Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Thinking Of Buying More RAM...

gunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By gunslinger

And I was just wondering, (since I'm not really tech-savvy when it comes to the hardware) if I buy more RAM, would I just be able to add it onto my existing RAM? Or does it replace the existing board?

Because nowadays, 512MB just isn't enough. I want to be able to play Spore when it comes out, and 1GB is the minimum. And it's the same for a lot of the good games out today, besides things like WoW and Sims 2 and the such.

And, do you guys have any favourite places you like to buy your computer components from? (In the UK)

The last thing I'd want to end up doing is wiping the boot.exe program from my computer and tanking it by accident, or something...

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2  Edited By xruntime

You can buy RAM from anywhere, its not expensive enough that you need a special site to save money

RAM is definitely a good investment. Get 2 GB at the least, and 4 if you want a lasting upgrade.

You can play Spore on 512 (and any other game with 1 GB requirement) but the performance will be worse.

You can just add it on. Take the stick, open two pins, stick it in, done. Easy. You just need to check the BIOS to make sure it works (and is configured properly, for some PCs). It can't screw up your computer unless you interfere with your old ram stick.

gunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By gunslinger

xruntime said:

"You can play Spore on 512 (and any other game with 1 GB requirement) but the performance will be worse."

That's odd, because I downloaded the Creature Creator, and it said that I didn't meet the system requirements, and on the README file, it said that it was a minimum of 1GB RAM. Strange...

Still, thanks for the tip on getting 4GB of RAM. I like listening to my music whilst I play, and when I play WoW, sometimes my computer just freezes up on me because it's so busy trying to play music and run WoW at the same time...
    xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By xruntime

Some games will restrict you, but most games I've encountered do not stop you from installing just because your memory is low.

Foil_Charizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Foil_Charizard

You can add onto your RAM but chances are that you have 2 RAM slots and they are both occupied by 2 254 MB sticks. Your better off buying two 1 gig sticks and throwing out your old ram. Make sure that you get compatible memory, check if your computer takes DDR 2 or 3, 3 is faster so buy it if you can. Newegg.com usually has really good deals and rebates on RAM. PM me if you have any questions.

Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Nomin

I think it is time for a total system upgrade!

prodromus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By prodromus

If you have 512 mb, you definitely don't have DDR3 ram, but Foil's point about making sure you get the right ram for your system is a good one.  I would recommend 2 gig for now.  You can't actually use 4 GB unless you are running a 64-bit version of windows, your system will only see about 3.5 GB or less of it. 

If you have one 512 MB chip, you can buy a second one and add it to get 1 GB.  If you have 2 x 256 MB chips, you'll need to replace them unless you have 4 RAM slots.  RAM is cheap, depending on the brand you can get 2 GB for $30 or less. And given the weakness of the dollar right now that's probably about 2 pounds. :) 

Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Colonel_Cool
    Nomin said:
    "I think it is time for a total system upgrade!"
    This would be the ideal thing to do, seeing as a computer that comes with 512MB of memory is probably pretty old, but if you are mainly just going to play WoW and Spore then you can squeeze more life out of it by adding a gig or two of ram.
    dwarfzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dwarfzilla

You're lucky, because memory is cheap.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.