Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Just bought a GTX 1070

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey duders,

Just picked up a gtx 1070, and looking for something good graphically to give it a test run.

Anybody got any good suggestions? Does Doom on PC look tha tmuch better than console (played on PS4 previously) Civ 6? Crysis?

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doom on PC with Vulkan API looks and runs like a dream on PC with my 1070. Also Dishonored 2 and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided both look gorgeous, but there have been some technical issues with them. I think I really just like playing older games with a consistent framerate, even if they aren't pushing my card to the edge.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Gta V is a good test, i don't see why people think Doom is such a graphics powerhouse, its got some good art design in enemies but it's nothing that makes me go "Wow".

BF3 is also a good test.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Crysis 3 is still a pretty good benchmark for graphics cards, especially if you're trying to play it at a higher resolution (so 1440p and above). And The Witcher 3.

Doom is insanely well-optimized. I think it's a pretty great looking game, but it's not as much of a stress test for your card as you might think.

Really, if you want to stress your graphics card, just pick a few recent AAA games and run them at the highest resolutions you can. If you're still using a 1080p monitor, try downsampling from 1440p or even 4k to see what kind of performance you get. Picking a game and turning all of the settings up these days doesn't seem to make anywhere near as much of a difference as it used to, with a handful of exceptions.

Hichael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@burncoat: Do you have Doom installed on an SSD? Also what processor do you have?

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

Civilization VI looks neat, but not in a benchmark kind of way. Also, it's worth noting that a decent chunk of the fanbase actively dislikes Civilization VI. I don't agree with that criticism to be honest, but worth knowing.

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hichael:

I have an I5 6500, haven't purchased Doom yet but would run it off of an SSD.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#8  Edited By clagnaught

I think with DOOM specifically, it is a better showpiece if you have a monitor that outputs higher than 1080p. I went from a 680 GTX that ran DOOM at low to medium settings at 720p, but it still ran at 60 FPS. So when I recently bought a 1440p monitor and a 1080 GTX, DOOM still ran at a high framerate, so the "Wow" factor came from me looking at how big and shiny everything was.

I think some open world games like The Witcher III would make a good test of your 1070.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hichael: I have it installed on a SSD and my CPU is a 6 year old FX-8120. The games not really CPU heavy, though, and my card does all the lifting.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Run VRmark.

CrimsonJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dishonored 2 is a hell of a looker if you look that art style. Great lighting engine there.

hnke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rise of the Tomb Raider looks terrific.

Avatar image for deactivated-633c70ff026e8
    deactivated-633c70ff026e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doom @1440p is incredible with a 1070. BF 1 is great as well.

NachoBizNas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you have yet to play it Syndicate looks very nice. It's probably cheaper to buy at Gamestop, since I remember buying mine for a dollar or two.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just got RE7, looks fucking pretty great. Sadly my 1080 cant run it at 2160p. There is too much frame drop, and some weird slow down in the look around. Tried tweaking the settings a bit, but didnt seem to help. Had to drop it to 1440. I think I could do the next highest, but 1440 fits my screen better. If you already have Doom on consoles prob not worth getting, but that runs great. Can do 2160 with that at almost 60 fps.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: I mean, I kinda get where they're coming from to some extent. I've only played five games and you already start to run into stuff that makes you go, "they didn't think that all the way through." Still, it's at least equivalent to Civ V vanilla.

Civ VI does have its benchmarks on the main menu, though, so at least in that respect it's an upgrade from Civ V's command-line benchmarks.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dagas

First thing I did with my 1070 was to play Witcher 3. Great looking game. You can turn it up to ultra settings at 1080p.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By OurSin_360

Doom looks fine but IMO it doesn't really benefit that much from the higher settings and resolution, it's more of a highly stylized game and i wouldn't buy it again just to play a slightly better looking version. I played at 1440p 60fps maxed (never beat it though).

Witcher 3 looks amazing, Crysis 3 still looks good, Rise of the Tomb Raider benifits a lot from higher settings (they are demanding though), and I think the game shadaw warrior 2 looks amazing especially for a smaller budget game.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagas said:

First thing I did with my 1070 was to play Witcher 3. Great looking game. You can turn it up to ultra settings at 1080p.

Agreed, Witcher 3 for sure. Beautiful game.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: I mean, I kinda get where they're coming from to some extent. I've only played five games and you already start to run into stuff that makes you go, "they didn't think that all the way through." Still, it's at least equivalent to Civ V vanilla.

Civ VI does have its benchmarks on the main menu, though, so at least in that respect it's an upgrade from Civ V's command-line benchmarks.

Sure, but if you read the criticism, it's not necessarily pointing out stuff that could have been better. It's literally people advising you to get Civ V instead because they think Civ VI is bad. As a pure guess on what I read, it seems like 40% or so of the fanbase thinks that more or less. I'm just not sure why though. When I read Steam reviews for instance, it's always about the AI denouncing you. But that was in Civ V too so it's confusing to me. Not saying they are wrong, there are some masterful Civ players that think the same. I just don't really see it myself.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By VACkillers

Ark: Survival Evolved / GTA V / The Division / Star Wars Battlefront / Battlefield 3 or 4 or BF1 / Planet Coaster with 10,000 guests in the park / Far Cry Primal and FC4 / Skyrim with mods and ENB presets / Mafia III / Watch Dogs 2 / Mirrors Edge Catalyst / Mad Max / Latest Hitman episodes. Those would be a GOOOOOD start, and if you start approaching the 100FPS range and beyond in this games, UP the resolution to 2k (2560x1440) or 4k resolution and you will max out your card easy!

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By big_denim

Witcher 3

Rise of the Tomb Raider

HITMAN

Battlefield 1

GTA V

Metro Last Light

DOOM

Those are typically my go-to benchmark games.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

The Witcher 3, The Division, Tom Clancy's Cocaine Mountain (aka GR:Wildlands), Doom, GTA V, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Just Cause 3 are all fantastic looking games that run well on my R9 390 should look/run great on your new GPU.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.