Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Steam coming to Linux?

AndrewG009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 3

Edited By AndrewG009

Personally, it seems like PC users have often taken for granted just how incredible Steam is. Not only does it make buying, downloading and managing digital content easier than tying one's shoes before leaving the house, it soon might be available for every major computer operating system. Mac users have recently been seen rejoicing upon news that yes, they'll get the experience the awesome of Steam that PC users have been relishing in for years. However, it seems like Linux users may have some partying of their own to look forward to down the road. Engadget reports that a Phoronix user was able to capture an image of a very primitive Steam client running in a Linux environment. While this is still far from a completed product, it is definitely set to revolutionize how people purchase and play computer games in the future, especially if all any of them have to do is click on a Steam icon.

Now they just have to get that cross-platform gameplay working so we all can play Team Fortress 2 together and we'll be set.    
    AndrewG009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#1  Edited By AndrewG009

Personally, it seems like PC users have often taken for granted just how incredible Steam is. Not only does it make buying, downloading and managing digital content easier than tying one's shoes before leaving the house, it soon might be available for every major computer operating system. Mac users have recently been seen rejoicing upon news that yes, they'll get the experience the awesome of Steam that PC users have been relishing in for years. However, it seems like Linux users may have some partying of their own to look forward to down the road. Engadget reports that a Phoronix user was able to capture an image of a very primitive Steam client running in a Linux environment. While this is still far from a completed product, it is definitely set to revolutionize how people purchase and play computer games in the future, especially if all any of them have to do is click on a Steam icon.

Now they just have to get that cross-platform gameplay working so we all can play Team Fortress 2 together and we'll be set.    
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Snail

Who uses Linux anyway?

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Pazy

Ill be glad when a native client comes, using "Wine" works at a basic level but isnt reliable and the games are hit and miss (personally more miss). Cant wait :)

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By 71Ranchero

How long until the pretentious Linux community rejects Steam and calls it corporate BS?

Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sanryd

I would think there would be no way Steam ever comes to Linux if it continues with the low install-base it has now.

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SpecTackle
    @Atramentous said:

" How long until the pretentious Linux community rejects Steam and calls it corporate BS? "

Probably about as long as it takes the dude with the skull avatar to nut up and move out of his parent's house.
    SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SpecTackle

A native Steam client would be a fantastic addition, although it wouldn't mean games would outright work properly in a unix environment. It's the same hurdle they had to jump over with a Mac client. It's clear the geniuses who've posted above me know their statistics and generalizations very well, apparently there's only a couple thousand Linux users in the world and they're all on the extreme end of the open source philosophy. Must be why the Debian community is as big as it is and has been around for nearly two decades. Feverish hatred for corporatism is the sole motivation for these lost souls.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By VoshiNova
    @ColumnBreaker said:
    " @Atramentous said:

" How long until the pretentious Linux community rejects Steam and calls it corporate BS? "

Probably about as long as it takes the dude with the skull avatar to nut up and move out of his parent's house. "
    I lol'd
    Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Subjugation

OP is Gordon Freeman IRL!

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @ColumnBreaker said:
    " @Atramentous said:

Probably about as long as it takes the dude with the skull avatar to nut up and move out of his parent's house. "
    This.  Linux users happily support Steam and many other retail products.  Some people just prefer Linux.
    Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
    deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once steam is native on Linux and the games are supported (at least the main ones I play) I'll gladly switch to Linux full time. 

LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By LaszloKovacs

Given that it's confirmed for OSX, this seems totally plausible, if a long way off. 

Veering off-topic:

fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fini_fly
    @VoshiNova said:
    " @ColumnBreaker said:
    " @Atramentous said:

I lol'd "
    Yeah so did I. Good one!
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By jmrwacko
    @ColumnBreaker said:
    " @Atramentous said:

win
    oDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By oDawg

I'd say its coming to linux, but through Android to deliver mobile gaming...   then I could see Android games spreading out into pc games running on linux.

Dziggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Dziggy

Robin Walker confirmed, about two  or three weeks ago, that they currently have no plans to bring Steam to Linux. Honestly, I think the only reason they made it for Mac is because Apple made some kind of deal with them. With Linux, there is no company behind it to make that kind of deal, so I think it's very unlikely.

I also don't think it would bring in enough new customers to be worth it for them to make it for Linux. Any gamers that prefer to use Linux more than likely have a Windows OS dual-booted on their system, if only to play games. While it would probably be convenient for them to have Steam on Linux, Valve is only going to worry about how much money it will bring in.

zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By zonerover

Steam on Linux would be a dream, although I have no ideas how they could or would implement such an arrangement. But please Valve, at least you would be able to claim that your games (and the games of third parties who supported it) ran on every major desktop operating system.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kishan6
    @Snail said:
    " Who uses Linux anyway? "
    oDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By oDawg
    @Dziggy said:

" Robin Walker confirmed, about two  or three weeks ago, that they currently have no plans to bring Steam to Linux. Honestly, I think the only reason they made it for Mac is because Apple made some kind of deal with them. With Linux, there is no company behind it to make that kind of deal, so I think it's very unlikely.  I also don't think it would bring in enough new customers to be worth it for them to make it for Linux. Any gamers that prefer to use Linux more than likely have a Windows OS dual-booted on their system, if only to play games. While it would probably be convenient for them to have Steam on Linux, Valve is only going to worry about how much money it will bring in. "

Google Android might make it happen...  + increase in games using OpenGL to avoid being locked into DirectX = better chance Linux becomes a real gaming OS someday...
    icyroy05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By icyroy05
    @ColumnBreaker said:
    " @Atramentous said:

Amazing.
    Avatar image for comradekritstov
    ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By ComradeKritstov
    @Fragstoff said:
    " anyone who like playing PC games won't be to anxious for this,  because they probably already have windows (or.... Steve Jobs OS). anyone who uses Linux will most likely have a real OS too "
    Except windows sucks. 

The only problem I have is if it's gonna be like mac and only source games + a few select games are compatible, I'm not sure I would be ready to make the switch.
    armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#22  Edited By armaan8014

dammit bugs back. Bumping again to push thread down

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.