Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Gaming mice...are the higher end ones worth the money?

• 56 results
    MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By MrOldboy

I've been using a wireless POS inland mouse for a while now and to be honest its not half bad for $12.99. But the batteries run out every month and it gets a bit jumpy every once in a while.

So I've been looking at some gaming mice. Most of my friends tell me to get a Logitech G5, but its a bit pricey. While the microsoft sidewinder X5 is about half the price on amazon. The reviews seem fine for that one, but is spending the extra $20-40 on a G5 or Razer or other high end mouse worth it. Hopefully someone has owned a few mice and can comment.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By gosukiller

I have owned both the MX518, G5 and now the G500.  If the G5 is too expensive for you go for the MX518 or one of the Razer equivalents. It's definitely worth it. 

Remember that all of these are wired and don't require batteries.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By sodiumCyclops

I have the Logitech G9x and can never look back. 

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MrOldboy

yeah, I want a wired one since I have been annoyed with having to change the battery.

After reading some reviews I will probably get the sidewinder or the MX 518. The MX 518 is about $10 more than the X5 so not a huge leap. But that is my limit I think on a mouse.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sodiumCyclops
    @MrOldboy said:

" yeah, I want a wired one since I have been annoyed with having to change the battery.  After reading some reviews I will probably get the sidewinder or the MX 518. The MX 518 is about $10 more than the X5 so not a huge leap. But that is my limit I think on a mouse. "

Most modern PC gaming mice that are wireless have rechargeable batteries like ipods. 

What kind of grip do you use? Claw (finger) or Palm (mouse rest inside most of your palm)?
    MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MrOldboy

I dont know. I'd say more claw than palm if that makes sense...

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I've had a MX518 for years, and I love it. The programmable side-buttons and the buttons that quickly change sensitivity have been extremely useful.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gosukiller
    @MrOldboy:@sodiumCyclops:
    No Caption Provided
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sodiumCyclops
    @MrOldboy said:
    " I dont know. I'd say more claw than palm if that makes sense... "
    You should try the G9 or G9x, both are perfect for claw grip. And they both also come with 2 different grips that you can swap out whenever. 
    Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#10  Edited By Kidavenger

I have a sidewinder x-8 and I love it. 

You can use it wired or wireless. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've used the Razer Deathadder for a few years now, and it's been great. When it comes to the higher end mice, it's not too expensive either at $50-$60. That's basically my limit for mice. I don't really see the need to spend much more than that on a mouse.

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By DCFGS3

I have a coolermaster Sentinel advance. Now even though it's not one of the major mice brands (they mostly make cases), I've found it a brilliant little mouse. Lot's, and I mean lot's of options for different mapping, speeds, it can change colour and has different weights so you can make it just how you want it. I have actually found that the differing speeds has been important, I use a higher speed when playing MoH and BF:BC2

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By ryanwho

I've never noticed a difference in responsiveness, just durability. Seems like the only difference is the number of extra buttons it has.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

All I worry about is having a comfortable mouse with high DPI, and a button to quickly change the DPI.

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By gunslingerNZ

What brands etc would people recommend? I just use a bog standard Microsoft wired one and while I don't really care for hyper responsiveness, customisable weighting etc that some of the gaming mice offer I find this one pretty uncomfortable at times. I have a wireless logitech MX revolution which is really comfy and my everday computing mouse but the lag is TERRIBLE so gaming with it is out of the question.

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Insectecutor

Did someone mention the claw?

TheEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheEdge

http://www.testfreaks.com/blog/review/microsoft-sidewinder-x8-wireless-gaming-mouse/

I've got this badboy, and let me tell you, it is worth every penny! No need to change batteries, easy 2-step recharging, batteries hold a lifetime, and it is fast as fcuk.
    Approved!

theduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By theduke

i think a a $40 mice would suffice 
    have a couple extra buttons on it and a button for on the fly dpi change

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#19  Edited By zidd

Cheap mice are all terrible. I have an MX510 that i used for several years that was a great mouse. I moved on to a microsoft wireless one but its not as good.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Emilio

Dude, just stick with a regular wired laser mouse. I'm still using this Dell mouse from centuries ago and I poon all the noobs on TF2.

OldElfin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By OldElfin

Been running the Logitech G9 for quite a bit and am very happy with it.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22  Edited By Geno

I currently own a Razer Imperator that I got a couple of days ago. My KDR in BFBC2 has doubled from a Logitech MX Revolution, so I would say yes. A good mousepad is important as well. 

sawfish22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sawfish22

I have a wired Razer Diamondback with blue LED internals and I love it.  It only costed me like $30 and that was 2 years ago.  I have a Saitek keyboard and I love that as well and it wasn't too expensive.  For the reputation of PC gaming accessories being too expensive, I have to disagree.  If you know what to buy and you know where to get a good deal, it isn't that much more (if at all) than regular stuff.  I still need to get a good mousepad, but I don't think that's a huge deal.
    kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kishan6
    @TripMasterMunky said:
    " I've used the Razer Deathadder for a few years now, and it's been great. When it comes to the higher end mice, it's not too expensive either at $50-$60. That's basically my limit for mice. I don't really see the need to spend much more than that on a mouse. "
    i almost got that 
    i got the  razor lachesis
    sawfish22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By sawfish22

And by the way, having a wired mouse does not mean it isn't a gaming mouse.  I prefer wired mice just because A) It's what I've always used and what I'm used to, and B)  I don't like having to change batteries.  Just find that one mouse that fits you like a glove.  Brands don't really matter at that point; it's just what feels comfortable to you.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#26  Edited By EpicSteve

Logitech G5 is all I'll ever need.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By Marz

i use a g5, best mouse I've ever used.    honestly the high DPI is nice but i end up using a lower number like 1000 dpi because it feels better.  Most of the new mice just have higher dpi sensitivity and if your like me you probably won't even use the max dpi setting.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Osaladin

I use a Logitech G500, I love it and it's great for everything not just gaming. I always find that gaming mice fit my hand the best and have the smoothest movement, no matter what I'm doing. Can't recommend it enough.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#29  Edited By AndrewB

I've always been a regular mouser, myself. Any consumer-grade mouse works just fine for me.

I own a Cooler Master gaming mouse that I got for free with a case I bought recently. Haven't opened the box, and I plan on selling it on ebay. Not that I don't think it looks like a good mouse or anything, but I'm happy with the mouse I've been using.

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MrOldboy

Well I still cant decide. I have to agree though the gaming mice are more comfortable than a normal mouse. My friend has a microsfot sidewinder x5 and it instantly felt way better than the crappy logitech one I have, just a standard optical mouse. Makes me wonder if the more expensive ones are more comfortable since that ones seems to be the cheapest one online, which is honestly my main concern.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I still use the mouse that came with my pc, it has a ball. I'm such a cheapskate. I don't play anything competitively so i'm not too bothered by it.

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By Metroid545

YES THEY ARE  I didn;t think they would but the higher end ones make a major difference

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MrOldboy

well I dont play multiplayer games, its mostly that the basic mice are made for left handed as well as right handed people and are uncomfortable, mine is symmetrical. I want to get a more ergonomic mouse and the gaming ones seem to be the best choice for that. My hand is a bit sore after playing audio surf and torchlight a bunch tonight.

theMuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By theMuse

I'm part of the Razer Deathadder camp. Excellent mouse, and extremely comfortable.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SlasherMan
    @theMuse said:
    " I'm part of the Razer Deathadder camp. Excellent mouse, and extremely comfortable. "
    Glad you mentioned this.

I've been looking into buying a new mouse, and it's going to be a choice between the MX518, G500 and Deathadder. I'm leaning towards the Deathadder.
    lhaymehr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By lhaymehr

You just need a quality mouse that won't break down in your hand. I still have MX500 and can own just about anyone in just about anything.

:)

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MrOldboy

well I am leaning towards the sidewinder x5 its pretty cheap and frankly I dont want to throw down much more for a mouse until I am ready.

But the g500 does look nice and I'll probably upgrade later on to something of that quality.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Dingofighter

I have a Steelseries Ikari mouse and it is quite possibly the best mouse I've had, though the Logitech G5 is a pretty close second. 

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By TheHT

So the only benefit to the higher tier mice are more buttons and fancy grip?

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By shirogane

My PC(which i no longer use, my dad uses it) has a G7, the wireless version of the G5, and it's pretty good. Overall, unless you need wireless for some reason, the G5 is better though. 

I recently bought a Razer Orochi, and that's pretty awesome too. But that's a notebook mouse, so you probably don't want that.
    Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#41  Edited By Evilmetal

my first 'gaming' mouse, I think it was a gaming mouse, was the logitech dual optical mouse. It had two sensors.

No Caption Provided

I kept on using it, since it was first introduced, till just a few years ago when the buttons would no longer respond. I have a basic (cheap) Razer Salmosa now and it's fine.
    VirtuaXav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By VirtuaXav

I use a Razer Mamba and it's sweet. Has a high DPI ( I think that's what it is ) and you can change it on the fly. Good for first person shooters when you're swapping between say a sniper and a regular soldier, you never realise how handy it is to have different sensitivities for seperate classes to change on the fly. 

The mouse can be wired or wireless so you've got options. It's pretty pricey, I paid $145AUD (and that was cheap, I think the RRP was like $225AUD). But if you want a good quality gaming mouse... look no further.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, fuck yes.

I bought a Razer Lachesis at the end of 2008 and its an absolute beauty. Quick speed transitions (if you suddenly need lots of precision, you can set the dpi to 4000 etc), lots of mappable buttons, micros. All in all a fantastic piece of kit.

I would say though, that Razer's quality control leaves a little to be desired. There were initially some problems with the scroll wheel, but the sorted themselves out quickly.

Don't do what I did though and drop your bed on it. My left click is now the forward side button :(

ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ltcoljaxson
    @Marz said:

" i use a g5, best mouse I've ever used.    honestly the high DPI is nice but i end up using a lower number like 1000 dpi because it feels better.  Most of the new mice just have higher dpi sensitivity and if your like me you probably won't even use the max dpi setting. "

Yeah I have the Logitech G500, and it works great.

The setpoint software allows you to set 5 different sensitivities you can switch between... which is great for different PC games - as each one seems to be different in the feel of aiming. I have mine set like 600, 1200, 1800, 2500, 3200... and I actually go across these depending on what game or even if I am using Photoshop or a video editor and would like a little more precise movement. 

Getting a higher quality mouse makes  a dramatic improvement - I had a cheap Microsoft mouse before and once and a while it would be hitchy and laggy on screen... and just not close to as accurate as what the G5 feels like. The G5 (and other good mouses) just improve pointer precision by so much - you'll notice a difference.

Not to mention the ability to add weight into the mouse (which weighs very little on its own) which is a nice extra feature for comfort.
    71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By 71Ranchero
    @MrOldboy said:

" Well I still cant decide. I have to agree though the gaming mice are more comfortable than a normal mouse. My friend has a microsfot sidewinder x5 and it instantly felt way better than the crappy logitech one I have, just a standard optical mouse. Makes me wonder if the more expensive ones are more comfortable since that ones seems to be the cheapest one online, which is honestly my main concern. "

Unless they have made new deals recently, Im pretty sure all MS branded Keyboards and Mice are made by Logitech still. So dont relly on brand names so much, just stick with what feels better.

I am a PC gamer exclusively and Im in a minority on this topic.  I do not think you need a gaming mouse to be competitive and I do not feel like it gives the average gamer an advantage or benefit in any way. Any old Logitech Laser mouse will do and provide you with enough control at a reasonable price.  

Im also a bit of a hypocrite because I game with a Razer Mamba. However, I do not feel like I need to have something like this to be good, I just like to have nice things :P    
    MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MrOldboy
    @Atramentous: 

the mouses I have used are plenty precise and accurate. Thats not my issue. Its more the size and shape of the normal mice that bothers me. They are all usally made to fit both left and right hands. The only mouse I have that is comfortable is a wireless one made by Inland which is horribly jumpy and runs out of batteries every month. 

I dont think I would be able to tell the difference in accuracy, but comfort I can instantly tell.

Saying that I ended up ordering a Sidewinder x5, it was only $25. The general concensus here and online is the G500 so maybe if I decide to upgrade I'll get that next down the line. First gaming mouse so probably good I just got a relatively cheap one.
    taccyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By taccyp

I use the G9. It's pretty good but not worth the price tag (at least at the time I bought it, maybe it's cheaper now). You don't really need a DPI higher than 1600 to be competitive online, hell, a lot of professional counter strike/quake players use older mice with 800 DPI. It still all comes down to practice and skill, having a nice mouse won't make you any better.

ThePencil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ThePencil

I use a Logitech Trackball.

FUCK MICE!

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Aus_azn

Advance notice: I'm not trolling. 

This is my gaming mouse. 

http://www.itcsales.co.uk/acatalog/Dell-Mouse-0C8639-big-220.jpg     
    (Sorry for no direct image, can't be bothered to upload it just for this post) 

It cost me all of $0 when it came with my old Dell Dimension 4500. It'd have probably cost $10 when I bought it, in the tail end of '04. 100% generic USB optical mouse, not even the "premium" Logitech version. I've had no problems, and I can hold my own in basically every game, so it works for me. 

Keyboard, on the other hand... I have a Razer Arctosa. It cemented my belief in Razer making ridiculously good products. When it dies, I'm surely going back to them. I'd presume their mouses are decent as well.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#50  Edited By subject2change

Yes they are worth it, pretty sure there is a reason why every "pro" PC gamer uses them. And used them prior to going pro or before pro was even a thing.

Good mousepad is also vital. 

I use a G5 with a QCK+ Thick. Forgot what its called but its a very large mousepad and thick so it negates an uneven surface.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.