Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Got a new mobo + CPU and now the fans are always running on high

Penderton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I can't find a solution to this. Is that just how it is now or is there something wrong? Speedfan doesn't pick them up, I tried changing the curve through the booting menu but that didn't change anything and I used HWMonitor to check temps but they're all fine so I'm rather lost. Though I'm not even sure it's fanS or there's just one trouble causer somewhere.

Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Eurobum

You need to download the monitoring software that the mainboard manufacturer provides. They got pretty good generally, allowing automatic overclocking and stuff, but if it is installed already those settings take priority over BIOS/UEFI Fan Curve settings. So even if you set the fan speed to 800 RPM or 0% in the BIOS spans speed up once windows is loaded. For an ASRock motherboard I had to uncheck [[_]load on windows startup] in the ASRock software for the BIOS fan and clock settings to take over.

Windows settings also tend to interfere, thus you should also set windows to energy saving mode. Sometimes software will change windows energy settings, however it won't change BIOS settings it will just override them.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There should be a setting in the bios to adjust this. Is it all the fans or just the cpu fan?

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

How many pins are your fans and how many are on the mobo?

For example, some mobos only have two pins for the fans and in that scenario there is no fan control available, they will always run at 100% (edit: unless you have a swanky mobo that can adjust voltages). The third pin is for controlling fan speed, and a four pin is for fan monitoring.

Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For example, some mobos only have two pins for the fans and in that scenario there is no fan control available, they will always run at 100% (edit: unless you have a swanky mobo that can adjust voltages). The third pin is for controlling fan speed, and a four pin is for fan monitoring.

It's true you need at least 1 extra pin to monitor Fan RPM. It is possible to change speed with a 2 pin connector, by lowering voltage. The voltage lowing method has been supplanted by 4pin connected Pulse Width Modulation (PWM fan). PWM has the benefit that the fan will always start, which may become a problem with voltage regulated fans below 5 V.

I've looked at some 160 $ EVGA cards last generation which had just 2 pin fans, but I don't think that's ever the case for motherboards any more. That said, you need to make sure that you are connected to the right header (CPU_fan) on the motherboard, which have at least 3 fan headers.

Also make sure the is no floppy in your drive when you boot, JK.

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did you plug your fans into the motherboard or directly into the powersupply (with adapters)?

One other thing you may want to try is in the bios, reset everything to the Optimized Defaults and check your fan speeds there.

Penderton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Penderton
    @eurobum said:

You need to download the monitoring software that the mainboard manufacturer provides.

I think that managed to determine it's NOT the CPU fan at least. Hitting auto tune on the CPU fan made a sound from a different fan which meant that wasn't already on and can also rule out it being all fans.

Did you plug your fans into the motherboard or directly into the powersupply (with adapters)?

One other thing you may want to try is in the bios, reset everything to the Optimized Defaults and check your fan speeds there.

I dunno, I didn't install it myself because I'm kinda clueless on the hardware end but was told I did need an adapter to get them all plugged in. BIOS stuff was all default though.

I don't know that either. It's a MSI B350M Gaming Pro if that helps?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@penderton: that is a micro motherboard so I assume you have a micro case? You have 2 connectors for 4pin fans, so the adapter is probably causing them to run at one constant speed. I think There should still be a setting in bios to at least lower the speed so they are not running 100% all the time.

Only thing i can think of is buying an adapter or fans with manual fan controls. That mobo only has 2 fan connectors because i would assume a micro case would only be able to fit about 2 fans.

MVHVTMV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360 said:

@penderton: that is a micro motherboard so I assume you have a micro case? You have 2 connectors for 4pin fans, so the adapter is probably causing them to run at one constant speed. I think There should still be a setting in bios to at least lower the speed so they are not running 100% all the time.

Only thing i can think of is buying an adapter or fans with manual fan controls. That mobo only has 2 fan connectors because i would assume a micro case would only be able to fit about 2 fans.

As far as I know (It's worked fine on my double fan CPU cooler), if the motherboard and the fans both support PWM, then you should be able to PWM control two fans over a simple 4-pin Y-splitter. It might be possible that you're using a 2 or 3 pin splitter and the fans are defaulting back to standard voltage control. And/or possibly the detection pin is overloaded by the splitter and your mobo can't tell how fast either fan is going or, doesn't realise the connected fans support PWM.

Worst case you could manually set a level in the BIOS (Don't be too scared, because fortunately modern MSI BIOSes tend to be pretty user friendly).

Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@penderton: Dude seriously. Good job ignoring all advice. Also, you cannot open your PC and look where the cable from the CPU fan plugs into? If you are not willing to do that you cannot be helped. You need to ask someone in person.

What kind of PC is this, what kind of motherboard is it? Motherboard is the big PCB that everything else plugs into, they tend to have their own manufacturer and model number. Which you need to find out and share if you want to get anywhere.

No Caption Provided

At the bottom left of this picture there two tiny black and white plastic plugs, with metallic pins sticking out. These are called Headers. They are all labeled both on the board and in the documentation typically provided (Case_FAN, CPU_FAN or similar). Also the BIOS/UEFI sometimes has a picture of the board so you can read the descriptions even if there are cables and stuff in the way.

Penderton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah that was exactly it.

@mvhvtmv said:

As far as I know (It's worked fine on my double fan CPU cooler), if the motherboard and the fans both support PWM, then you should be able to PWM control two fans over a simple 4-pin Y-splitter. It might be possible that you're using a 2 or 3 pin splitter and the fans are defaulting back to standard voltage control. And/or possibly the detection pin is overloaded by the splitter and your mobo can't tell how fast either fan is going or, doesn't realise the connected fans support PWM.

Worst case you could manually set a level in the BIOS (Don't be too scared, because fortunately modern MSI BIOSes tend to be pretty user friendly).

And that was the suggested solution but they didn't have one. BIOS only displayed the CPU fan. Though since I actually have a big case instead of micro case and 3 other fans it was apparently fine to unplug that one.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Make sure the Fan connectors are in the right pins on the motherboard, there's pins that are on always full power and pins that are customizable in speed in the BIOS/UEFI settings. Installing the drivers also helps sometimes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.