Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

I need some advice for buying a gaming PC

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By CenturionCajun

Alright, the time has come to buy my first new computer in going on three years. At the moment I'm using an ancient Lenovo I bought from Office Depot my senior year of college. As you can imagine it is not a graphical or processing powerhouse. Heck, it doesn't even have Windows Vista. Looking at the large number of MMOs which have been released in ensuing years and the quick (at least I hope) approach of The Old Republic and Starcraft II I'm thinking it's time to upgrade. I'm not looking for something horrifically expensive as I have student loans that are going to slowly kill me. 

Something in the couple thousand dollar range at the most which will last me two or three years would be just fine. I know tons about console gaming but when it comes to the PC side of things I am almost clueless. At the moment I'm looking around sites like Alienware to see some of their pre-builds but I have no idea what's better than another.

So, does anyone have any advice?

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Skytylz

$2,000 will get you a pretty  bad ass computer.... so go core i7 and maybe a 5870 and crossfire it someday!

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By salad10203

Wow, thats alot of cash, I would definitely look around.  If you can build it yourself, it is usually cheaper.  Stores online and real will vary ALOT with their prices, so don't jump the gun.  
    http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/landingpages/intel/i7/
    This was first link I saw with somewhat reasonable prices.
    GL

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CenturionCajun

Well, I figured the expression go big or go home would apply well to building a gaming PC. I'd rather make the investment now than have to worry about being underpowered in a year. Of course if I could get something nice for less that is also perfectly reasonable.

@Skytylz: I have no idea what you just said at the end there. :P

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Skytylz
    @CenturionCajun: Ok don't worry about it then.
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CenturionCajun

I suppose it's just an example of my complete lack of knowledge about the finer details of PC workings. If you would like to explain I would be happy to listen.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Skytylz said:

" $2,000 will get you a pretty  bad ass computer.... so go core i7 and maybe a 5870 and crossfire it someday! "

2000???  That's a lot money for a decent games machine.

@salad10203 said:

" Wow, thats alot of cash, I would definitely look around.  If you can build it yourself, it is usually cheaper.  Stores online and real will vary ALOT with their prices, so don't jump the gun.   http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/landingpages/intel/i7/ This was first link I saw with somewhat reasonable prices. GL "

Pretty good recommendation for a good place to start looking.

@CenturionCajun:

Look at the link salad10203 gave you.  Click the Customize button for the Gamer Xtreme XT (or just click the link as I've done it for you).  Change the graphics card to the ATI 5850 and add the ASUS  VH242H 24" TFTTN 1920x1080 LCD monitor and you a pretty damn powerful games beast for around $1500 ($1504 to be exact).  That's a nice machine imho for someone like you who's starting out and who wants the convenience of a pre-built PC.
    wosifat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By wosifat

I hear everyone saying building is cheaper than buying a prebuilt system, but what's the best way to get the OS (and I don't mean Linux?)

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CenturionCajun
    @SeriouslyNow: Alright, I'm going to nod and agree with what you just said. It looks pretty impressive. Lord, I hate being this clueless.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @CenturionCajun said:
    " @SeriouslyNow: Alright, I'm going to nod and agree with what you just said. It looks pretty impressive. Lord, I hate being this clueless. "
    Heh.  No problem dude.  I find myself in the same position when buying a car.  I know how they work and I know how to drive one, but I don't know how to differentiate a good second hand deal from a money pit.

I took a good look over those parts via the customize link and I can safely say that it's a damn decent gaming box and should certainly should have no trouble at all running all the current AAA games including Crysis, GTA IV, Dragon Age : Origins, Batman Arkham Asylum and the Mass Effect games at max details at the monitor's native 1080p (1920x1080) resolution.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.