Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Xbox 360 Wired Controller Code 28

McGriddle550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By McGriddle550

So I keep trying to use both my wired xbox controller and my madcatz fightpad on my computer. Every time I do though it says that I am missing drivers and I have a code 28 error code in the properties of both controllers. I have tried multiple times now reinstalling and uninstalling the drivers for the wired controller and rebooting my pc and it still doesn't work. And I know I'm downloading the 64-bit drivers so it's not a matter of me installing the wrong drivers. Do any of you duders know of any ways to fix this problem?

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MrKlorox

Have you ever installed third party drivers to get a PS3 controller to work on your machine or anything like that? I remember my 360 controller drivers breaking one time after updating MotionInJoy (PS3 controller drivers) and they wouldn't install correctly until after I had uninstalled and deleted the conflicting third party driver.

McGriddle550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By McGriddle550

@MrKlorox: Nope, I don't have any PS3 drivers.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MrKlorox

You might take a look at it in your device manager and try to manually update the driver. Make sure to have it display all compatible drivers found on your system, and choose the right one from the list. And it doesn't have to be PS3 drivers to cause such a conflict. It could be some other controller driver.

McGriddle550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By McGriddle550

@MrKlorox: Thank you so much I was able to fix it, you are a gentleman and scholar good sir!

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MrKlorox
    @McGriddle550: Awesome. Glad it was that easy.
    sybyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sybyz

guys im having the same problem 360 fightstick doesnt work on my new laptop and getting really crazy !!! its getting code 28 no driver found error .

i have tried on 4 different pc and works well but why not on my laptop ?

maybe because of usb 3.0 ?

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By DystopiaX

@sybyz said:

guys im having the same problem 360 fightstick doesnt work on my new laptop and getting really crazy !!! its getting code 28 no driver found error .

i have tried on 4 different pc and works well but why not on my laptop ?

maybe because of usb 3.0 ?

Do the same thing the other guy did. Windows has a list of drivers preinstalled, just find the 360 controller one and install it.

hrster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you so much! You just helped me a lot and I appreciate it.

max_verweij

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By max_verweij

Please help!

Hi guys I have the same same problem and i manually tried to update my driver at my device manager but when I'm trying to update it says: '' windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it. acces denied (code 28).
    when i plug it in my controller starts blinking.

I have a normal wired xbox360 controller

codenamelenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I would recommend uninstalling the driver completely from the device manager then plugging it back in to have it reinstall the drivers.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@max_verweij: Do you have another HID device plugged in that could possibly be using the drivers?
    If uninstalling/reinstalling doesn't work you could try unplugging every usb device outside of mouse and keyboard, rebooting and trying again.

If that fails as well, try hitting F8 while booting and try to uninstall the drivers in safe mode.

BoofDumble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcgriddle550: I know this is a bit late, but how did you fix it? I went to the website and downloaded the most recent version (1.2) and it didn't install correctly? I'm getting Code 28 as well. I wanna use a controller for GTA 5, because playing with a keyboard and mouse is frustrating somewhat. Please help. D:

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.