Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

GTX 275 Perf. 1680x1050 vs 1920x1200

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Can anyone elaborate on what performance would be like if I was to switch from my 1680x1050 res monitor, to a 1920x1200 24" screen? 

I am currently running a GTX 275 and get excellent frames in almost all games, minus the usual resource hogs. 

Suggestions or experiences are welcome.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Well X1050 is no big deal, neither is 1080p, which is slightly slower than X1050. If you go to benchmark sites, they always show three benchmarks, X1050, X1200 and X1600. Usually you will lose more frames, that's because it's really rendering more graphics. Your videocard shouldn't have a problem with X1200 though, it's will run well enough. Maybe certain games like crysis, or more demanding games you will notice a few slowdowns. Alot of the time, those running it at higer resolutions does use sli. Not only does that give you more video memory, which is good, it also gives you more framerates.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Binman88

There will certainly be a performance hit, depending on the game and the settings you're currently using. You may have to drop down a few settings to make up the lost FPS.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sodiumCyclops
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

Well X1050 is no big deal, neither is 1080p, which is slightly slower than X1050. If you go to benchmark sites, they always show three benchmarks, X1050, X1200 and X1600. Usually you will lose more frames, that's because it's really rendering more graphics. Your videocard shouldn't have a problem with X1200 though, it's will run well enough. Maybe certain games like crysis, or more demanding games you will notice a few slowdowns. Alot of the time, those running it at higer resolutions does use sli. Not only does that give you more video memory, which is good, it also gives you more framerates.

"
    No thanks, a 100% price increase for 30% perf. is not my idea of a worthy investment.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By JJWeatherman

Well obviously your frames are going to drop. Try looking at some tests at Tom's Hardware or something. Usually they test a variety of resolutions and several games so you can really see all the possible differences.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Would it be worth it to go 1920x1200? or just 1920x1080? 

Keep in mind I do sometimes run my PC through my 1080p TV and do not see much difference in FPS at all, in fact sometimes it seems to up a little more 0.o

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @sodiumCyclops: I agree, still I don't like the X1050 rez anymore since I went to 1080p with a hdtv as a monitor. Your monitor's aspect ratio is 16:10, 1080p is 16:9 which is widescreen. This X1200 monitor is also 16:10 aspect ratio, it would look slightly more squared, you have more estate to view web pages vertically and it does look better in motion. You simply have more pixels and more pixels is always sharper. Look at 720p compared to native 1080p, it's noticible to me. 

To the post above, the rez is 1920X1200, the other monitor is 1920X1080. It's simply similar, except a bit taller, which gives more of a squarish look compared to 1080p. You monitor right now is 1680X1050, you lose a bit of the side rez pixels, not alot of verticle pixels. Only 30 pixels vertically and it runs fast because your videocard can handle the rez well. 

You don't have to invest in a new monitor if your happy with your current X1050 monitor, it won't challenge your videocard though.
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By SlasherMan
    @sodiumCyclops:  A GTX 275 will be just fine at 1920*1200/1080.  No need to worry.
    korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By korwin

1050 to 1200 is actually a much bigger leap than you might initially assume (1764000 pixels vs 2304000 pixels).  1680x1050 is a lower resolution than the old 5:4 mack daddy 1600x1200, the performance hit can bit pretty noticable depending on the title on lower end hardware.  That being said the 275 will handle it just fine.

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

I'm using a 1200 monitor right now with a 5850 which is slightly less powerful than your 275.  Increasing the resolution your monitor is running does lower your FPS but on 99% of games there aren't any noticeable performance drops.   

I haven't noticed any performance drops with stuff like Just Cause 2, TF2 or SupCom 2.  Honestly Crysis and Napoleon Total War are the only games I've noticed any performance drops when upgrading my resolution and even then it's not like games are unplayable or anything.

Wrect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Wrect

Ask the guys on Tested.com
    Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Alexander

Get the 1920x1200 and turn the resolution down in games that cause you any issues.

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By IncredibleBulk92
    @PeasForFees: Oh yea, you are right.  I've just realised that's why I bought the 5850 over the 275 which were about the same price at the time. 

I still think it's worth getting a 1200 monitor and following Alexander's advice. Just be willing to drop the resolution if you run into any problems.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Geno

GTX 275 is a good mid-high end card that will play most games at that resolution just fine. You will just have to vary your AA settings, but it should be able to handle 4x in most games while at high to highest in-game quality settings. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.