Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Gtx 1080/1070/1060,Amd rx480... Who's got one and how are you liking it?

• 66 results
    aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By aktivity

@colourful_hippie said:
    @aktivity said:
    @colourful_hippie said:
    @jasonmasters said:

So what your saying is that if I am only on a 1080p monitor, I should get a 1070?

Yes. A gtx 1080 makes more sense when you're gaming at 1440p and also makes it possible to play games at 4k on a single card at reduced settings.

I got a EVGA GTX 1080 FE (I know I should have waited but having money to burn and not caring about OC made me get one). I'm enjoying it a whole lot. I'm able to enjoy Rise of the Tomb Raider maxed at 1440p/60fps. A 1070 would have only handled the game at 30-40fps

The 1070 is overkill for 1080p in most games and can easily get you 60fps on Rise of the Tomb Raider with maxed settings on 1440p. If you're playing on 1080p you should only choose the 1070 over the 1060 if you want to future proof.

Not sure what your definition of maxed settings is but there are benchmarks out there of the 1070 not reaching 60 for the most part. You're totally right on the 1070 for future proofing hence why I recommend it for 1080p gaming in the long run.

It literally gets an average 60-70+ fps on almost every game benchmark shown in reviews with maxed out settings on 1440p. Even the GTX980 Ti reaches close to those numbers on the highest settings on 1440p, so I don't see why you would think the 1070 would do poorly on similar settings. I certainly did my homework before I bought the card.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By MachoFantastico

Got a 1070. Upgraded from an ATI 7970 in my new build so quite the upgrade and my first Nvidia card in over ten years. So far very pleased. I'd had enough of ATI cards personally so it was a no brainer. It was worth it just to experience the Witcher 3 at its best, that as to be one of the most beautifully crafted worlds I've seen. I did consider waiting for the 1060 but I preferred having the headway the 1070 provided. Should note I game at 1080p and the 1070 can handle that easily, I just like having to not worry to much about graphical settings in games.. something that drives me mad with PC gaming.

I feel like I actually got a good deal on my 1070, paid £369 whereas a lot of UK sites appear to now be selling the 1070 for £440+

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

I got my GTX 1080 almost a month ago and I've been pretty happy with it. I use it on my bedroom PC with a 1080p TV and I have to say that while you could definitely consider it "overkill" if you are purely running at 1080p, for me I can't stand aliasing which is why I love DSR (dynamic super resolution) and trust me once you start using DSR, the GTX 1080 stops being overkill especially if you max out all settings in modern games. Not all games are as well optimized as Doom (which can run close to 60 fps on a GTX 1080 even at 3840x2160) and even decently optimized games like Witcher 3 can can chug a little bit when running DSR at above 1.5x on a 1080p screen (>1440p). But DSR to me is far superior than running any form of AA and games not running in DSR on a 1080p screen just don't look nearly as smooth to me. At this point I almost never run any game at the native 1080p res of my monitor, except for Hitman 2016 which suffers significant framerate drops if I run anything above 1080p.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't have an ASUS Strix 1060 yet because I'm waiting for the inventory to stabilize, but let's just assume that I have one anyway, because I will have one eventually, and that it runs things at 1080p pretty well.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well my 1080 came in today and while the titan x announcement bummed me out a bit at first so far im liking this card. Not much testing yet though.

I cant find the optiom for fast sync as i wanted to test that in older games, but for some reason i dont have the option?

Ill update later after i get some more time with it.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I don't have an ASUS Strix 1060 yet because I'm waiting for the inventory to stabilize, but let's just assume that I have one anyway, because I will have one eventually, and that it runs things at 1080p pretty well.

Might want to wait for prices to go down a bit. As much as I love the Strix cards, $330 for a 1060 seems like way too much. That's 970-980 performance for... 970 price.

xGryfter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By xGryfter

I grabbed an Evga GTX1080 for $650 and flipped it for $700 then grabbed the ASUS GTX1080 Strix OC and I'm loving it. I personally don't believe there is such a thing as overkill when it comes to video cards if you play a wide range of games. My goal is always 60fps at max settings so the longer a video card can perform at those levels the happier I am. I game on a 1080p projector so it's unlikely I'll be upgrading to 4k anytime soon... unless I win the lottery.

I haven't used the DSR option yet (I forgot it was there). I just turned it on (keeping it at 130% for now) so we'll see how it goes next time I play. My only worry is how it will perform with the Oculus. I'll likely have to turn it off if it can't hold stable at 90 fps.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By frytup

@aktivity said:
    @colourful_hippie said:
    @aktivity said:
    @colourful_hippie said:
    @jasonmasters said:

So what your saying is that if I am only on a 1080p monitor, I should get a 1070?

Yes. A gtx 1080 makes more sense when you're gaming at 1440p and also makes it possible to play games at 4k on a single card at reduced settings.

I got a EVGA GTX 1080 FE (I know I should have waited but having money to burn and not caring about OC made me get one). I'm enjoying it a whole lot. I'm able to enjoy Rise of the Tomb Raider maxed at 1440p/60fps. A 1070 would have only handled the game at 30-40fps

The 1070 is overkill for 1080p in most games and can easily get you 60fps on Rise of the Tomb Raider with maxed settings on 1440p. If you're playing on 1080p you should only choose the 1070 over the 1060 if you want to future proof.

Not sure what your definition of maxed settings is but there are benchmarks out there of the 1070 not reaching 60 for the most part. You're totally right on the 1070 for future proofing hence why I recommend it for 1080p gaming in the long run.

It literally gets an average 60-70+ fps on almost every game benchmark shown in reviews with maxed out settings on 1440p. Even the GTX980 Ti reaches close to those numbers on the highest settings on 1440p, so I don't see why you would think the 1070 would do poorly on similar settings. I certainly did my homework before I bought the card.

Unfortunately, a lot of testing sites don't fully explain the settings they're using. For instance, failing to note that Witcher 3 "ultra" benchmarks often have hairworks turned off. Personally, I don't really consider that maxed settings. Testing my own 1070 at "1200p" (1920x1200 - pushing maybe 10% more pixels than 1080p) on ultra and hairworks, I average 65-69FPS. It's safe to say 1440p will be lower.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@frytup said:
    @aktivity said:
    @colourful_hippie said:
    @aktivity said:
    @colourful_hippie said:
    @jasonmasters said:

Unfortunately, a lot of testing sites don't fully explain the settings they're using. For instance, failing to note that Witcher 3 "ultra" benchmarks often have hairworks turned off. Personally, I don't really consider that maxed settings. Testing my own 1070 at 1200p with ultra and hairworks, I average 65-69FPS. It's safe to say 1440p will be lower.

Exactly. I have every knob and dialed turned to 11 for Tomb Raider on my 1080 and even then it will drop a frame or two from 60 from time to time. A 1070 will of course be more choppy.

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@colourful_hippie: That sounds more like monitor refreshrate desync. I run Tomb Raider maxed out at around 90 fps with my 980ti with G-sync (v-sync off). Hardly drop to 60 at any time.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@turtlebird95 said:

@facelessvixen said:

Might want to wait for prices to go down a bit. As much as I love the Strix cards, $330 for a 1060 seems like way too much. That's 970-980 performance for... 970 price.

Honestly, the price-to-performance comparisons to the 900 series doesn't matter to me, especially since I'm upgrading from a 750 Ti and will have a significant improvement from that either way. If I were being budget conscious, I would go for one of the shorter EVGA 1060s for $250 or wait for a 1050. But I have more breathing room compared to when I was first building my PC a year and a half ago, so I'm willing to pay the extra $59 (since I was talking about the non OC version of the 1060 Strix) for the good looks that I want.

Sometimes you just gotta say "fuck it" y'know?

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My 1070 has been crushing absolutely everything at 1080p. I got the MSI Gaming X, which is sitting comfortable at 2100mhz.

I just ordered this 1440p monitor, so that'll be the real test. I love my super high framereate at 1080p. Hopefully stepping up to 1440p doesn't make me wish I got a better card.

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@thatonedudenick: it won't with current games, next gen dx12/vulcan games is another thing though...

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By aktivity

@frytup said:
    @aktivity said:
    @colourful_hippie said:
    @aktivity said:
    @colourful_hippie said:
    @jasonmasters said:

Unfortunately, a lot of testing sites don't fully explain the settings they're using. For instance, failing to note that Witcher 3 "ultra" benchmarks often have hairworks turned off. Personally, I don't really consider that maxed settings. Testing my own 1070 at "1200p" (1920x1200 - pushing maybe 10% more pixels than 1080p) on ultra and hairworks, I average 65-69FPS. It's safe to say 1440p will be lower.

I've read a fair amount of reviews prior to my purchase, they all mentioned hairworks being turned off in some form. The preset settings are generally very clearly mentioned. Which makes sense if you're trying to make decent comparisons. Hairworks is obviously a brand specific option that will tank fps for the competitions card, which is why every comparison chart has it turned off. The same way AMD TressFx back in the day would tank fps on Nvidia cards.

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went from 970s SLI'd to a 1080. I'm an idiot I know, but I really hated SLI.

1080 is dope tho.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@turtlebird95 said:

@facelessvixen said:

Honestly, the price-to-performance comparisons to the 900 series doesn't matter to me, especially since I'm upgrading from a 750 Ti and will have a significant improvement from that either way. If I were being budget conscious, I would go for one of the shorter EVGA 1060s for $250 or wait for a 1050. But I have more breathing room compared to when I was first building my PC a year and a half ago, so I'm willing to pay the extra $59 (since I was talking about the non OC version of the 1060 Strix) for the good looks that I want.

Sometimes you just gotta say "fuck it" y'know?

Yeah, I feel that. I'm in a similar position as you as well, much more flexibility as far as what I can afford to throw in my PC now vs when I built mine. I'm also looking to upgrade from a 750 ti to either a 1060 or 480 when they are readily in stock. (I COULD get a 1070, but that would be stupidly overkill for the shit I play lol)

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On this 1080 i just played a little bit of Assassins creed syndicate in 4k, and even with like 35-40fps it's possible the best looking game i've ever seen. (I do use a sherlock holmes reshade preset that already made it look amazing at 1080p). My monitor up-scales really well so i've been playing at hybrid resolutions in-between 4k and 1440p that keep a pretty steady 60fps and only slightly less graphic fidelity.

The card out the box clocks up to 2020mhz but usually settles around the 1900's, i'm probably not going to mess with any overclocks atm unless performance gets crazy bad for some reason. Card stays cool, quiet and has a very good factory overclock so far definitely seems worth the upgrade.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.