Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Valve intend to make Steambox a reality

• 88 results
    Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Ducksworth

So...like the Alienware x51? I'm already looking into builds for mini-towers, it obviously wont look as pretty in the living room but unless the steam box offers something a PC can't, I probably wont bite.

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Insectecutor

@Jimbo said:

@Wikitoups said:

@Jimbo

"Well certainly our hardware will be a very controlled environment..."

A living-room 'PC' with a 'very controlled environment' is exactly what the Microsoft & Sony consoles already are. It's certainly what the next iterations of those consoles will be. Controlled Environment Living Room Friendly Computer is just a long ass way of saying 'console' at this point.

I would rather have that. Trying to make my computer show up on my tv last night shows thats its still a bit difficult and that one of the great things with a console that it works. they will still be people who will build a pc to play pc games (and on max graphics) and thats cool but they will be people like me who would like it that it just woks and on par with other consoles maybe a bit better.

I've got no problem with it -there's a lot to be said for simplicity and standardisation- I just don't see how what he's proposing differs from what we are already calling consoles.

Cost of entry.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#53  Edited By tourgen

@Insectecutor said:

@believer258 said:

Yeah, but... What about upgrades? A powerful rig in 2005 doesn't run games well these days. You can't just say "here's a console that playe PC games" because people expect it to play games just as well five years from now as it does today and PC's do not work like that. And then there's the huge influx of people who will wonder what the hell Anisotropic Filtering and Screen Space Ambient Occlusion are... No, I don't really think thos is the greatest of ideas.

Having well-known hardware will allow developers to target that hardware to make sure their games run well on it. If you want to dig into that graphics nerd stuff I'm sure you can, but I'd imagine the game would detect it was running on a steam console and choose the best settings based on that.

Also if Valve update the hardware after five years the PC formula suggests all old games will continue to run on new hardware and look better, and (shock) new games will run on the old hardware with reduced settings. Given that console cycles are extending anyway (loads of people are quite satisfied with Xbox 360 graphics even now), doesn't this model make a lot more sense?

Edit: I'd also point out that if you're already a the kind of PC gamer who overclocks or liquid-cools this product probably isn't meant for you.

yeah I think you are right.

They also said they were going to make one flavor of it but the HW spec would be released and other companies (ASUS, Dell, etc) could make Steam Boxes too.

Anyway I was convinced they were making a controller specific for living room PCs, so yeah. Turns out they are actually doing the Steam Box thing.

I don't think a Linux system is a given at this point. People seem to be assuming that but it sounds like a bad move, at least initially. Only a tiny number of games run on linux. Low-latency sound on Linux is still kind of a mess with many distributions still installing the abortion of common sense called PulseAudio. Graphic drivers and a collection of bad ideas about what to do with X Window are all competing to see who can screw of graphics on Linux first. Actually it would be kind of cool to see Valve come in and lay down the law on a built-for-games Linux system. It might help marginalize some of the crazier elements in the Linux community hell bent on sabotaging commercial products for Linux.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#54  Edited By Levio

A console for PC games? Why not just port the games to the preexisting consoles? If that's too difficult, how would it be less difficult to port them to this hardware?

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Insectecutor

@Levio said:

A console for PC games? Why not just port the games to the preexisting consoles? If that's too difficult, how would it be less difficult to port them to this hardware?

If this hardware is just some configuration of existing PC hardware it would be easier to port to than the kind of custom hardware you get in normal consoles. It sounds like it's just a pre-built gaming PC that only runs Steam.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#56  Edited By Levio

@Insectecutor: Oh okay, so instead of making cost-efficient hardware, this console would focus on port-friendly hardware. I guess that's certainly a niche that could be filled.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#57  Edited By tmthomsen

@Insectecutor said:

I would love to see Sony and Microsoft go fully download. There is no reason they have to offer boxed products at retail, they could easily allow you to download to a USB stick at the store. Then they could get rid of game stores entirely and just have kiosks in supermarkets or something.

...or you know... use the internet.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By MikkaQ

I still don't get the idea, people who want to play PC games have a PC, and the ones who don't are satisfied with the consoles. Add to the fact that exclusives are becoming rarer and rarer and you just got another generic box that plays video games, that offers literally nothing interesting or new.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By granderojo

I feel like Steam box is too dull. What "steam" or "Valve" synonym will they use to name the box?

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By colourful_hippie

@2HeadedNinja said:

I hope they will do some sort of streaming-box, that would be whats interesting to me. I don't really need a full fledged PC, I already own one.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#61  Edited By jay_ray

@thabigred said:

I feel like Steam box is too dull. What "steam" or "Valve" synonym will they use to name the box?

It'll be called "The Sauna", mark my words.

Also everyone who thinks this will be actual hardware will be disappointed. Valve would not do that, and would most likely bankrupt them. What the box will do is allow you to use your TV screen as a PC monitor without hooking up a cable and shouldn't cost more then $100 (and my guess would be $50) and it'll only be sold via their website/steam.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#62  Edited By Snail

Sounds more like a console, what with the limitations they mention their machine will have.

"Well certainly our hardware will be a very controlled environment," he said. "If you want more flexibility, you can always buy a more general purpose PC. For people who want a more turnkey solution, that's what some people are really gonna want for their living room."

If it ends up being an entirely pre-built machine, running Linux, that boots directly to Steam, and is overall "a very controlled environment", doesn't that sound a whole lot more like a console than a personal computer? From the point-of-view of the consumer anyway.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By colourful_hippie

@BestUsernameEver said:

@JohnstonThistle said:

Don't care.

Whoa, edgy dude right here.

At least he cares enough to post in a thread about something he doesn't care about.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By ghost_cat

I sense there are gears turning to a machine so large that it will knock down most predictions. Can't wait to see what it is.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By mellotronrules

the naming possibilities are amazing. i'm hoping for 'engine,' 'turbine,' or even better...go full daft punk and name it the 'steam machine.'

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @Colourful_Hippie

@BestUsernameEver said:

@JohnstonThistle said:

Don't care.

Whoa, edgy dude right here.

At least he cares enough to post in a thread about something he doesn't care about.

He cares so little it circles backwards and now he cares enough to post. That's how hard that motherfucker is. Vin Diesel times eight.
    endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#67  Edited By endaround

I really have a hard time imagining how a Linux box will work. Who is going to develop all those APIs?

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Mcfart

@endaround said:

I really have a hard time imagining how a Linux box will work. Who is going to develop all those APIs?

It won't be linux. Unless Valve want to fail.

Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Peanut

I don't know...what this would be exactly?

Also, to everyone constantly acting as if the digital future is going to suddenly happen in the next few years - you can still walk into a store and buy a fucking music CD. If it's worth it for music companies to print physical copies of something as accessible and as low-impact on peoples bandwidth as music, then it will be worth it for publishers to continue printing physical copies of games. Physical copies of things aren't just going to disappear because you can purchase them digitally, especially with the iron-grip so many Internet services providers have on monthly bandwidth allotments.

And if you honestly think Microsoft and Sony aren't going to have day and date downloads for games next time around, you're insane.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By AuthenticM

@Icemo said:

Steambox launch lineup:

-Half-life 3

Right, ?

That would be enough to make the thing sell like hotcakes.

@thabigred said:

The Conduit. It sounds cool and badass. :)

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#71  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@Abendlaender said:

Give me some magic technology so that I can stream my PC to my TV wirelessly and I'm good.

Already exists.

@believer258 said:

Yeah, but... What about upgrades? A powerful rig in 2005 doesn't run games well these days. You can't just say "here's a console that playe PC games" because people expect it to play games just as well five years from now as it does today and PC's do not work like that. And then there's the huge influx of people who will wonder what the hell Anisotropic Filtering and Screen Space Ambient Occlusion are... No, I don't really think thos is the greatest of ideas.

Some people wanna play PC games becuase they prefer the input options and the games themselves. Smaller indie titles that are only on Steam are a pretty big part of what makes Steam and PC gaming so great. And a good PC will play games for a long ass time. At high settings? No! But by the time it starts to matter, you'll be able to upgrade along with all of the other console folks I'm sure. A high end rig from 2005 may not run stuff like Metro 2033 or Witcher 2, but most other things it'll run fine at 1280x720 and lowered settings. Ya know, like an Xbox 360.

Pudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#72  Edited By Pudge

@Jay_Ray said:

@thabigred said:

Also everyone who thinks this will be actual hardware will be disappointed. Valve would not do that, and would most likely bankrupt them. What the box will do is allow you to use your TV screen as a PC monitor without hooking up a cable and shouldn't cost more then $100 (and my guess would be $50) and it'll only be sold via their website/steam.

Man, that seems really logical too, and it might make me even more excited than a Valve produced Steambox. I would love to be able to move my PC back onto my desk and play the few KB&M games I still enjoy without rigging together a TV Tray setup that doesn't feel right.

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@Abendlaender said:

Give me some magic technology so that I can stream my PC to my TV wirelessly and I'm good.

Already exists.

What is this magic of which you speak?

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#73  Edited By egg

If it doesn't have Windows then how is it too different from a console?

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

I reckon the Steam box should just be a console sized box with a built in motherboard that supports Intel and AMD, for easy upgrading. Built in 360 controller\bluetooth, Built in Wi-Fi with a boot into Steam operating system.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By PillClinton

@believer258 said:

It's highly unlikely, and probably wouldn't be very smart business-wise, but part of me would really love to see a completely modular Steam box that you could just drop parts in and out of to keep updated. I mean, that's basically just a PC at that point, but they could make it simpler, sleeker, easier, more cost effective, etc. if they teamed up with some hardware manufacturers to make "Steam Parts" or something. I dunno, goofy idea, but it'd be kinda awesome.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Andorski

@Jay_Ray said:

@thabigred said:

The Verge article pretty clearly states that it's going to be actual hardware. Gabe notes that both third party companies and Valve itself will release PC designed to be in the living room. The Verge has a decent track record when it comes to validating their stories, so while Kotaku is the one making the initial article, I'd say The Verge reiterating it means the report is corroborated.

Here's my assumption: Third party companies who are seeing the rise of things like Boxee, Roku, 360, PS3, and Smart TVs are going to make computers designed to be in your living room. Valve will make subsidized deals to have Steam come pre-loaded on them. On top of that, they will contract one manufacturer to make "the Steambox." Think of it like Google's Nexus program or Microsoft's Surface. The Steambox will have a small scale release and be used by Valve to set up a standard for all third party manufacturers to measure up to.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By endaround

@Andorski said:

@Jay_Ray said:

@thabigred said:

The Verge article pretty clearly states that it's going to be actual hardware. Gabe notes that both third party companies and Valve itself will release PC designed to be in the living room. The Verge has a decent track record when it comes to validating their stories, so while Kotaku is the one making the initial article, I'd say The Verge reiterating it means the report is corroborated.

Here's my assumption: Third party companies who are seeing the rise of things like Boxee, Roku, 360, PS3, and Smart TVs are going to make computers designed to be in your living room. Valve will make subsidized deals to have Steam come pre-loaded on them. On top of that, they will contract one manufacturer to make "the Steambox." Think of it like Google's Nexus program or Microsoft's Surface. The Steambox will have a small scale release and be used by Valve to set up a standard for all third party manufacturers to measure up to.

So you're saying this will be as useful as the term "ultrabook" then?

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Andorski

@endaround: If my assumption is correct, it would be way more like Google's Nexus program than Intel's Ultrabook standards. Intel make a fairly general guideline on what laptops required to be labeled an ultrabook. PC manufactures just went to town figuring out loopholes within the requirement guidelines and "creatively got away" with labeling any thin laptop as an ultrabook.

The Nexus being a product that is actually released gives a competitive incentive to make a better product.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Doctorchimp

God, I hope this is some weird understanding, and Gabe was talking about a box in the living room that worked with your PC. Ryan Davis' solution is...just so perfect...

I don't want a steam console. And people who are willing to buy a steam console are insane, why don't you just build a PC? I'm so lost.

danmcn12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By danmcn12

@Mr_Skeleton said:

Sounds to me like they are making a budget pc that will be able to play most Steam games, don't get too excited guys.

Most likely it'll be a dedicated PC priced comparably to Xbox/PS and feature an expanded software section of Steam. It's actually very exciting to see what can be done with Steam software and Greenlight.

Hardware is slowing down too, my 5 year old budget PC can play most modern games on the level my 360 can.

Choffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Choffy

If I can buy a pre-built rig for around $600 with Steam pre-installed on it and an actual wide variety of games, I'm in.

valiantgrizzly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By valiantgrizzly

Seeing a lot of negativity about this on the internet, which I don't get.

I have the three current consoles for video games, and a tablet and laptop I use to browse the internet and write my music. I have no need for a PC in my apartment, nor do I even have room to put one. I was a PC gamer for years, and I got so sick of the hassle with hardware. I want my games to work on the same machine with the same setup, regardless of when they come out during a generation. I haven't the time or money to spend on keeping a machine up to date.

If you're telling me Valve is launching a machine with standardized hardware, that runs Steam, has Steam sales and can be connected to my TV, I'm fucking in. Very excited.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#83  Edited By jay_ray

@Andorski: I think that is possible but the main problem I with that is that at that point their is very little difference between a Steambox and a console. If it is set up that way a Steambox will be priced more then a console (Steambox makers can't take a loss on hardware since they won't get revenue from games sold like Sony and Microsoft). So we are talking about a $800-$1000 console for a very small market (people who want a Home Theater PC who won't/can't build a PC themselves). If this box is actual hardware I can not see it succeeding and is counter intuitive to Valve long term.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By SharkEthic

I have the utmost faith in Valve to pull this off, and the Linux angle is very interesting. If done right, this could be a total game changer. Can't wait for further details.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Ravenlight

Huh. That means that I just lost a bet.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By PillClinton

@Ravenlight said:

Huh. That means that I just lost a bet.

And Ryan looks like an asshole for yelling at that pushover guy on that GS podcast, despite being completely dead-ass wrong. Ryan needs to eat a hat for that or something.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Corvak

If they get it to run 99% of the controller enabled games on Steam, without having to get involved in the OS settings, and price it under $600, Valve might have a winner. People who dont want to get into settings and building PCs will love it.

More importantly is Valve creating Big Picture. Now we can build our own custom Steam Boxes.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#88  Edited By Kidavenger

@Corvak said:

If they get it to run 99% of the controller enabled games on Steam, without having to get involved in the OS settings, and price it under $600, Valve might have a winner. People who dont want to get into settings and building PCs will love it.

More importantly is Valve creating Big Picture. Now we can build our own custom Steam Boxes.

You know who already has this figured out? Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo...

Why they fuck would anyone buy a $600 steam box when they could get a $200 xbox?

Anyone that thinks this box will be anything more than a streaming device is delusional and doesn't understand the first thing about PC gaming or Valve.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.