Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

When do the non-ref 980 ti and Fury X cards come out?

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Hayt

It's a great time to be shopping for a video card. I'm waiting for the non-reference 980 ti s and the new AMD Fury cards to hit the market before I make any purchases because by that time I think any shift in prices for cards down stream will have occurred. Issue is I'm a bit lost as to when these are actually available. I read that the Fury X is out on the 25th of June but is that out as in "you can buy this on amazon and have it ship" or out as in "a listing will appear on amazon with a ??? shipping date"? Similiarly the info about all the various non-reference Nvidea cards seem scattershot. I read that the ASUS Strix 980 ti will be out in "late July/early August" but that was just on a forum post with no source. Seems like a long time out too but maybe that's how it is. Does anyone know anything out when this stuff is out for real real or how I can find out?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Non-reference 980ti's are already out. I just bought the EVGA super clocked one. Fury cards will be trickling out now but if you look at newegg, a bunch of them are already sold out. I would be cautious to buy the Fury X over the 980 ti due to the lack of memory.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karkarov said:

Just a minor correction @horseman6, there are non reference 980 ti's out.... but finding one in stock at a sane price may not be so easy. Also the selection is very limited. If you really want a 980 ti I would wait a little bit and let asus and some other people release their cards too so you have a better non reference option than a sold out MSI and EVGA.

The prices were insane on Amazon but Newegg does have them in stock at the normal price.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karkarov said:
    @horseman6 said:

The prices were insane on Amazon but Newegg does have them in stock at the normal price.

I don't recall care for EVGA myself, they aren't "bad" but they just don't stack up to MSI and Asus.

What are you talking about?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karkarov said:
    @khann said:

What are you talking about?

We are talking about the non reference board 980 ti graphics cards? Right now the only one really in stock anywhere is the EVGA card. MSI also has one out but it is sold out everywhere I have seen.

I mean what are you talking about in regards to EVGA? In what way do they not stack up to MSI and ASUS? If anything they're considered one of the best.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khann: EVGA is the definitely the best. I didn't know people actually trusted MSI.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khann: EVGA is the definitely the best. I didn't know people actually trusted MSI.

Exactly lol. All the cards I've had (660, 770, 980) have been EVGA superclocked ones and they've been the best for me.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@karkarov said:
    @colourful_hippie said:
    @horseman6 said:

Exactly lol. All the cards I've had (660, 770, 980) have been EVGA superclocked ones and they've been the best for me.

Can't agree. I have used all three before, MSI never let me down until the most recent hardware level. EVGA has always been fairly average. Again they aren't "bad" but I don't see them as anything like "the best". If such a thing can even be proven in todays pc market anyway.

I'm pretty sure EVGA is regarded by most hardware enthusiasts as one of the top 3, if not the best, Nvidia OEM. It's fine that you don't care much for them, but they're definitely regarded highly by most.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By monetarydread
    @alexw00d said:
    @karkarov said:
    @colourful_hippie said:
    @horseman6 said:

Can't agree. I have used all three before, MSI never let me down until the most recent hardware level. EVGA has always been fairly average. Again they aren't "bad" but I don't see them as anything like "the best". If such a thing can even be proven in todays pc market anyway.

I'm pretty sure EVGA is regarded by most hardware enthusiasts as one of the top 3, if not the best, Nvidia OEM. It's fine that you don't care much for them, but they're definitely regarded highly by most.

EVGA, MSI and Asus are all equals in my experience. The only difference would be where you have to send the card if it needs an RMA.

Avatar image for thatthereitalian
    thatthereitalian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

I read somewhere the Fury X will only come in its ref form due to its unique cooling situation. Although I suppose air cooled non-ref versions could be released but that sort of defeats the purpose, i guess.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mirado

The Fury X is only going to be reference. Non-reference 980 Tis are (back) in stock now, including Gigabyte's well reviewed G1, which I just picked up myself.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@alexw00d said:
    @karkarov said:
    @colourful_hippie said:
    @horseman6 said:

EVGA, MSI and Asus are all equals in my experience. The only difference would be where you have to send the card if it needs an RMA.

Just so you guys know, the GTX 980s made at launch by EVGA were actually the worst of all the manufacturers. They allegedly tried to repurpose the heatsink and cooling solutions from the 780 for their 980s, causing them to finish last of all the major manufacturers in performance, noise, and temperature benchmarks.

I don't know whether they've fixed it since then; after my last three cards being EVGA, I bought an Asus 980 because EVGA's were a joke.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uhh, Gigabyte's G1 is out of stock again, so hopefully you bought it in that 50 minute window when it was available. Guess this thing's hot shit? I'll find out soon! :D

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for all the posts. Sounds like I'll be playing the waiting game for a bit yet though

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mirado said:

Uhh, Gigabyte's G1 is out of stock again, so hopefully you bought it in that 50 minute window when it was available. Guess this thing's hot shit? I'll find out soon! :D

This helped me out.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moab: That's fucking handy. I completely lucked out; I was just browsing Newegg for fun and stumbled on it without really realizing they're selling like hot cakes.

Did you go for that specific model or pick up something else?

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mirado: I actually bought a GTX 980 when they were pretty hard to get. That site saved me a lot of frustration.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By monetarydread

@ajamafalous: Thank you for the good advice. The last time I actually owned an EVGA card was my 8800GT; it's still inside my Dad's PC, aka, the Call of Duty 4 machine.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moab: I'll definitely have it on hand for next time.

Granted, if my current PC is any indication, that'll be four years from now. But still!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.