Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Should I upgrade to windows 8?

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Devil240Z

I just a code for windows 8 pro for free. I don't know if I should use it or not. Basically I have three options.

1. Use it on my gaming PC
    2. Use it on my girlfriends crappy vista laptop in the hopes of improving it(even windows 8 has to be better than vista right)
    3. Don't do anything with it. Or wait to use it on a new PC Build in the future.

Though I'm not sure about the last thing cause the code may only be good for an upgrade and not a fresh install.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By EarlessShrimp

I would go with one of the first two options for sure. I'm liking windows 8 so far and it hasn't given me any issues. It took a little getting used to and all, but it's not absolutely terrible as an OS, to be honest. I've run into one compatibility issue so far and that was for X-padder. I only had to run it in windows 7 compatibility mode for it to work. If your girlfriend is going to keep her crappy laptop for a while, maybe consider giving that the free upgrade. Otherwise, try windows 8. I mean, worst that could happen is that you don't like it and roll back to windows 7 (I'm assuming). I dunno man, it's really down to your personal preference, but I can definitely recommend doing one of the first two.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Snail

It boots up way faster, it's breezier, and if you don't like the Start Screen there are Start Menu applications out there that work just fine.

It's way better than Vista, so maybe you could install it on your girlfriend's laptop. However, I don't know for how much longer you plan on keeping that laptop, since it's already so outdated. You could put it in your gaming PC, since if you install that OS in a really powerful computer than booting up takes like, 5 seconds. It's really neat.

Use it though. Windows 8 is fine. How many complaints have you actually heard? The Start Screen and the whole "Modern UI" are kind of optional to use anyway, given third party Start Menu apps.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By BestUsernameEver

It's faster, but my experience was pretty poor when I used the consumer preview. Maybe it's been overhauled since then, but yeah, don't see the need past Win 7.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By zombie2011

I really like it, I don't see why it gets so much hate it's pretty much Windows 7 with what I think is a better start screen. Also it's so fast.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6  Edited By Yanngc33

I have it on my surface and it's ok. I feel like it was designed for tablets in mind and I couldn't see myself using it on a PC

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I haven't used 7 much outside work. Had Vista on my old PC.

Just built a new one and got 8 on it, installed it to an SSD and it loads up crazy fast. That's awesome. Everything else works well and is very snappy, I haven't put too much time into the apps and everything but there is potential there.

So I like it.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By EarlessShrimp

@ArtisanBreads: apps aren't too bad from the one's that I have used. The games aren't really much to write home about, but its still early. There are definitely a couple worthwhile but other than that skip it. But hey, it's an OS not a gaming platform. I do say I miss my clock and weather widget. I feel so entitled because I grumble that I have to hit the windows key on my keyboard to see the weather and stuff. As far as I can tell I can't get widgets on my desktop.

galacticgravy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By galacticgravy

I upgraded to 8 on my secondary machine (a laptop) and I regret it. It's always hooked up to my TV to play videos on. For my purposes, it's EXACTLY the same as 7, except I don't have a clean easy to use start menu. I have this new thing that is cumbersome and confusing. I can never find what I'm looking for.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#10  Edited By gla55jAw

I was going to say don't put it on the laptop, because the start menu is annoying without a mouse, but it's definitely better than Vista. Download the classic start menu and you'll be OK. I wouldn't put it on your everyday machine though, I prefer Windows 7.

Teaspoon83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Teaspoon83

I go straight from the Metro desktop into classic desktop. The Metro stuff isn't necessary at all and a bit of a downgrade because I can multitask a lot quicker on the classic desktop. The thing loads quickly too. My only problem I have at the moment is Games for Windows Live and Batman Arkham City are fucked up so the game won't save at all. There is a fix apparently, moving files around but have yet to get to that. There also was a terrible memory leak bug in Battlefield 3 that brings down the frame rate after 20 minutes or so. I haven't played it for a while because I got into Planetside 2 but something to be aware of. Beyond that, works fine and I can't complain because I got it for $15.

In the situations you provided, maybe upgrading the Vista computer would be the best use of the code. Lot better than Vista.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Devil240Z

Hmm... I don't know I mean I'm perfectly happy with what i have. If only Windows 8 had something I wanted.... also sidebar I'm also gonna get office 365 for free soon. though its just for a year cause office is a damn subscription now.

Oh the benefits of working retail. :P

Also god damn I just got my win 8 code and I passed the accreditation like months ago. If I had gotten it back then I might actually be able to sell a windows 8 machine.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By EXTomar

If a computer is working today, I would never ever recommend doing an upgrade on it unless you really really really need some new feature only found in the upgraded software. Keep what ever machines that are running right now as is and use it on a new machine.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By RobotHamster

Sell it.

rockman10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By rockman10

I haven't really seen any performance problems, and the OS is growing on me now.. going back to Win 7 at work feels weird. All the cloud stuff built in makes moving around devices pretty easy.. but that only applies to certain people like myself. If you have it though, I'd say go for it.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Bollard

None of the comments have seemed great to me. I would whack it on that Vista machine cause Vista is the worst though. Keep it away from any machine you want to game on.

This is the most recent ringing endorsement for Win8 I've seen.

A note to Windows 8 users: Upgrade back to 7 before it's too late. Seriously, Windows 8 is the dumbest thing since Windows Me.
    Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sayishere

I really like it, it takes a while to get used to, but it feels alot more faster.

Artso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Artso

I actually like it. That said I never use the "modern ui", I go straight into desktop and stay there. It was cheap, it's faster than Windows 7... what's not to like?

@GalacticGravy said:

I have this new thing that is cumbersome and confusing. I can never find what I'm looking for.

Weird. You can launch programs the same way, you have a file explorer, windows key + start typing to search for stuff... not sure what more you want.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kindgineer

Windows 8 is a great OS, and once you get used to the differences everything is quicker and faster to complete. I really enjoy my experience with it (no touch). It's really up to whether or not you want to learn a new way of doing things.

Nivash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Nivash

Switched over from W7 a month ago and never looked back. I'm using an aging computer that was really in need of a clean start so I thought, why not? The price was certainly low enough - especially for Windows. It worked wonders - actually better than expected. Everything's running way faster and the experience is smoother than anything else I tried on it before.

The metro interface though? I don't mind it, but I don't really use it all that much. I like the Giantbomb app - those live notifications are actually pretty sweet. The live tile for the mail app is useful but probably not revolutionary. Apart from that, I don't wander into metro all that much. The new search function takes you there through the hotkeys momentarily, but it's only for a fraction of a second or so. In the end I think this has to do with the fact that I never really used the start menu in W7 either. I used search, the keystrokes that take you to the shutdown option and the occasional foray to "My Computer" and the control panel, but I put all those on the desktop in W8 which is easier to get to anyway (which I obviously could have done in W7 as well, but never bothered to) I think metro would have been more of an issue if it hadn't been so damned fast. It loads - and unloads - instantly, save for a nice little animation. Because of this it never really feels like it's in the way. It's a more graphic, more fleshed out start menu - that's it. It stays in the background until you want it.

So what's left? Boot times are a nice bonus, to be sure. The growing integration with devices in the W8 ecosystem is intriguing, if not all that advanved yet - I own a 360 and apps like Smartglass are interesting, but still rather primitive. My cell contract is going to lapse in April and W8 actually made me consider a W8 phone as a replacement, which I'm sure was one of Microsofts goals. I find the notion of a shared ecosystem between devices to be appealing personally, but I guess that's a matter of taste. Likewise for the integrated cloud functions - I like them, but I know some people loathe cloud out of security-based principle.

TL;DR? W8 has worked great for me, and I highly recommend it - the only caveat being if you're really, really attached to the start menu which some people evidently are.

MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having seen it in action on my mothers laptop, I would have to say no..... but then Again that was only first glance, I would only consider upgrading myself or suggest other people upgrading only if compatibility is very very high with old programs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.