Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Would this PC be good for gaming (Price/quality ratio also)?

DanielQC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hello everyone,

I want to buy a new PC since my current one is really way too outdated (about 7-8years) and it will be primarily for gaming (Ex: Diablo III, Guildwars 2, Battlefield 3, Skyrim). I want to be able to run most games in high graphics with no lag if possible and my computer to stay future-proof for at least a couple of years.

I'm thinking about buying this PC:

MotherBoard:ASUS Z87-A LGA1150 USB 3.0 SATA 6Gb/s
    Processor:Intel Core i7 4770K 3.5Ghz @ 4.2GhzTurbo Boost 8Mb 22nm
    Memory:Corsair 16Gb 2x8Gb DDR3-1600Mhz Dual Channel
    Hard Drive:SSD 120Gb Sata 3 6Gb/s
    Video Card:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 OC 2Gb GDDR5
    Sound Card:7.1 HD
    Power Supply:700W
    Operating System:Windows Home
    Case:NZXT Phantom 410

The warranty is good for 3 years (including all parts cost plus the worker cost).

This is the final price (including all the taxes and the building of the PC): 1813$

What do you think about it, it it too much for what the company is giving to me or not? Should I change some parts because they are not really trustworthy? Would you buy something else cheaper and have the about the same results performance talking?

Thanks in advance.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

it's very good for gaming, but I think you are paying too much for it.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

Agreed. Not to say it's bad, but as is always the case, you can build something better for less money.

If it were me, I'd drop down to a cheaper i5 CPU, possibly even an Ivybridge (last gen) if you want to save further (you'd of course need a different mobo at that point). That'd give you more to spend on a new 700 series GPU (such as the 770) as opposed to that 670. And you're going to want a traditional hard drive to go alongside that SSD, as games these days can start to fill even a terabyte drive in a hurry. All of this probably shouldn't cost you any more than $1,300 if you build it yourself. $1,500 tops.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Andorski

Paying way too much as it stands right now

If you want to lower the price, bump down your CPU to i5 and RAM to 8GB(and even lose the sound card unless you are an audiophile. Then use the money you saved to get the GTX 770. There is no real reason to get the GTX 670 at this point unless you find a really good deal on it.

Of course the best way to save money and get better hardware is to build it yourself. Is that an option for you?

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

What Andorski said, save a bit on the CPU and put that money towards a better GPU. You'll have a more balanced system that will perform better overall in games. Keep the 16GB RAM though imo.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Vextroid

Like it has been mentioned bump that i7 down to an i5 4570K if the most intense thing you are doing on that PC is gaming.

Also what brand is the PSU? It just says 700W hopefully it's not some no name brand that was cheap because it claims 700W for such a price.

DanielQC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DanielQC
    @kidavenger said:

Alright, I'll talk to my vendor about it if I can get a lower price for everything.

@jjweatherman said:

@kidavenger said:

Agreed. Not to say it's bad, but as is always the case, you can build something better for less money.

If it were me, I'd drop down to a cheaper i5 CPU, possibly even an Ivybridge (last gen) if you want to save further (you'd of course need a different mobo at that point). That'd give you more to spend on a new 700 series GPU (such as the 770) as opposed to that 670. And you're going to want a traditional hard drive to go alongside that SSD, as games these days can start to fill even a terabyte drive in a hurry. All of this probably shouldn't cost you any more than $1,300 if you build it yourself. $1,500 tops.

I've looked for lowering my CPU for an i5 instead of an i7 and if I do it, I can save over a hundred dollars. But it it really worth it to invest the money saved in a better graphic card than the 670? I've heard that the price of those GPU did already get lowered by about 50$; will they still loose value soon? Is there such a big difference of performance between the 670 and the 770/780 including the price/quality ratio? I will also get at least a 1TO hard drive to go along with my 120GB SSD.

@andorski said:

Paying way too much as it stands right now

If you want to lower the price, bump down your CPU to i5 and RAM to 8GB(and even lose the sound card unless you are an audiophile. Then use the money you saved to get the GTX 770. There is no real reason to get the GTX 670 at this point unless you find a really good deal on it.

Of course the best way to save money and get better hardware is to build it yourself. Is that an option for you?

I will probably not lower my RAM since it does save me about 25-30$ only for doing so. Is it a good deal to buy the GTX 670 for about 350$? Yes, I know I would save money by building the computer myself, but I have never done anything like that in the past and I have no skill in computer assembling at all, so I won't do it.

@pr1mus said:

What Andorski said, save a bit on the CPU and put that money towards a better GPU. You'll have a more balanced system that will perform better overall in games. Keep the 16GB RAM though imo.

Yes, I've decided to keep the 16GB Ram since it doesn't save me a lot of money.

@vextroid said:

Like it has been mentioned bump that i7 down to an i5 4570K if the most intense thing you are doing on that PC is gaming.

Also what brand is the PSU? It just says 700W hopefully it's not some no name brand that was cheap because it claims 700W for such a price.

Alright, everyone is saying to me to lower my CPU to an i5, so I will think about it since I've looked up and I could save hundreds. Yes, I am buying it for gaming, I'm not doing any type of programming or stuff like that. The PSU is a Thermaltake TR2-700W 80PLUS 120mm FAN (Forgot to mention it, it is listed at 90$ with no taxes, so about a hundred bucks with them).

Thanks for all your replies guys!

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

@danielqc:

1. Yes, the 770 would be a significant upgrade from the 670. The 770 is more or less on par with a 680, which is the next step up from the 670. A 770 should cost you ~$400, so if I were you, I'd go with it if you can. The GPU's the most vital component when it comes to gaming, so don't settle here.
    2. Whatever you do, make sure to abandon that Thermaltake TR2. It seems to be a terrible power supply that isn't stable or reliable. You don't want your entire system to be compromised because of a flaky power supply. Something from SeaSonic or Corsair would likely serve you a lot better. Take a look at this list for a general guide. You may notice the TR2 in the Tier 5 (AKA: "NOT RECOMMENDED") category.
    DanielQC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DanielQC

@jjweatherman:

1. Alright, I've looked up at my seller website and found a NVIDIA Gigabyte GeForce GTX770 OC 2Gb GDDR5 256Bit PCI-E 3.0 GPU that I could buy for 425$ with no taxes included in the price. There is more details about the GPU:

• WINDFORCE 3X 450W Cooling system