Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

How StarCraft 2 made me sad.

murdocz28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By murdocz28

Played the beta for StarCraft 2, which was my first time playing any StarCraft game, and really enjoyed it. Now that the game is out, I have been playing it a lot and wanted to look into upgrading my PC to get the most out of the game. Well, my  procrastination over the last 4 or so years has really come back to bite me. I wanted to get a new graphics card but after reading a performance review for SC2 I found my CPU was the real bottleneck of my system. After looking into getting a new CPU, I came to find that my motherboard does not support the newer CPUs. I am now looking at a major replacement effort for my current PC or buying a new one. Still on the fence on what to do. Any suggestions? 

Also, anyone else feeling the pain of upgrading for this game or any others? 

The performance review article.

Avatar image for themaniacsgnome
    TheManiacsGnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By TheManiacsGnome

Swapping the mobo out for a new one isn't a major operation, just make sure your power supply is up to the task.

fallen_elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By fallen_elite

Make sure you check for a BIOS update for your motherboard. Often times they will update it to support newer CPUs.  

Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Colonel_Cool

If you don't upgrade frequently, then you might consider going with AMD parts since they make their procs backwards compatible with older mobos.

Humankillerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Humankillerx

You need to find out what wattage your PSU has first.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By ajamafalous
    @fallen_elite said:
    " Make sure you check for a BIOS update for your motherboard. Often times they will update it to support newer CPUs.   "
    He likely doesn't have the correct socket for new CPUs.
    Humankillerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Humankillerx

Not to mention you need to know if your Motherboard supports PCIx16 slots for a videocard

akamu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By akamu

I'm assuming that by 'buy' you mean from someplace like Dell, since replacing your motherboard, cpu, memory, etc... is the major part of building a new machine. If you have the cash, just build a new rig. Stuff like case, drives (both optical and hard disk) could be reused (or the old machine could be turned into a house server if you don't have one). Tested did a good guide that included a decent build. If you don't have the cash to replace the main parts (mobo, cpu, memory, gpu) then I'd just wait and save up until you do. Either way, pre-built machines tend to be over priced and loaded with crap ware.

I tend to just build a new machine from scratch every few years and then filter the old hardware down into my other computers.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By shirogane

I found my Alienware laptop that i recently bought couldn't handle SC2 when i had massive amounts of units. Even though it can play anything else on High/Highest. 
    So i ended up building a new PC, and now i have a proper PC. 

From what you're saying, you're essentially changing every part, might as well go for a new PC. Those are the most expensive parts in the PC after all.
    mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By mosdl
    @Humankillerx said:
    " Not to mention you need to know if your Motherboard supports PCIx16 slots for a videocard "
    This.  Plus you may need a better power supply.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.