Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

DRM and good ways we can stop it?

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By VACkillers

Im all for anti-piracey but the DRM are more then anoying for ppl who will actually buy a game out-right, what im basicly looking here in this thread is basicly CONSTRUCTIVE ways to talk developers or even talk opening with developers or how we could contact developers to stoping to a certain extent the DRMs that are in place today. Lastest game i got was C&C4 and you have to be constantly online to play that no matter what, even if you are playing it offline, you still have be online to play the SP or skirmishes. So if anyone has any real idea's or ways of contacting developers, please post in here, i would love to try and persuade them not to keep continuing it. I know these topic does called talked about quite a bit, but im not really looking for a general discussion about it, think we all pretty much know what there is to know, i just really want to tackle the problem head on because i can just see it getting worse which wouldn't be good for gaming communities as a whole, the more you have a game online, the less you will be able to do ANY kind of modding/addons/ or anything that reeally makes a gaming community grow.

sexy_nipples

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By sexy_nipples

Steam. Perfect solution. Easy for consumers to use, amazing deals. Also good for devs.  
    And is that an EVE Online avatar? 

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By VACkillers

Yeah it is lol.. at the time i dind't know what else to put as my pic, so i just chose my eve char.

Steam is pretty good system i prefer that over ANY DRM system... i would have absolutely no complaints about that, but how do we convince more developers to go down that route?

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By ch13696

I'm with you. But, unfortunately are only way to reach the publishers on this matter have been repetitively used. I mean an online petition. Or we can wait for publishers to talk other publishers into Steam and how well it works. Hell, even Impulse.

sexy_nipples

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sexy_nipples
    @VACkillers said:
    " Yeah it is lol.. at the time i dind't know what else to put as my pic, so i just chose my eve char.  Steam is pretty good system i prefer that over ANY DRM system... i would have absolutely no complaints about that, but how do we convince more developers to go down that route? "
    Look at the sales 

200% growth in 2009 

Sounds good to me. I'm pretty sure almost everyone is releasing their game on Steam. Save for Blizzard because they don't really need to.  

And man, I haven't played EVE in like a year. Phenomenal MMO. What faction is your guy with? Caldari? Gallente?  

Minmatar was the best. Vagaband and Tempest were God-like for me. I loved their speed, especially the Vaga 
    VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By VACkillers

Im with caldari, caldari for life!! :D

I have noticed more companies are going with steam, which is a good thing, but not near enough, C&C4 great example of that... or the Battlefield series, when they went with gamespy nearly crippled the entire multiplayer aspect of the game.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#7  Edited By Kidavenger

The only method that really works is periodic online verifications; anything else will be hacked out of the game. 

The only way to make this work is to make the playerbase want it rather than trying to shove it down their throats like Ubisoft. 

How to make them want it? Steam/Xbox Live/PSN/Blizzard have already figured that out, create an online community, give them forums/achievement/leaderboards/online matchmaking tied to their registered copy of the game. 

EA/Bioware is starting to move in this direction now with games like Dragon Age and Mass Effect but they have really halfassed it so far, hopefully they will put some effort into it or just default to Steam. 

Games for Windows Live could also stand to do a much better job attracting developers to their service and developing a real online community like Steam. I seriously don't get why Bioware doesn't have their games under the GFWL system when they have already done all the work with Xbox.

bcooper56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By bcooper56

I don't usually care what i did with AC2 was just buy game and then install it and activate it and then i download crack so i could play offline. Every one is happy im not using shitty ubisoft servers and they got there money.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Pinworm45
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By ArchScabby

ummm you can stop it by not pirating games....

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Pinworm45
    @ArchScabby said:
    " ummm you can stop it by not pirating games.... "
    Because people who care about being effected by DRM are totally the same people who pirate the games.
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Steam seems like a good preventative measure for the short term, but how long before the server codes are cracked and pirates get into it?

Pirates will always find a way, always.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By ArchScabby
    @Pinworm45 said:
    " @ArchScabby said:
    Because people who care about being effected by DRM are totally the same people who pirate the games. "
    No, but if no one pirated games their would never be any DRM.  I don't want to start a fight though so  this is gonna be my last reply.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pinworm45
    @ArchScabby said:
    " @Pinworm45 said:
    " @ArchScabby said:
    Because people who care about being effected by DRM are totally the same people who pirate the games. "
    No, but if no one pirated games their would never be any DRM.  I don't want to start a fight though so  this is gonna be my last reply. "
    No, you don't want to start a debate because what you said makes no sense. 
    Buccura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Buccura

I'd say the most sure fire way is to create a magical internet machine that stops all piracy of PC games.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sodiumCyclops
    @Buccura said:
    " I'd say the most sure fire way is to create a magical internet machine that stops all piracy of PC games. "
    That.... that's actually pretty good. I'm willing to invest.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.