Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

shopping for a new gaming mouse. what to get?

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By defaulttag

for the last few years i've gotten used to this mouse. I have small hands/short fingers and I'd like a few suggestions on what to get based on that. this mouse is worn and eats up batteries quickly. i need a gaming mouse with great precision and responsiveness. preferably wired. preferably a little weighty, yet fits similarly or slightly larger than the mouse i mentioned. easy to click but not flimsy and won't click with light touch. i tried the razer orochi and did not like it because it felt too round and too light so that's out of the question. so any suggestions, GB? thanks in advance.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By HitmanAgent47

logitec G9 will be good for someone with short fingers and small hands.  

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By teh_pwnzorer

I have the steelseries ikari laser mouse.  It's a very good mouse (if you're right handed).  Go to the store and see if it fits your hand...

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @teh_pwnzorer: that mouse is sort of big and it might not fit his hand, however it's comfortable though.
    Wolfenhex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Wolfenhex

I tend to buy Logitech mouses for gaming. 

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/mice-pointers/mice/devices/4259 -- The MX518 seems to be a gaming mouse staple.  A lot of people have them, including me.  It's long, but I have short fingers too and I don't have an issue with it. 

These use a laser for better precision, but I think they also have a tilt wheel.  I have issues with tilt wheels and gaming, it makes it hard to click the middle mouse button sometimes.  These might have better  tilt wheels than I've used though.

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/mice-pointers/mice/devices/5750 -- G500  
    http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/mice-pointers/mice/devices/5092 -- G9X 

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " @teh_pwnzorer: that mouse is sort of big and it might not fit his hand, however it's comfortable though. "
    Yeah, you're probably right. 

...it's a good mouse though.  It has a rubbery textured surface which I like. 

I found the sensitivity button to be very useful in BFBC2 (high sensitivity inside a tank and low outside).
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @teh_pwnzorer: I actually was planning to buy that before. I have like really big hands and long fingers and they recommended it for me. It was the most confortable mouse i've ever used next to the razer death adder. I was wondering if that mouse is good for games like counter strike source for headshots? I heard from someone the design makes it a bit difficult and there are other mouses out there that will do that better for accuracy. What do you think? since you have that mouse.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Geno

I'm currently using the Razer Imperator 

Pros:  

- High DPI (up to 5600; currently I'm only using 1400 though).
    - High polling rate (up to 1000Hz).
    - Comfortable (designed to be right hand ergonomic).
    - Cool aesthetic design.

Cons: 

- Pinky placement is a bit awkward at first.
    - Side plastic gets slightly oily after long periods of use, even for people with dry hands such as myself. Not that big of a deal though as it's easily cleaned and only happens after about 6-8 hours of continuous use, which is rare for just about anyone.
    - On the more expensive side ($80-90).

Personal experience: My kills in BFBC2 have about tripled or so, and my KDR has about doubled (previous mouse was Logitech MX Revolution). Note that I'm also using a Razer Destructor mousemat though, so that's probably contributing to the performance somewhat.  

I've also heard good things about Steelseries Ikari/Xai, and Logitech MX518. MaximumPC also recently gave the Saitek R.A.T. 7 a 10/10, which is rare from them, but it also seems like quite a strange mouse. 

Avatar image for bam_d_leprechaun
    Bam_D_Leprechaun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By Bam_D_Leprechaun
    No Caption Provided
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @HitmanAgent47 said:

" @teh_pwnzorer: I actually was planning to buy that before. I have like really big hands and long fingers and they recommended it for me. It was the most confortable mouse i've ever used next to the razer death adder. I was wondering if that mouse is good for games like counter strike source for headshots? I heard from someone the design makes it a bit difficult and there are other mouses out there that will do that better for accuracy. What do you think? since you have that mouse. "

I haven't played counterstrike in years...but the laser version is accurate enough for me to have 2.0 k/d ration in BFBC2.  Although, I don't want to recommend something you'll regret buying.  Maybe, you can try the mice before you buy.
    VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By VisariLoyalist

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By defaulttag

@everyone thanks for all the suggestions. so far the ones i'm really interested in are the G9, Imperator, and RAT 7. $100 budget. a great mousepad is probably needed too. im looking at the destructor, vespula. any other suggestions for mouse pads? I'll make a visit to the store and see what fits my hand, but probably order online.

StressedOutCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By StressedOutCat

I have a Razer Destructor, it works well with a laser mouse type like the Logitech G9
    Its also easy to clean, all u need is a wet cloth... usual soft surfaces are harder to clean.

Only downside is you can roll it up and take to lan-party, but the one of those I remember going was in 1998.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By defaulttag
    @Geno:
    I just bought the Razer Imperator open item at best buy for 50 bucks. so far it's an awesome mouse!
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15  Edited By Geno
    @defaulttag said:
    " @Geno: I just bought the Razer Imperator open item at best buy for 50 bucks. so far it's an awesome mouse! "
    Nice, may it serve you well. 
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By EpicSteve

Logitech g5 is the one to get.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.