Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Want a "green" PC? Check this out.

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By serbsta
    Edison PC
    Edison PC
    Windows only: Free system tray application Edison helps save energy and money by tweaking your PC's power settings on a schedule. Edison allows you to set different energy preferences for work and non-work time, then choose the times you want each profile to run.

The power settings determine how long your PC should wait before turning off the display, powering down your hard drive, and suspending your computer. After you set your preferences, Edison also estimates your yearly savings in terms of money, energy, and CO2 emissions.

Edison is freeware, requires .NET 2.0 and an email address for registration. If Edison's whopping 45MB memory footprint is too high for your tastes, check out previously mentioned LocalCooling. For more green PC tips, try our best tips for going green with your PC.
    xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By xruntime

You can do all of this without having to download any software. It's in Power Options.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Yeah but I think Edison looks a lot easier and convenient, I didn`t think the windows version that came with your computer had a schedule.

UrbanGuerilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By UrbanGuerilla

The app is pretty handy for saving money on electricity bills, but this whole "Greener Environment" stuff is all BS from corporations trying to sell yoou stuff by fear and manipulation. Dem dere scientists say you need our products or um ....... bad.....stuff will happen to everyone. If governments really wanted to lower CO2 emmissions then they put the big companies under the hammer, but they won't because thats capitalism for you. (These are just my vies on this certain topic) Sorry to go off on a tangent :)

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By serbsta
    xruntime said:
    "You can do all of this without having to download any software. It's in Power Options."
    Yes i know, but if you use this you can see what else it brings, like features that save power while you work, etc.

Just saying.
    VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By VACkillers

its a nice app, but dont think its very practical for the average gamer if its based on a schedule system, as ppl play games at random intervals for which you couldn't really base a schedule around unless you absolutely know your not really gonna be doing much on the computer at a particular time, for which you could just turn the thing off, unless your downloading something which wont be zapping much power anyway if u turn the monitor off ect... and graphics cards dont zapp up all those watts they need unless their under load anyway.... hence fluxurations in temperatures under load and just sitting in windows

twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7  Edited By twenty0ne

I hate "power saver" settings. I turn mine off all together.

Riddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By Riddler

i want a Black PC

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#9  Edited By wefwefasdf
    Riddler said:
    "i want a Black PC"
    haha Exactly.
    Nemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Nemesis
    UrbanGuerilla said:
    "The app is pretty handy for saving money on electricity bills, but this whole "Greener Environment" stuff is all BS from corporations trying to sell yoou stuff by fear and manipulation. Dem dere scientists say you need our products or um ....... bad.....stuff will happen to everyone. If governments really wanted to lower CO2 emmissions then they put the big companies under the hammer, but they won't because thats capitalism for you. (These are just my vies on this certain topic) Sorry to go off on a tangent :)"
    You are off topic, but in a way you aren't. I agree with you but I'll do anything to save money on electricity, water, etc...
    calf_exercises

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By calf_exercises

I am so greeen that as soon as i got my new pc a changed the settings to give me more perfomance which makes my system less eficiant.

Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Shawn
    Riddler said:
    "i want a Black PC"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.