They literally don't advertise their own position, they just exaggerate or make up the flaws of the other position. Sort of like creationism.  "
    I'm pretty sure I've seen some nice macbook air commercials and other such product commercials. I also didn't say just "commercials" in my post, I said "ads", that includes all sorts of things from commercials to paid articles in random newspapers presenting their new stuff. As I said, they emphasise full products rather than just the OS, as it's what they basically sell for the most part. And they can't market the products with just this type of ad you posted since Microsoft doesn't sell hardware solutions like that anyway. Macbook air versus what? Nothing:
     I'd post other stuff but it's not like I pay attention to what products they put out so this is the only one I remember and it's a year+ old?
    Avatar image for deactivated-594edfbbc45ca
    deactivated-594edfbbc45ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Snipzor said:
    "Thank god for the Gmod Idiot Box. 

Yeah, that's how I feel. "

lol
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Geno
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " @Geno said:

" @wickedsc3 said:

Actually the type of Mac commercial with the slob PC guy and Justin Long is the ONLY type of Mac commercial. They literally don't advertise their own position, they just exaggerate or make up the flaws of the other position. Sort of like creationism.  "
    I'm pretty sure I've seen some nice macbook air commercials and other such product commercials. I also didn't say just "commercials" in my post, I said "ads", that includes all sorts of things from commercials to paid articles in random newspapers presenting their new stuff. As I said, they emphasise full products rather than just the OS, as it's what they basically sell for the most part. And they can't market the products with just this type of ad you posted since Microsoft doesn't sell hardware solutions like that anyway. Macbook air versus what? Nothing:
     I'd post other stuff but it's not like I pay attention to what products they put out so this is the only one I remember and it's a year+ old? "
    I'm talking more specifically about the OS, which is really the only difference between Mac and PC. The hardware is technically the same, it's just that Mac overprices theirs about 3-fold. 
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Al3xand3r

Well I'm talking about what they actually do and how they market their products, sorry. Your last comment was in response to my last comment which did say they mostly market their hardware anyway, and you said they only do that type of ad to that which is false.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#48  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Skogen said:
    bk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By bk

Is namedropping a competitor like that allowed?
    Whenever you see a commercial like this one, it usually goes "it's much better than the other [nameless] product!"  

Makes you think why Microsoft would let Mac have a 'virtual windows' feature.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#50  Edited By Out_On_Bail

It's clever advertising, and shows that they know Windows 7 is a threat because of the good reviews.  I took the plunge and installed win7 yesterday and I'm incredibly satisfied. It's a good product, and in my opinion, it's what Vista should of been years ago.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.