Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

I need to find the save files for all my installed games but cant

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Where do i find them if not in My Document or My Games (in My Documents) or any of the AppData folders ? 

i found them for most of my games, but not  

I'm tired of having to reboot my computer / re-install windows every few months (for whatever reason) and starting from scratch with my games :( 

Thanks for any help. im running Vista Home Premium 32-bit
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Binman88

Are they Steam installs? Some of my Steam saves are in C -> Program Data -> Steam

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I formatted lately and had to start all over again for most of the games, except steam games which are all on another drive.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Binman88 said:
    " Are they Steam installs? Some of my Steam saves are in C -> Program Data -> Steam "
    no they're not. my only steam games are orange box and mw2, and i found those in D:\Steam\SteamApps 

@HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

I formatted lately and had to start all over again for most of the games, except steam games.

"
    dude, DUDE, you have no fucking idea how many times i started all over for so many games (formatted for like 6 times in the past year.. weird crashing incidents) and i dont know why the hell i didnt think of seeking the saves files til now. 

I'm kinda uncomfortable with games like Half-Life 2, Crysis, Assassin's Creed and GTA IV because i played the first levels of each one so many times then having to format.. and those games are SOME OF MY FAVOURITES. 
    I know you're a Crysis looney, so im telling u this: i fucking love Crysis and i really wanna beat it once more but the first 2-3 levels ive played so much that i now hate and wish i could skip to the action.. if i jump out of that plane one more time im gonna have a sex change .
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Geno
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @Binman88 said:
    " Are they Steam installs? Some of my Steam saves are in C -> Program Data -> Steam "
    no they're not. my only steam games are orange box and mw2, and i found those in D:\Steam\SteamApps 

@HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

I formatted lately and had to start all over again for most of the games, except steam games.

"
    dude, DUDE, you have no fucking idea how many times i started all over for so many games (formatted for like 6 times in the past year.. weird crashing incidents) and i dont know why the hell i didnt think of seeking the saves files til now.  I'm kinda uncomfortable with games like Half-Life 2, Crysis, Assassin's Creed and GTA IV because i played the first levels of each one so many times then having to format.. and those games are SOME OF MY FAVOURITES. I know you're a Crysis looney, so im telling u this: i fucking love Crysis and i really wanna beat it once more but the first 2-3 levels ive played so much that i now hate and wish i could skip to the action.. if i jump out of that plane one more time im gonna have a sex change . "
    I'm pretty sure you can load map from console. 
    Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Black_Raven

The games readme file should tell you where the save files are, if it doesn't then that's pretty stupid. 

Why exactly do you need to reformat your PC so often? 

Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Jiggah

Some of the time they are installed in the Documents folder.  They could also be installed in the hidden folder located at c:\users\"your name"\appdata\.  Inside that appdata folder, there should be 3 other folders that could contain the settings/saves for games, usually it's in the local folder.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By Hamst3r
    @Ahmad_Metallic: Is there anything in the game's own folder? Sometimes games are that simple, just a folder or save file wherever you installed them.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Ahmad_Metallic: 

• Computer
    • "Organise" Button
    • Folder and Search options
    • View tab
    • check "Show Hidden Files and Folder"
    • C: Drive
    • Users folder
    • *your user name* folder
    • AppData Folder (it was hidden from view before)
    • Check in All three folders that you now see : Local, LocalLow and Roaming for folders relating to those games.  Your save files might be there.

OR

Check your "Documents" folder for a " My Games" folder - your saves may also be there
    Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

#10  Edited By Savage

This may be obvious, but you can do a search in Windows for the name of the game and look through the folders in the results.  Chances are the saves folder is inside one with the name of the game, which is what you'd turn up.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Geno said:
    " I'm pretty sure you can load map from console.  "
    what ?  you can load the single player levels without having to beat them first ?

@Black_Raven said:
    " The games readme file should tell you where the save files are, if it doesn't then that's pretty stupid.  Why exactly do you need to reformat your PC so often?  "
    no, didnt find the Redme for 2 of em, and the third had a weird Readme file format.  i format my PC so often because weird shit happens and the computer starts crashing. it only happened like 10 times since i bought the computer in October 2007, and the last 5 times, believe it or not, were caused by the bad timing and interference of the fucking Windows Updates which is why im update-phobic right now .. but ive been doing great for 2-3 months now and planning on keeping it that way. 

@Hamst3r said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic: Is there anything in the game's own folder? Sometimes games are that simple, just a folder or save file wherever you installed them. "
    thanks, that worked for Painkiller.. and i googled Mini Ninjas' issue and found them too. two more games to go (for now) 

@Jiggah:   &    @SeriouslyNow:    thanks for your contribution but i already mentioned checking there in the main post. 

@Savage said:
    " This may be obvious, but you can do a search in Windows for the name of the game and look through the folders in the results.  Chances are the saves folder is inside one with the name of the game, which is what you'd turn up. "

tried it, nothing. thanks tho 
    Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
    Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

I formatted lately and had to start all over again for most of the games, except steam games which are all on another drive.

"
    Same here, really hate games that keep their data in My Documents because I usually install all my games on my D drive, while Windows is on C. I often forget to look their before formatting.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Geno
    @Ahmad_Metallic: open console with tilde(~), enter con_restricted 0, then enter map mapname where mapname is the level that you want. You can find all of the names of the levels in your Crysis/Game/Levels folder.  

I believe the Maw uses Steam Cloud, and Eufloria saves can be found here:  C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\eufloria\Resources\us er.settings
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Geno said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic: open console with tilde(~), enter con_restricted 0, then enter map mapname where mapname is the level that you want. You can find all of the names of the levels in your Crysis/Game/Levels folder.  "
    i shall try it later, does it work for other games too? i wish i could skip all the canal bullshit in hl2 I WISHHHHHH
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Geno
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:

" @Geno said:

" @Ahmad_Metallic: open console with tilde(~), enter con_restricted 0, then enter map mapname where mapname is the level that you want. You can find all of the names of the levels in your Crysis/Game/Levels folder.  "
    i shall try it later, does it work for other games too? i wish i could skip all the canal bullshit in hl2 I WISHHHHHH "
    http://uk.cheats.ign.com/ob2/068/492/492830.html
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Geno: My God! you rock.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Suicidal_SNiper said:
    " @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

"
    Same here, really hate games that keep their data in My Documents because I usually install all my games on my D drive, while Windows is on C. I often forget to look their before formatting. "
    That is one of the most annoying things that has happened to Windows gaming since MS started meddling with gaming standards.  Yes, I can see it's convenient for noobs who get their machines pre-installed with one partition taking up the entirety of their drives, but for the experienced user who rarely uses their whole drive for the C: partition, or who has many drives and partitions for many uses, it just means more work to keep a hold of your game saves.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Geno
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:

" @Geno: My God! you rock. "

I know, you don't have to tell me. 
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    Welcome to 2004!
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    Welcome to 2004! "
    thanks, its like me to be there but not be there at the same time, you know ?
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    Welcome to 2004! "
    thanks, its like me to be there but not be there at the same time, you know ? "
    Indeed. Now where were we again?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.