Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

If you have the money, would you go pc?

• 123 results
    chickdigger802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By chickdigger802

Now with the popularity of PC gaming rising and large publishers like EA praising it, it seems like a good time to ask this.  
    More for the people without decent comps but other people should chime in as well ;)

A little clarification.  
    I'm not saying that if you would go pc exclusive but if you could treat a new pc as a game console. How would you pit it against other consoles in your decision making process before purchase?

If you had the money, would you make/buy a gaming computer or pick up a current/next gen console?  And let's say your friends will appear magically where ever you decide ;)

For 2011 I can't really think of more than a handful high profile games that aren't gonna appear on pc. And besides a few games (Mass Effect 2 played like a console game with no joypad support), even if the game is a lousy port, the experience is still usually better on pc. And there are a few noticeable pc only titles this year like Witcher 2, Guild Wars 2, Old Republic, Battlefield 3 (let's face it, this is a pc game).  

So yea, pc gaming. Good shit.

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By HydraHam

I wouldn't go straight PC gaming i never really cared for it other than for starcraft, but if i had an extra 1000+ to drop on a PC would i? sure, i wouldn't mind playing BF3, Crysis, Crysis 2, GW2 etc. on PC i just don't have the extra $ and unless i win the lottery i doubt i ever will.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Yanngc33

I wouldn't directly go PC. I'd only play certain PC specific games on it

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#4  Edited By Little_Socrates

Next console, for sure. That way, I'm buying myself equipment that's almost guaranteed to last at least five or six years. PC upgrades move much faster, and I'm not savvy enough to keep up.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Well 2011 certainly seem to look like a year for PC gaming and you don't need top dollar to get in on the action. 
    I could never go PC exclusively given some of the games just playing better with a controller.

But yes, this year I'm saving up for a new PC without a doubt.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Jack268

I have the money. I have a PC. I have a PS3, a 360, a Wii, a DS and a PSP. PROBLEM? 

Next generation I'm probably picking up one console+one handheld maximum though(and my PC of courrse). Only reason I went this crazy was because it's been a long generation since the DS and PSP were released back in -04/05 and there's been a lot of nice exclusives for each console. 

Also, hopefully Windows 8 really is going to focus on gaming more and we'll get even more support from the publishers so owning all those consoles to keep up with exclusives won't be as necessary. 

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By DystopiaX

Yeah. I'm about to drop 800-1000 dollars on a pc. Diablo, scii, bf3, and more is worth it, plus you get mods and better graphics. Most games are coming out on pc anyway, and I'm not missing much in terms of exclusives(i have all current gen systems btw) and mouse and keyboard is definitely the way to go.

chickdigger802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By chickdigger802

@PhatSeeJay: The thing is that most pc games these days have native 360 controller support. So you really can't play that card anymore :)
    And with how pc and console are tied so together this generation, you probably can stay relevant with pc gaming with 3-4 year old hardware. And the upgrade cost shouldn't be much more than replacing your busted 360 or ps3 ;P

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#10  Edited By zidd

There are games that can only work on PCs in their current form like RTS games and battlefield, however I prefer to play on a console. If I had a kickass PC it wouldn't necessarily make me use it for more games.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By mfpantst

No- sitting on my couch has too much appeal.  I've also gotten so used to a game pad that using a mouse and keyboard (even while sitting on my couch) isn't that fun.  Plus I've invested more than the $ for a computer in TV, console, sound, couch, so I look at it like instead of spending the 1500+ on a computer, I spend 2000+ on a living room...

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DystopiaX
    @PhatSeeJay
    Well 2011 certainly seem to look like a year for PC gaming and you don't need top dollar to get in on the action. 
    I could never go PC exclusively given some of the games just playing better with a controller.

But yes, this year I'm saving up for a new PC without a doubt.
    Get a USB xbox controller, profit. Use it for all bad console ports, use a controller for everything else.
    Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hunkulese

Current consoles are really starting to show their age. Almost every port is now superior on PC. If you have a high end PC and a gamepad there is really no reason to play console games. All the major titles are better on PC: Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Dead Space, Dragon Age, Darksiders and Need for Speed are all examples of recent ports that were better on a PC. If you're interested at all in 3D gaming at all you should be going PC. PC's can do 3D gaming properly right now and consoles can't. This doesn't even cover the many PC exclusives that are fantastic. My 360 is gathering dust and I've had less and less reason to use it this past year.

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Jambones

Hmm, a grand for doing whatever? As I've spent most of my morning playing Zork and thinking of ways to pursuade someone to gift me a copy of Minecraft, I'd have to say that would be amazing. 

I'd probably stick with a console. I love the PC but I just haven't had time to keep up-to-date on tech so I'd have no idea what hardware was sufficient.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @chickdigger802 said:

"  @PhatSeeJay: The thing is that most pc games these days have native 360 controller support. So you really can't play that card anymore :) And with how pc and console are tied so together this generation, you probably can stay relevant with pc gaming with 3-4 year old hardware. And the upgrade cost shouldn't be much more than replacing your busted 360 or ps3 ;P "

Of course I can still "play that card". If I play a multiplayer based game that probably plays better with a controller in my personal opinion, I wouldn't attach it to my PC because of it. I would get steamrolled by the pixel precision PC players on a mouse and keyboard. Not to mention that I like to break things up and lie back in my couch in front of my TV and play a game. Fiddling with cables to my computer and so on is just not worth such trouble. How I think things feel is my own opinion and it dictates how I spend my dollars, I don't tell people what they should go and do by it. My card, my play.

And yes thank you for repeating my point that you don't need a lot of money to have strong hardware, because apparently my comment sounded like the complete opposite?
    recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By recroulette

After I got my gaming PC I didn't really stop playing console games, just branched off and split my time. 

Except for Christmas time and the Steam sales, didn't touch my consoles for about 2 weeks.

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FlyingRat

Nah... I prefer console games for the most part.

chickdigger802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By chickdigger802
    @PhatSeeJay:  lol second part wasn't pointing at you. Should add another space. 

Also playing multiplayer on a console won't prevent you from getting steamrolled by the kids with crazy modded out controllers. Not hating on your opinions just would love a little more elaboration before getting all defensive ;)
    wormz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By wormz

I did just that. I've always been a PC gamer, but my computer was few years old and and I wanted to get ready for 2011. Lots of good stuff coming. Steam also makes everything so much easier and cheaper.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By NMC2008

Nope, I am strictly a console gamer, sure PC is better but I don't feel right paying extra(video card updates, possible processor & ram updates) money to play a game I can play elsewhere for less money and hassles, also, I am not a supreme graphics whore, I mean  sure I dig awesome visuals but I am not at PC Gamer levels of graphic superiority, so no, I wouldn't even give PC gaming the time of day.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

I came from the PC to the Xbox/Xbox 360.  However, the 360 is starting
    to show its age & so the Consoles are moving towards the back area
    once more.

I've got a ton of Steam games, using Windows 7 x64 and 8G RAM. The
    video card is standard $150 model but it handles games just fine. Large
    30" or more flat-screen monitor, with DVI.  The games I've run so far run
    very fast, which include DoW 2, Champions Online, STO, EVE, Bit Trip Runner, 
    Blade Kitten, & I've tested but haven't played fully some other games such 
    as GalCiv 1 & 2, the new Total War Shogun 2 demo, & Dragon Age 2 demo.  
    Even old games such as Battlefield 2142 work.  Many games work out of
    the box with the 360 Controller & some such as STO, can be programmed
    to work for both space & ground.

In some ways, PC gaming is cheaper. You can get an HD (or DVI) flat
    screen (HD) that is smaller & cheaper (about $200) & have a better quality 
    viewing experience than from a living room game system, where you
    spend $650+ for a decent HD TV or thousands more on a large-sized
    one.  Add for a good surround system & you can easily spend $5000
    or more. I think I've spent $7-$8000 on my a/v gear & that was 7 years
    ago, when having an Xbox was only a gleam in my eye.

The problem with having both is that internal battle you have about 
    which game/system you should be playing & I get torn between the
    360 & the PC every weekend, having to make a decision.  Right now,
    the PC is sucking me in:  DoW 2 + expansions, weird arcade games
    like Bit Trip Runner, & Magika & my vast Steam backlog that I still 
    have to plow through.

lightsoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By lightsoda

Just like the stock markets, it has its ups and downs. I believe PC's and consoles can, and will, continue to co-exist.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By melcene

I have a gaming PC and play on it.  Some games are still better on consoles though.  So I will continue to be a console AND pc gamer.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @chickdigger802 said:
    " @PhatSeeJay:  lol second part wasn't pointing at you. Should add another space.    Also playing multiplayer on a console won't prevent you from getting steamrolled by the kids with crazy modded out controllers. Not hating on your opinions just would love a little more elaboration before getting all defensive ;) "
    Then ask for them instead of contradicting my opinion with assumptions, it's not hard, and I feel less insulted when someone simply asks what I mean. 

Of course I can get steamrolled in multiplayer on a console as well but that doesn't happen often enough on a console for me to care. Also it's a bit less with how the game plays with a controller as much as the feeling of sitting back in my couch or bed with a controller in hand and my TV hooked up to the console. It's a matter of convenience that you can't get with a PC. You'd have to either get up to your rigged PC and change to whatever you'd want to do and then go back or swap between controller and keyboard and so on. Sometimes it's just really nice to press one button and be on my way.

There. Sorry for getting defensive.
    Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

I have a normal PC and it's doing okay for now. If I had the money I'd buy a PS3 instead, though.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Yes.

I've purchased a few games on Steam that I can't play on my current PC, which sucks because I'd really like to ;___;

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @melcene said:

I will continue to be a console AND pc gamer.

Gotta spread that love around!
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By nintendoeats

Realistically, I am going to own everything. However, I would love to have a dedicated gaming and media PC hooked up to my TV. If there were no exclusives, I would probably just do that and sod the consoles.

Of course, some games are better in the traditional PC format, so it would have to be a relatively painful process to switch over to a monitor and keyboard. That can be arranged.

Really, consoles don't have anything meaningful to me except for exclusive games. There will always be market for them though, because most people don't want to think about hardware.

gabha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By gabha

Already have a great gaming PC, still vastly prefer console games.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By melcene
    @nintendoeats said:
    " I would probably just do that and sod the consoles.  "
    You've been hanging around Oghren or Varric too much.
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#31  Edited By Bollard

I had a job for 6 months last year, and being a student it left me money to spare, so I saved it and built a PC. Now I'm looking forward to playing BF3, Skyrim, GW2 etc. all on max and I can't say enough how excited I am! I still use my console to play with friends of course, as atm I don't have too many PC buddies. As long as I can afford it I think I will always want to play on PC, even if I have grown up (and become good as) a console player. I'm way better at console games than PC that's for sure!

chickdigger802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By chickdigger802
    @PhatSeeJay:  no problem. 
    I do point out that you also have to walk over to your 360 to swap out disks as well. 

On another note, my plush office chair works fine if I wanna lean back and play some pc games with a controller.
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#33  Edited By citizenkane

I would definitely play more PC games, but I wouldn't become a PC fanboy.  I would just play it as much as my consoles.

chickdigger802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By chickdigger802

A little clarification.  
    I'm not saying that if you would go pc exclusive but if you could treat a new pc as a game console. How would you pit it against other consoles in your decision making process before purchase?

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Shadow

I'm extremely annoyed at the lack of console MMO's...good ones anyway.  I would get a computer that can actually run one without constant freezing if I had some money.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Rattle618

Consoles are for chumps.

Badhands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Badhands

I own PS3 and Xbox 360, but also a gaming PC and even when the next gen of consoles comes out I will stay PC mainly. 

NorthSarge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#38  Edited By NorthSarge

does spending ~$3,000 on a mac count? i use it for video editing, but it runs sc2 nicely and hoping the same for diablo 3 when that hits.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By jacdg

If I had the money, sure, games look a lot better, there are some exclusives that I'm really interested in + mods and free updates for games such as Monday Night Combat. However I'm not tech savvy at all, so I would need to get a lot of help building a strong machine/when to update it and with what, also I honestly prefer playing games with a controller, but I guess I could get used to the mouse and keyboard since it's more precise. So short answer, probably yes, are you going to give me the money now?

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Cameron
    @Lind_L_Taylor: 

Your statement about PC gaming being cheaper makes little sense. You can easily hook an Xbox 360 or PS3 up to a monitor and a good surround sound system costs just as much for a PC as it does for anything else. My point is that the accessories surrounding whatever box you choose can be the same for either platformDon't, but the PC box is way more expensive.

Don't get me wrong, I think you get what you pay for in most cases, but PC gaming is not cheaper than console gaming.
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @chickdigger802 said:

" @PhatSeeJay:  no problem.  I do point out that you also have to walk over to your 360 to swap out disks as well.   On another note, my plush office chair works fine if I wanna lean back and play some pc games with a controller. "

Of course but I wouldn't place my PC next to my TV and my TV is not even in the same room as my rig. Changing disc on my console is a minor inconvenience compared to potentially doing it on my PC.

A console and a PC is just two different play styles for me. PC I sit up straight and focus and with the console I lay back and relax. 
    krystians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#42  Edited By krystians

I prefer consoles, but I understand the benefits of PC gaming. I just don't want to shell out all that money on PC, when on console will last 5-6 years, and of course be very playable at the 6 year mark.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By azrailx
    @PhatSeeJay: false,some games play better (pretty much just 3rd person and racing games) 
    pc has better controls for fps,rpg, and rts
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By melcene
    @chickdigger802 said:
    " A little clarification.   I'm not saying that if you would go pc exclusive but if you could treat a new pc as a game console. How would you pit it against other consoles in your decision making process before purchase? "
    I'm not getting what you're saying, then.  For many of us, our PC is already a gaming console.  I would imagine that pitting it against other consoles in the decision making process would be just like when you go out and make the decision between Xbox 360 or PS3.  Which has more of the games you're interested in?  Which has features you're interested in that the other doesn't?  Which is more price-effective?
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Azteck

Doing that in less than a month, so yes.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @azrailx said:
    " @PhatSeeJay: false,some games play better (pretty much just 3rd person and racing games) pc has better controls for fps,rpg, and rts "
    Yes, thank you for clarifying the obvious. Doesn't change the fact that some games, no matter genre but the ones made specifically for consoles, just feel better to me with a controller.
    Besides, not even sure I mentioned I played any rts- or rpg games on my console?
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

If I had unlimited money and someone to handle all the annoying hassles of getting video card drivers to work with whatever engine a game is using, yes I would use a PC.

But I would still play with a controller for most everything, save maybe strategy games.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#48  Edited By Daveyo520

Yes.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By guiseppe

Nope, I prefer couch or comfortable chair, big screen and surround sound rather than a slightly uncomfortable chair, significantly smaller screen and stereo sound. Besides, even if I were to have the money to get a rig out of this world, it would still be outdated within a year, and I'd have to make the same purchase again. Whereas a console is good to go from day one until it's dead.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ben_H

Absolutely, in fact, I did about a year back.  Between SC2 and all the games I buy for super cheap on Steam, I could not buy a game and have more than enough stuff to keep me happy for the year or two.  I literally play my Xbox 1-2 times a month, and my Wii a bit more since I got Donkey Kong Country Returns for Christmas.  I use my DS more than my consoles (Damn you Pokemon!).  

@PhatSeeJay
    said:

" @chickdigger802 said:

" @PhatSeeJay:  no problem.  I do point out that you also have to walk over to your 360 to swap out disks as well.   On another note, my plush office chair works fine if I wanna lean back and play some pc games with a controller. "

Of course but I wouldn't place my PC next to my TV and my TV is not even in the same room as my rig. Changing disc on my console is a minor inconvenience compared to potentially doing it on my PC.   A console and a PC is just two different play styles for me. PC I sit up straight and focus and the console is to lay back and relax.  "
    That's why you buy everything on Steam or similar services.  No disks required and to install you click an icon and confirm you want to install it.  No CD keys to deal with (except for with Games for Windows Live, and they are auto-filled in so you just have to click a button), no disks, the games stay up to date on their own, and Steam even updates video card drivers if you own an AMD/ATI card.  Much easier and lazier than consoles.   

The days of modifying code and re-installing and hours of patching are long gone for PC gaming.  All you need now is a  decent PC, a Paypal account and a fast internet connection.  You don't even need that great of a PC because of how slow games are improving graphically now.  You can run basically anything on medium to high settings with a $130 video card (A 5770 or the Nvidia equivalent), a $150 processor (An AMD Phenom II 965 or a bit more for an i5), and 50 bucks of RAM, along with a cheap motherboard and a copy of Windows.  For quite cheap, you can get a system nowadays that can not only competently play games, but can do basically anything you throw at it other than the most demanding of applications.  Right now is a pretty good time for PC gaming.

Disks are an extreme rarity now in PC gaming unless you are playing old games (some of which have been patched to not require disks like BF2), even when installing games from a disk, it usually ties the install to your computer making it so you don't need a disk (Eg: Battlefield Bad Company 2).  Even games you buy at retail usually are just a key for Steam and a disk so you can install faster.  After that you treat the game like any other Steam game.  It's basically like installing games to an Xbox but you don't need the disk after that. 

To put into perspective how low requirements for PC gaming are now, our old Pentium D/ ATI Radeon x1950 Pro computer from 2006 can still run most modern games and not even on the lowest settings.  It can run STALKER, SC2, Civ 5, Magicka, and tons of other new games.  It can even run Crysis on medium.  People saying you need to spend tons every year to stay up to date are completely wrong.  A Geforce 8800 paired with an Q6600 can still run basically all games quite well. 

The mentality now for buying a PC is how far you want it to go past medium.  Are you content with a mixture of medium and high?  Buy a PC for well under a thousand.  Want everything to run on high and have a beefy CPU?  Around 1000-1200 will get you that.  Want to be future proofed for 5 years with the latest in video cards and high end processors and an easily overclockable motherboard?  Now you might be getting into 1500+.  Worried about a monitor, you can hook it to your TV with an HDMI cable.  Set up a controller and a wireless mouse and keyboard and you can enjoy sitting on a couch with surround sound.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.