Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Video Cards, getting pretty big.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I was just looking at the Nvida Geforce GTX 280, and this card is massive, I can`t imagine what cards will be looking like in a few years. Will I have a engine running my computer? or will these massive monsters get shrunk down like most technology?

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By xruntime

I think the answer to this is pretty obvious...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

xruntime said:
    "I think the answer to this is pretty obvious..."
    Care to explain and not post shit like this?
    agent_lost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By agent_lost

you think that big, the GTX 280 can run at 3-SLI, you have 3 of this monster running in your PC

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By DualReaver
    Bucketdeth said:
    "xruntime said:
    Care to explain and not post shit like this?"
    Care to not make shit topics like this?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DualReaver said:
    "Bucketdeth said:
    "xruntime said:
    Care to not make shit topics like this?"
    How the hell is this a shit topic, I`m wondering the size of video cards in the future as they are getting bigger and bigger, you go ahead and make a topic,I'll come visit.
    xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By xruntime
    Bucketdeth said:
    "xruntime said:
    If you got offended by that, that wasn't my intention. Obviously technology will evolve. That's why the PC doesn't take up a full room like it did in the 50's. Consumers won't tolerate large and clunky machines.

And why so quick with the hostile words?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

xruntime said:
    "Bucketdeth said:
    "xruntime said:
    If you got offended by that, that wasn't my intention. Obviously technology will evolve. That's why the PC doesn't take up a full room like it did in the 50's.

And why so quick with the hostile words?"
    Well thank you for the response, thats all I wanted, I take back my words of hate and sorrow and we can continue with this failing topic I shouldn`t have created as I will be pummeled with flaming arrows.
    It wasn`t my intention to be "Hostile" but in forums it`s usually kill or be killed type envirorment, you know? but I appriciate the response.
    VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By VACkillers

we're all friends here guys!!!! :)

a 3-way-sli would be the most awesomest!!!! sight to see i could possibly think of!! neverl one the expenece haha... if i had the money i sure as hell would do a 3-way-sli with the G280 or go quad sli with a pair of 9800GX2's, to the OP tho, the cards are definitely getting bigger but i personally think these cards are about as big as they will ever get in my opinion. Full towers aren't too easy to find, you can find them ok, but finding actual good ones is rare. I think we'll start seeing more powerfull cards getting more compact, if u consider you can get 8800 and 9 series cards in a laptop, and sli-setups for laptops these days, think you'll start to see more of this in the future.
    I'd also like to add, that once Laptops technology have developed to such a degree, where, you can actually upgrade them, changing parts inside them as easy as you can with a desktop, and not buying it pretty much "AS IS", you'll find that laptops will eventually replace all desktop machines.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VACkillers said:
    "we're all friends here guys!!!! :)

a 3-way-sli would be the most awesomest!!!! sight to see i could possibly think of!! neverl one the expenece haha... if i had the money i sure as hell would do a 3-way-sli with the G280 or go quad sli with a pair of 9800GX2's, to the OP tho, the cards are definitely getting bigger but i personally think these cards are about as big as they will ever get in my opinion. Full towers aren't too easy to find, you can find them ok, but finding actual good ones is rare. I think we'll start seeing more powerfull cards getting more compact, if u consider you can get 8800 and 9 series cards in a laptop, and sli-setups for laptops these days, think you'll start to see more of this in the future.
    I'd also like to add, that once Laptops technology have developed to such a degree, where, you can actually upgrade them, changing parts inside them as easy as you can with a desktop, and not buying it pretty much "AS IS", you'll find that laptops will eventually replace all desktop machines."
    Group hug!...you know in a manly type way.

I haven`t really thought of it that way,  It would be a awesome day when I can lug a 3 way sli set up on my 14" laptop without it waying a ton :P
    Even if that happens, Laptops are usually more expensive, but by that time who knows!
    VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By VACkillers

yes laptops are expensive but getting better in prices, if/when they do replace full blown desktop machines, i think they'll be more compable to the pricing of current desktop machines when they're upgradeable as everyone and their childrens children will have a laptop by then of some form or another.... but who knows when this stuff would happen...

flip side of that though, companies are making way too much money right now with laptops (even schools are starting to give them to children instead of using school books now) so you might not see them being upgradable for some time yet.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Demilich

The 8800GT is pretty big. I had to move my Harddrive up a slot to make it fit.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VACkillers said:
    "yes laptops are expensive but getting better in prices, if/when they do replace full blown desktop machines, i think they'll be more compable to the pricing of current desktop machines when they're upgradeable as everyone and their childrens children will have a laptop by then of some form or another.... but who knows when this stuff would happen...

flip side of that though, companies are making way too much money right now with laptops (even schools are starting to give them to children instead of using school books now) so you might not see them being upgradable for some time yet."
    Yeah I heard of a few schools around that were giving away laptops as a rental type thing, you have to give it back at the end of the year, but it`s yours until then.
    I recently sold my laptop after being stupid enough to get one for gaming and it turned out, well there not made for that unless you want to spend a good 2500+

Demilich
    said:
    "The 8800GT is pretty big. I had to move my Harddrive up a slot to make it fit."
    I know man, I had a fun time trying to fit the thing in my aspire, I had to move the hard drive up a few slots to get enough room.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By VACkillers

you can go get a gateway laptop with has the 8800GM in it for under 1200 bucks... just so you know guys...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mine had the weak 8400gs, it was a 14" dell inspiron 1420 with 2gb ram and a Core 2 duo something something.

A mistake to get for even light gaming, oh and it costed $1200 the same as the gateway laptop, but the gateway blows the inspiron away.
    Oh well, screw you dell.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By VACkillers

LoL... well when it comes to dell / alienware / falcon northwest or Voodoo Pcs, you really are paying for the name... HPs have been a bit guilty of this as well at times... but at least you know now, just use a bit of common sense and shop around, look up stuff online before you buy thats all people have to do now.... just shop a bit smart and you'll be just fine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll just stay out of the laptop market until your the boss of one of the big companies and make laptops that can be upgraded *wink* ;)

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By VACkillers

haha... that'll work... i'll do that heh

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Black_Raven

Their soo big mainly because of all the heat they generate, maybe when new ways of cooling are introduced the size of the cards wont need to get so big.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By VACkillers

well with stuff like water cooling, and non-stock cooling fans and heat sinks, you'd think by now they would have their own, special developed heat sinks and fans on their own products... especially with all the overclocking of everything in the machine  these days...

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By serbsta

I dont think they will get too much bigger then current models on the market, they cant start making cards that wont fit in any cases...

zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By zeus_gb

Modern days graphics cards are huge in comparison to the earlier ones maybe not in length (nod to VESA cards) but certainly in width.

jkmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jkmetal
    DualReaver said:
    "Bucketdeth said:
    "xruntime said:
    Care to not make shit topics like this?"
      Christyou people are nasty to one another. 

This topic did make me laugh, just the title mind you. Why? Because its so true. Video cards are fucking monsters now compared to my old 6800GT.
    Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24  Edited By Termite

Wow, so much hate to start off this thread.

Why can't you just be? Ah whatever, obviously graphics cards are going to get smaller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We all apologized :P
    Were all a happy group of PC loving friends, we all love pink and wear short skirts, we all like the wind in our hair...I think.

Anyways I'm glad some people agreed, video cards are getting huge but as said, they will evolve and gradually get smaller, hopefully.

albaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By albaker

The bigger the better? They look cool though..........

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By VACkillers

actually i agree, they do look kool heh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah they do look cool, but I can`t even see inside my case so that wouldn`t really matter much, unless your building a sick rig and want to show it off, I'd rather a little smaller.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By VACkillers

well in the end, i dont really give a monkeys how it looks, when it comes down it, i just want it to perform well...

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hamz

Hey there its me, a moderator, cut out the personal attacks and flames. Keep the discussion about GPU sizes not you're e-penis.

Back ontopic i'd say that GPU's will begin to increase in size until they figure out a better way of cooling them while still maintaining top performance at peak usage. At the moment an ATI4870 wont fit in my case which sucks but atleast i now have an excuse to go buy a whole new PC :P

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By VACkillers

dont mean to sound, well, mean Mr. Mod, but err... everything was already sorted like 2 days ago where every1 apologised and stuff, there was no need for your first line of the comment imo.

GPUs will get smaller i think and the heat sinks and fans will get bigger, as various chips are getting ever so increasingly small in size, this enambles manufactures to build smaller, just look at cpus as an example, a 4 CORE cpu is the same size as a single one... As the resisters on boards and chips get smaller, you'll start seeing cards decresing in size on average... just look at laptop video cards over conventional desktop cards....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hamz said:
    "Hey there its me, a moderator, cut out the personal attacks and flames. Keep the discussion about GPU sizes not you're e-penis.

Back ontopic i'd say that GPU's will begin to increase in size until they figure out a better way of cooling them while still maintaining top performance at peak usage. At the moment an ATI4870 wont fit in my case which sucks but atleast i now have an excuse to go buy a whole new PC :P"
    Man I was going to get a 9800GX2 or a ATI4870 and am hoping they will fit, what kind of case are you using at the moment?
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hamz

I have an old Thermaltake mid tower case which i'd say is bordering on the small side for a mid tower case after comparing its measurements to some more modern mid tower cases. I was gonna just do a GPU upgrade and make this 4 year old PC im using last another year or so before upgrading but with GPU's being so large and not fitting or getting the proper cooling with the case i have i figured why not just look at buying a new PC now this year?

But damn the HD4870 is a lot bigger than my 7900GS i have now which to be honest is a squeeze in this case. I mean the HD4870 isn't a giant in terms of size but its a big card that i believe has some issues with overheating, so probably best to make sure you're case can handle the ventiliation first.

unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By unclejohnny79

I dont think it will get much bigger then that imo

Decimator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Decimator

I think they'll decrease in size anytime soon. Due to smaller chips, less heat, more complex technology, etc. Plus I doubt that they can get any bigger, since there are not much computer cases that let you fit in such a huge videocard.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.