Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

When it comes to PC gaming on a laptop...

Puppy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Puppy

Ive played PC games in the past but my rig is about at the point where new games won't run. And even though I'm not dead set on getting back into the scene, I'm a curious puppy and I like to keep my options open. The hassle of upgrading my desktop (or replacing it) is too big of a bite for me to be chewing on. The easy fix would be to get a solid gaming laptop. Ive never played on a laptop, though. I've typed on laptops, but there's a difference between gaming and browsing.

So for all you laptop'ers out there, how do you like the set up when compared to a desktop? Does it feel like a gimped gaming experience cus of being sans-home-set up?

How's about it, fella's? Ruff.
    How's about it, fella's? Ruff.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Drebin_893
    Puppy said:
    , I'm a curious puppy and I like to keep my options open. 

This thread is over.
    Puppy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Puppy
    Drebin_893 said:
    "Puppy said:

This thread is over.
    "

What? I don't see how that hanswers my question bub.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By CL60
    Puppy said:
    "Drebin_893 said:
    "Puppy said:

This thread is over.
    "
    What?"
    It's over.
    Puppy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Puppy

Wow, thanks for being helpful...

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I recently (less than a week ago) got a new laptop that should play modern games on low graphics settings for £550 (about $800, but we pay a decent amount of tax, so it would probably be cheaper in the US) and it seems fine. I haven't tried any really demanding games yet, but it seems great so far. So you can do gaming on a laptop. But if you want high graphics settings, you're going to have to spend a lot of money.

It is more expensive than a desktop, but I love the convenience of being able to take it wherever. Even though most of the time I'm just sitting on the sofa with it, I prefer doing that than sitting up at a desk. Sitting up at a desk just isn't a comfortable gaming experience for me. That's why I've always mainly been a Console gamer, but hopefully I should be able to do some half decent PC gaming on my new laptop.

Puppy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Puppy

I'm also a console gamer, first and foremost! Anyway no, I wasn't so much talking about price and laptop power. I'm more curious about how the compact form affects playstyle. Is the difference something radical?

Thanks for actually addressing my question! Unlike *ruff* others... xD

j0rdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By j0rdan

Ive been gaming on a laptop for 2 years now, its brilliant.
    Being able to game in my office, infront of the TV, in the lounge or even on the train or at work or uni.

There a few major drawbacks to gaming on a laptop though.

1. The Cost

To achive the same quality and performance of a high end PC you need to spend almost double to get that on a laptop.
    I paid alot of money for my laptop (i dont regret it though), a SLi setup means Im still playing the most recent games on very good settings 2 years later.
    But if i was to choose a PC setup instead I probably would have spent half the money for essentially the same spec stuff.

2. Battery Life

Now on most standard laptops battery life has improved alot recently, so much so that when a manufacturer says it will last 3 hours you could almost be forgiven for believing them, BUT if you opt for a high end gaming laptop dont expect good battery life.
    If your laptop has a high end CPU, a High end or even 2 high end Graphics cards and maybe a raid HDD system then even the best of batterys are gonna choke.
    So expect closer to about 1 hours gaming away from a main socket.

andother drawback could be the keyboard, but of course this can be avoided by choosing the right model.
    also if you are going to be away from mains power alot, then extra batterys can cost quite abit of extra money.

and of course the biggie, laptops arent to happy about upgrade.
    You will only really be able to upgrade the HDD's, RAM and Disk drive in most laptops.
    some laptops use the MXM Graphics chips now which allow for upgrades if you can get your hands on new chips (not for the faint hearted.
    and for the real adventurous the actual CPU can be upgraded in most cases, but isnt realy recomended.

The Final Word

So, if your willing to spend big, and arent bothered about the drawbacks, then laptop gaming is awesome.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Al3xand3r

There's no difference in how comfortable you are, just buy a mouse of course, touchpad isn't ideal for most games. Oh, and the monitor size of course, if you can put up with that, it's fine. And I guess make sure you like the feel of the keys, but most nice laptops have very nice keyboards.

And battery life, well, you can always plug it in somewhere if available, I wouldn't game on a trip, maybe watch a DVD, and it has enough life for that. Any good laptop should have many options to reduce aspects you don't need when not gaming in order to increase the battery life. Stuff like dimming the monitor, reducing the visual flair of Windows Vista (if you have it installed) and other similar stuff.

Kloreep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Kloreep

I've been using my laptop for gaming for four years now (and so, it being an old laptop, I'm also in the position of being unable to play most new games). As Al3xand3r says, there's really no difference in comfort; you'll want to buy a mouse, and maybe a keyboard, and it's basically like a portable desktop at that point. If anything, it just makes it harder to adjust the monitor. And of course, it's tough to upgrade much beyond the hard drive & RAM.

If you're big on portability, go for a laptop. But if you're not going to need to lug your gaming machine around, I'd get a desktop. If you don't want to bother building it, you can always order a desktop just like you would a laptop, and it'll at least be upgradeable; and probably cheaper.

Catbus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Catbus

-Good
    -Gaming
    -Laptop

Choose two.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#12  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I game primarily on a newer laptop, and I like it.  It's not perfect, especially when it comes to the awkward keyboard layout, but you can work around that by purchasing an external keyboard and mouse.  I personally love it because I often take short trips for business, and it is nice to drag my games along with me in a convenient fashion.

warp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By warp
    Catbus said:
    "-Good-Gaming-LaptopChoose two."
    What happens when I pick good gaming? Its more of a concept than a laptop choice.

Gaming laptops are best if you can afford an investment that isnt nearly as future proof as something you can upgrade as games become more powerful. I have a laptop but prefer to keep it a retro platform for adventure games and such. I gave up on modern pc gaming since Quake 3 or so.

Actually playing on a laptop is not much of a stretch though. Just never ever use a touchpad. They are satans mouse choice.

trav3ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By trav3ler

I just got a laptop for 1400 that can run old Source engine games maxed out, and newer games at around medium settings, so if you really want to go laptop, it's very easy to do so.  Just get a mouse.  Touchpads are impossible to use for shooters.

j0rdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By j0rdan

just as a note,  they arent called laptops,    ive just cleaned mine (dust settles inside the fans every so often causing it to get a bit too hot, so i take it apart and clean it), yesterday when doing so i actually read one of the sticker on the bottom for the first time and it says,
    trav3ler said:

"Caution! This surface is hot, avoid bodily contact and DO NOT place on LAP when in use."
    It just made me chuckle when I read it.
    So, Gaming Laptops, not for your lap.

sorry, just thought some might get a laugh out of it.

And just like the others say, If your willing to pay the extra money a gaming Notebook is awesome, like i said before, I spent alot of money on mine and could have spent half for the equivelant PC, but i havent regretted it one bit, even if your dont take it out of your home, you can still use it in any room you want, whenever you want.

There is really any downsides apart from the lack of upgradability and cost.
    Its just how much do you value being able to play wherever you want to.

And ps. alot of people keep mentioning you need to get a good mouse,  but really come on, thats the same for a PC, you still need a mouse for gods sake, so it shouldnt be part of the issue.

Burntlettuce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Burntlettuce

Well i was forced into buying a laptop for college and i must say it i enjoy it a lot. It can run atm most games at high settings and isn't a hassle to play games. It takes a little while to get use to the keyboard but after that everything is fine.

Puppy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Puppy

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I think I'll pass on the laptop; and I got a good kick out of

Catbus said:
    "-Good
    -Gaming
    -Laptop

Choose two."

If I ever do go along and wind up looking for a better PC experience, I might take advantage of the economic downturn and pick up a solid graphics card on the cheap. International financial discord for the win! xD
    oDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By oDawg
    Puppy said:
    Ive played PC games in the past but my rig is about at the point where new games won't run. ... [more]
    dude, read the many many replies people have given you. There are gaming notebooks that blow the shit out of desktops! And vice versa... Without knowing the kind of notebook you have, no one can give you any help...

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By VACkillers

i just thought i'd put my 2 cents worth into this topic...

Laptop gaming is awesome... in a lot of ways it can be better then desktop gaming, especially when your going over to LAN parties with your friends, last thing you wanna do is carry a 30 lbs case, all the cables, and a monitor just to hook up for a couple of hours and then having to carry all that shit all the way back home lol... a laptop is all in one, just carry it and go! laptops are to the point where they are ALMOST, almost overtaking desktop gaming, if it wasn't for the limitation in upgradability, more so with the graphics cards then anything else, which really hinders what you can get coz once you've bought a laptop... you cant change anything your stuck with what you got ecept for say RAM that you can change.

With that in mind, no $500 laptop from best buy or walmart is gonna do what you need to do in gaming, so as some ppl have already mentioned in this topic, if you want a gaming laptop, then you HAVE to expect to start paying a LOT. i've seen very very good gaming laptops from gateway from like 1300-1600 dollors and thats a GOOD price, get the same specs from the likes of alienware / falcon norrthwest or voodoo and you  can expect to pay in the region of 3000 for it.

Only real suggestion i was give when going for a gaming laptop is absolutely! make sure it has a branded graphics card in it.. nvidia 6600 is not going to cut it... ati onboard card is simply not going to cut it... look for the specs and take serious consideration if it even lists a graphics card or not, if it doesn't, then its some cheap piece of crap onboard graphics card that wont even run some videos never lone a game!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.