Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Perfect Dark

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released May 22, 2000

Perfect Dark is a first-person shooter for the Nintendo 64 and the spiritual successor to the 1997 smash hit GoldenEye 007.

I Think I Lost My Headache

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

Edited By natetodamax

So today I finished Perfect Dark, which I bought off the Xbox LIVE Marketplace shortly after it came out. Okay, well, I didn't completely finish it. But I think I'm on the last mission, and that's good enough for me because......

...... Holy crap, this game is painful. 

Really, the only good thing I got out of it was the memories of Goldeneye 007 that came back to me as I played it. Now that I think about it, Perfect Dark also made me love today's first person shooters even more. It made me love the fact that developers aren't making games like it anymore. 

Screw you Suit Dude. You don't make things better.
    Playing through the campaign, I couldn't stop myself from getting headaches as I played. When I think about it, it may be the aftereffect of the lightning fast movement speed combined with the 60 frames per second that made it seem like I was gliding across some ice equipped with a pair of skates that were propelled by sizable rockets. But really, I think the physical pain the game caused me was a result of the horrible missions structure. In present-day shooters you are given clear objectives, and most of the time it's easy to figure out where you need to be going. You see, Perfect Dark isn't anything like that. Or rather, modern day shooters aren't anything like Perfect Dark. You are given three objectives immediately before every mission, and the game does absolutely nothing to show you how to complete these. An objective as simple as "Disable the shields" can turn into a pathetic 20 minute long journey through the entire level trying to figure out how to disable said shields. 

There is no map or helpful waypoints of any kind. I find myself being strained to complete every mission in the game because it doesn't make clear what I need to be doing. The constant state of being lost has lead me to getting headaches nearly every time I've played, because running in circles through every part of a level is never a fun thing to do. And if, by chance, I wasn't getting a headache, I was getting enormously frustrated at the dumb level design that would place objectives in inconspicuous locations, or at Elvis who seems to enjoy falling behind and getting murdered.

I think Perfect Dark is the first game to cause me pain. That's not cool :(
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By natetodamax

So today I finished Perfect Dark, which I bought off the Xbox LIVE Marketplace shortly after it came out. Okay, well, I didn't completely finish it. But I think I'm on the last mission, and that's good enough for me because......

...... Holy crap, this game is painful. 

Really, the only good thing I got out of it was the memories of Goldeneye 007 that came back to me as I played it. Now that I think about it, Perfect Dark also made me love today's first person shooters even more. It made me love the fact that developers aren't making games like it anymore. 

Playing through the campaign, I couldn't stop myself from getting headaches as I played. When I think about it, it may be the aftereffect of the lightning fast movement speed combined with the 60 frames per second that made it seem like I was gliding across some ice equipped with a pair of skates that were propelled by sizable rockets. But really, I think the physical pain the game caused me was a result of the horrible missions structure. In present-day shooters you are given clear objectives, and most of the time it's easy to figure out where you need to be going. You see, Perfect Dark isn't anything like that. Or rather, modern day shooters aren't anything like Perfect Dark. You are given three objectives immediately before every mission, and the game does absolutely nothing to show you how to complete these. An objective as simple as "Disable the shields" can turn into a pathetic 20 minute long journey through the entire level trying to figure out how to disable said shields. 

There is no map or helpful waypoints of any kind. I find myself being strained to complete every mission in the game because it doesn't make clear what I need to be doing. The constant state of being lost has lead me to getting headaches nearly every time I've played, because running in circles through every part of a level is never a fun thing to do. And if, by chance, I wasn't getting a headache, I was getting enormously frustrated at the dumb level design that would place objectives in inconspicuous locations, or at Elvis who seems to enjoy falling behind and getting murdered.

I think Perfect Dark is the first game to cause me pain. That's not cool :(
    thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By thehexeditor

Yeah, that Joanna Dark really makes you bend over and take it.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By beargirl1

yeah, Perfect Dark is messed up to play today. although i didn't stop for those problems, i stopped playing because i kept blowing the president (or something) up in one mission. 

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#4  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Welcome to the world of finding out your childhood favorites aren't as good as you remembered them to be. I am playing through KotOR right now, and man, the D&D ruleset aspects of that game aren't implemented well at all. More than half the feats and skills in that game are just plain worthless and the other half make the game easy. Thank goodness the story and characters still hold up, because the actual act of playing that game is kind of dull.

Similarly, Perfect Dark (and thus, Goldeneye) only work in the context of the time and the console they originated on. Remove either and suddenly the obtuse mission design and the copious auto aim aren't so great anymore, eh? Same goes with the multiplayer, but alas: Nostalgia.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By natetodamax
    @AjayRaz said:
    " yeah, Perfect Dark is messed up to play today. although i didn't stop for those problems, i stopped playing because i kept blowing the president (or something) up in one mission.  "
    Was it the mission on the plane? I seem to recall failing that one a lot because the President was dying
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By natetodamax
    @ArbitraryWater said:

Similarly, Perfect Dark (and thus, Goldeneye) only work in the context of the time and the console they originated on. Remove either and suddenly the obtuse mission design and the copious auto aim aren't so great anymore, eh? Same goes with the multiplayer, but alas: Nostalgia. "
    True, but I don't remember having a hard time completing Goldeneye. If I remember correctly, the missions were pretty straightforward. It wasn't just "Hey, here's a list of objectives now go go go!"
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By beargirl1
    @natetodamax said:
    " @AjayRaz said:
    " yeah, Perfect Dark is messed up to play today. although i didn't stop for those problems, i stopped playing because i kept blowing the president (or something) up in one mission.  "
    Was it the mission on the plane? I seem to recall failing that one a lot because the President was dying "
    the one after that, i think. the one where the plane crashes and you're in some snowy place. i kept shooting the robots around him and blowing him up. after that happening about twice, i never touched it again for some reason.  
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By natetodamax
    @AjayRaz: Yes, that was going to be my second guess. I definitely remembering blowing him up a few times too.
    Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Akrid

I didn't mind too much when I was a kid. I noticed, but it didn't frustrate me for some reason. I actually 100%'ed that game.

If I played it today without the nostalgia and knowing what I'm supposed to be doing, I'd probably dislike it too. But still, it kind of sucks that modern day shooters are such criminal hand-holders.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By SSully

This game gave me a headache back in the day, the mission were just as confusing then. Still was a great game.

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DeathByWaffle

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By natetodamax
    @DeathByWaffle: Glad somebody got the reference!
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

When thinking about designing a game conveying information to the player is one the biggest jobs the designers have and over the past decade or so the way games do that has changed drastically. I remember first seeing games with arrows pointing to your waypoints and then later seeing games where you could set your own waypoints, at their original introduction into gaming these were mind-blowing features for me.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King

Tetrisphere caused me pain, so it's probably the N64's fault.

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By RichardLOlson

Oh how I miss Goldeneye.  Yes Perfect Dark is very far from perfect, but I downloaded it today.  Just to give myself a sense of Goldeneye feeling.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By Claude

That's why reimagining is the best. Hi-rez or HD is for pussies that are scared to face the truth. Old 3D games are lame and don't hold up well. Let go assholes, just let go. Let us relive the lies with new hints of truth.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By shirogane

Lost your headache? Shall i...hit you to bring it back? 

I didn't play Perfect Dark, but i remember Goldeneye, and i remember sucking at it, horribly. 
    Strange how this stuff is so bad, yet, Doom 1 and 2 are still fairly playable by today's standards.
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Those games ain't bad, our expectations are just higher nowadays!
    I still love games like Perfect Dark, they presented a journey, instead of a flyby cam that showed you half the level and what you should destroy/activate or a rollercoaster ride where your only objective is shoot stuff or disable a bomb while everything happens around you.

Nostalgia <3

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Azteck
    @AjayRaz said:
    It was so good until you added the "up in one mission".
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By natetodamax
    @Azteck said:
    " @AjayRaz said:
    It was so good until you added the "up in one mission". "
     I had to read his sentence twice because of that.
    DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By DocHaus

I just wanted to say I love the QotSA reference there.

Also, like another poster mentioned, the problem with childhood nostalgia hits you when you actually go back and play the damn thing you loved: the game mechanics have evolved so much that the stuff we take for granted simply isn't there in the game, and if it weren't for the good times we remember from before we cared about those things we never would have played them in the first place. Stupid pansies, needing things like a "map" and "clear objectives" and "AI that doesn't instantly turn your face into a bullet magnet." Back in my day you were lucky to have games where the character didn't clip into the level geometry and force you to restart the whole level! 

Now turn off that durned rap music and get off my lawn!

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By natetodamax
    @DocHaus: Glad you got the reference!
    myalt22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By myalt22

I had never owned the original so I had no sense of nostalgia....

I understand your pain, man. I can't even do the second mission. It's like "RUN JOANNA, RADIATION!" and I'm like wut? Run WHERE?

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

None of that bothered me then and not now either.
    Loved exploring and finding out on my own where to go/what to do (which was often obvious enough if you just listened/read/paid attention).
    I never ever got stuck in the game because my objective wasn't clear.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By TheFreeMan

@myalt22 said:

I had never owned the original so I had no sense of nostalgia....

I understand your pain, man. I can't even do the second mission. It's like "RUN JOANNA, RADIATION!" and I'm like wut? Run WHERE?

The second level in the Datadyne building? uhm, the room you enter has a god-damned nuclear reactor or something in it. you're not supposed to be in that room because radiation and you'll die. you use the camspy to take pictures of the "isotope" for evidence.

i think there's a shield hidden behind it, though. maybe on on perfect agent.

if that presented a stopping block, man, using those little cleaning robots is going to piss you right off. pausing the game and looking at the detailed descriptions of your objectives is actually extremely helpful. it'll tell you exactly what you'll need to do, most of the time - if you just try and go by the shorthand, it's a lot tougher to find your way.

anyways, i really like perfect dark. it definitely shows it's age, but the shooting is really satisfying and i appreciate how the levels are so open and twisty, but not so ridiculous and twisty like some old-school PC FPS, and there's no "find blue keycard" type stuff. also the voice work is amazing, ironically or no.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.