Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

What's the deal with ram voltages and CPUs?

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Hayt

So after a recent computer failure coming down to a dead ram slot I've been assessing my pc. I came across a warning on pcpartspicker.com that I'd missed/never seen before saying that ram with a voltage higher than 1.5v isnt supported by intel CPU and that it'll clock itself down to compensate.

I began to wonder if that could be related to why the slot died (after many years mind you) and what to do from here on out.

I'm replacing the motherboard with the same model since its cheap and I shouldnt need to reinstall windows or faff around with drivers (right?) but I am pondering whether or not I should keep this ram or try and find a 1.5v upgrade.

The parts in question are:

Mobo: asrock z97 anniversary

Ram: G.Skill - Ripjaws 8gig DDR3-1600

CPU: i5 4970k

Annoyingly I am limited to ddr3 but its not worth upgrading mobo as i'd need to change cpu as well.

My question in short is: is there any problem with having ram with voltage greater than 1.5v with intel? It was fine for ages but im not sure if i should knowingly get more 1.6v ram or avoid it.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Im scared of overclocking stuff so i just turn on XMP and just leave everything default.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@forteexe21: yeah I've never OC'd ram but i've also never actively downclocked them either. So I wonder if its smart enough to limit itself safely

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By clagnaught

Well, the memory you had runs at the recommended voltage of your CPU. The Intel site lists "DDR3-1333/1600, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.5V" for the recommended memory, and the RAM you listed runs at 1.5 as well. Beyond that, I honestly haven't thought about this issue before. You can overclock memory, but I don't know the specific and realistic risks of doing that (I have actually never wanted or needed to overclock anything before). There may be different types of CPUs or significantly older versions that have different recommendations or something I overlooked, but that memory and CPU seems fine.

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Devildoll

Since quite a while now ( 2008?), Intel has their memory controller inside of the CPU instead of embedded in the north bridge.

due to the relationship between the ram and the memory controller, and how their separate voltages affect each other, high enough disparity between these voltages are said to potentially cause damage in the cpu.
    on the x58 platform, people were told that higher than 0.5 v difference between ram and uncore/memorycontroller voltage was dangerous, i don't know the specific guidelines around your platform.

I don't think that should be a problem though, most DDR3 that can be bought today should run at 1.35 or 1.5, and if Intel says 1.5 is ok, then you have nothing to worry about.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.