Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 4 Golden

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 14, 2012

Persona 4 Golden is an update of the critically acclaimed PlayStation 2 role-playing game. New additions and changes have been made exclusively for the PlayStation Vita.

So the Killer app for the Vita is a remake of a PS2 game?

• 60 results
    mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By mikey87144

So I've never played Persona 4 but based on what I've read from around the inter webs it is on the shortlist one of the greatest RPGs ever made. I've been interested in the Vita for a while so I was wondering if this game is a good reason to but it.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Yeah and it will come out on 360\PS3 when it doesn't sell.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By captain_clayman

If you've never played it and you want a vita it's probably a good reason to get it. I don't know if it's the 'killer app' but it seems pretty fantastic.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Hailinel

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Hahaha no. It's already sold very well.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By EXTomar

It isn't surprising. Games with loops like this are great for portables.

delsaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By delsaber

Well, I just bought a Vita for it. Nothing else has compelled me to do so.

Remake of a PS2 game is the Vita's killer app... kind of speaks to the strength, or lack thereof, of the current library, doesn't it? Even if it is one of the all-time PS2 greats. Still, it's early into the Vita's lifespan, but it's a problem Sony needs to solve sooner rather than later.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By pyrodactyl

@Hailinel said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

In japan at least... Beside, putting this out on 360/PS3 would be a huge kick in the balls for me, waiting on Persona 5 for years now.

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cannonballbam

@pyrodactyl said:

@Hailinel said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

In japan at least...

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By BisonHero

I think this has way better legs than the Star Fox 64 and Ocarina of Time remakes on the 3DS. I just don't know how anybody got excited for those, when they're basically the same game you played 15 years ago. At least Golden adds some content, though it being the single shining star for the Vita right now is still indicative of how unexciting the Vita's upcoming releases are.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Baillie

It's funny because it is in no way going to compete with the enjoyment of watching the Persona 4 Endurance Run.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hailinel

@cannonballBAM said:

@pyrodactyl said:

@Hailinel said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

In japan at least...

Not really. In North America, the game will likely sell quite well for an Atlus title, meaning that it won't be a million seller, but it'll do well enough for them to be happy.

A lot of people on Giant Bomb seem to have this skewed sense of how popular Persona actually is outside of this website.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Hizang

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Fuck you for saying that, I was going to buy a Vita for this game but now I feel like I shouldn't.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By colourful_hippie

@Hizang said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Fuck you for saying that, I was going to buy a Vita for this game but now I feel like I shouldn't.

Have fun waiting for that nonexistent 360/PS3 port.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By EquitasInvictus

If a Vita is in your budget totally go for it! And grab Persona 3 Portable and potentially Persona 2: Innocent Sin while you're at it (Revelations: Persona if you're feeling adventurous like I did, although that gets really grindy, admittedly). Persona 3 Portable at the very least, since that's very comparable in qualities to Persona 4 (although you might want to play that first since there's some constraining aspects of the combat system that might make it feel counterintuitive to rollback later).

dezvous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By dezvous

Am I the only one who's totally fine with that? I would argue this game is even better on a handheld, don't have to worry about saving before you power off. Just throw it into sleep mode, then pop in to play a single day, train in the TV, or just run around time and explore and back into sleep mode. It's brilliant.

I love being able to play my all time favorite games another time only this time in a portable setting. The PSP was incredible for that! Metal Gear Solid, Dino Crisis, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and IX. I mean what more could you ask, it was freaking incredible!

If the PS Vita becomes just that, even more power to them! It's an incredible way for me to reminisce while not wasting my console time playing those games via backwards compatibility etc.

I can only just imagine how great it would be to revisit Final Fantasy X, Onimusha, Silent Hill, SSX, Gran Turismo 4, and Devil May Cry on this incredible handheld! I really hope they start bringing out some classic PS2 games to this thing. Even if they were ports with some extra options like the PSP with PS1 games.

Give them to me!

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Phatmac

Funny considering that the 3DS's only game last year was ocarina 3D. That is until super land 3d

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By laserbolts

It's pretty sad that fusing persona and nearly passing out from boredom is the go to for the vita.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Addfwyn

I wouldn't say it's the killer app, but it's a nice perk. There's a lot of good content on the Vita, I get a ton of use out of mine. It's certainly one of a several good titles though.

I've never bought into the 'killer app' philosophy though. One title alone is never enough to make me want to buy an entirely new console. It takes several.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Sooty

@laserbolts said:

It's pretty sad that fusing persona and nearly passing out from boredom is the go to for the vita.

At least it's not another yearly entry that does nothing new or exciting with little personality, like Call of Duty, Halo and Assassins Creed.

I think I like Persona because it feels like the Pokemon games Nintendo should be making now that technology has moved past the Game Boy.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ProfessorEss

@Hailinel said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Where do you get your sales data? It seems every thread that questions the success of a game you like you pop in and say "No it's very popular and it was very successful" without any source or additional information. I'm not trying to hassle you, it's just that I can never tell if you actually have any data or information or if you're just making assumptions.

Just curious.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Animasta

@Sooty said:

@laserbolts said:

At least it's not another yearly entry that does nothing new or exciting with little personality, like Call of Duty, Halo and Assassins Creed.

I think I like Persona because it feels like the Pokemon games Nintendo should be making now that technology has moved past the Game Boy.

they may not do anything new, but at least they're THERE (persona 5 anybody?)

also comparing persona to pokemon... they made the first two SMT games on the super nintendo, they made that style of game. It's not pokemon, and pokemon should not be as bleak and dark as Persona is.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@ProfessorEss said:

@Hailinel said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Where do you get your sales data? It seems every thread that questions the success of a game you like you pop in and say "No it's very popular and it was very successful" without any source or additional information. I'm not trying to hassle you, it's just that I can never tell if you actually have any data or information or if you're just making assumptions.

Just curious.

Probably VG Chartz, it's sold about 200k so far including the Japanese copies that have been out for months, not bad consideering Persona 4 only sold 800k over it's life time, but I stand by my statement that this will come out on the PS3\360, I mean they have whored a 4 year old game this far why not another port.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#23  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @laserbolts
    It's pretty sad that you have so much difficulty fusing persona.
    NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24  Edited By NoobSauceG7

Persona 4 is a game handed down from God himself... That being said, I won't buy a vita until it is much lower.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ProfessorEss

@Animasta said:

@Sooty said:

@laserbolts said:

also comparing persona to pokemon... they made the first two SMT games on the super nintendo, they made that style of game. It's not pokemon, and pokemon should not be as bleak and dark as Persona is.

I assume the comparison is in regards to technology and mechanics, not tone and setting?

If my assuptions are correct I'm inclined to agree with Soot. If someone told me ten years ago that in 2012 we still would have no proper 3D Pokemon I would've laughed. Back in the day I kind of assumed Pokemon Snap was made to eat the cost of transitioning assets into 3D and they we would see a fully fleshed out 3D Pokemon before the end of the N64's life. Man oh man was I wrong.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Sooty

@ProfessorEss said:

@Animasta said:

@Sooty said:

@laserbolts said:

I assume the comparison is in regards to technology and mechanics, not tone and setting?

If my assuptions are correct I'm inclined to agree with Soot. If someone told me ten years ago that in 2012 we still would have no proper 3D Pokemon I would've laughed. Back in the day I kind of assumed Pokemon Snap was made to eat the cost of transitioning assets into 3D and they we would see a fully fleshed out 3D Pokemon before the end of the N64's life. Man oh man was I wrong.

Mostly tech and mechanics, yes! But also Personas kinda are Pokemon in a sense, they have things they are strong against and weak against, and then obviously you can pretty much call them cutesy monsters. (some)

Kinda sad because I bet Atlus could make one damn amazing Pokemon game, but I guess Game Freaks aren't going anywhere soon.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ProfessorEss

@Sooty said:

Kinda sad because I bet Atlus could make one damn amazing Pokemon game, but I guess Game Freaks aren't going anywhere soon.

I always hoped they'd hand it over to Level 5 to take a crack at it.

(One of the reasons I'm so anxious and curious to see how Ni No Kuni :WotWW turns out)

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By BlackLagoon

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Probably VG Chartz, it's sold about 200k so far including the Japanese copies that have been out for months, not bad consideering Persona 4 only sold 800k over it's life time, but I stand by my statement that this will come out on the PS3\360, I mean they have whored a 4 year old game this far why not another port.

VGChartz numbers are guestimates at best, and often way off. Never rely on them. Anyway, for actual numbers Atlus announced to their investors that P4G sold 260,000 copies in Japan, beating Persona 4 Arena at 220,000, and Etrian Odyssey IV at 150,000. There's no reason to believe P4G is getting ported to the HD consoles, and even if they wanted to do that they could just release P4 as a PS2 classic with Sony doing all the work for them.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hailinel

@ProfessorEss said:

@Hailinel said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Just curious.

Media Create releases weekly Japanese sales charts. Persona 4 Golden was a big seller upon its release there.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hailinel

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@ProfessorEss said:

@Hailinel said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Just curious.

Do you take me for an idiot? VG Chartz is worthless. Their sales data is entirely estimation and guesswork with no actual solid numbers.

It's not coming to consoles. You can forget about it.

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MrOldboy

@ProfessorEss said:

@Hailinel said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Just curious.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/10/19/persona-4-arena-sales-surpassed-expectations-golden-sales-also-strong/

Just a quick search. I'm sure someone can find a better source. But 260k+ in Japan is pretty good.

P00zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By P00zombie

I might be one of those rare folk, but I dig handheld RPGs more than console versions (oh how you bummed me out, FF13)
    This was literally the impetus for me to buy a vita and granted its a PS2 port, I could not be happier being able to play one of my favorite RPGs of all-time (unadulterated: lookin at you P3P) while I kick back on the couch.

I'm not arguing anyone here, but now that I got my vita and P4G, I'm stoked to rock this while I watch episodes of Firefly. I could not be more stoked.

The entrance cost was a bit much, but with PS+ on vita now as well, I can rest easy in my decision.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By apathylad

You know, I liked Persona 4 when I first played it, but I have no interest in revisiting that game.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BradBrains

gotta agree about not buying a system for one game though Persona did put me over the edge. also not having a portable system because my 3ds got stolen.

I dont know about everyone else but i haven't rewatched the endurance run multiple times outside of a couple select episodes and i haven't played the first game since it was released so it was a good excuse to replay the game. and its a game i can play on work breaks.

as for the talk of a port of the game to consoles. dont hold your breath

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MrOldboy

@Darkstalker said:

gotta agree about not buying a system for one game though Persona did put me over the edge. also not having a portable system because my 3ds got stolen.

I dont know about everyone else but i haven't rewatched the endurance run multiple times outside of a couple select episodes and i haven't played the first game since it was released so it was a good excuse to replay the game. and its a game i can play on work breaks.

as for the talk of a port of the game to consoles. dont hold your breath

I think a lot of people buy a system for one game. But they justify it with "There are and will be other games that are exclusive to this platform that I'll want."

For me I bought a PS3 for The Show series. And honestly if you are a baseball fan and want the best MLB game on the market, it is justified to buy a system for one game. Especially when the game can potentially take as many hours of your time as The Show or Persona 4.

I'm glad I bought a Vita this BF. Persona 4 Golden was the game that pushed me over the edge, but looking around I'm seeing a lot of games I want to play on the system now that I have one. Gravity Rush, MLB 12, Hot Shots (I never got into these but always wanted to) are a few.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DoctorWelch

On top of that, I wouldn't want to play the Vita version anyway. I just can't deal with new voice actors and such. There are some smart changes, but they're so minor that I'd rather just play the PS2 version with the one and only true voice actors.

Avatar image for dancingpolkabear
    dancingpolkabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By dancingpolkabear

Well I would love to play this version, but I can't stand to be hunched over a small screen for long periods of time. I'd much rather this be on my tv

P00zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By P00zombie
    @dancingpolkabear

Well I would love to play this version, but I can't stand to be hunched over a small screen for long periods of time. I'd much rather this be on my tv

So crazy. Ever since the PSone era, I've hoped for handheld systems I could play console quality RPGs on.

No judgement, just different strokes for different folks.
    Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Grillbar

am i the only who find it kinda weird that op called p4 an app for the vita in the title.

@Hizang said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

look i really love sony, i do but they have not made a handheld worth holding... yes an intentional bad joke i know.

i dont own one so i cant say that you should not buy it but really, what the point

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By evanbower

@Sooty said:

@laserbolts said:

Uhhhhhhh... sure.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41  Edited By I_smell
    @Hizang said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Whatever, he just saved you like $200!

EDIT- But really I don't think this'll come out on XBLA for one, because Persona 4 barely exists outside of Japan, and Japanese developers barely exist on XBLA.
    PlayStation Network MAYBE, but we don't know how easy it is to port that. I'd guess it'd cost more time and money than it'd make back in sales, being a re-release of a re-release. So I'd personally bet that this is the last stop for Persona 4.
    Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Mcfart

I bought it. It's awesome. But yeah, if you never played P4 and just watched the ER, then don't get P4G because spoiler: it doesn't include new commentary by Jeff+Vinny.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Sooty

@evanbower said:

@Sooty said:

@laserbolts said:

Uhhhhhhh... sure.

Sure.

nights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By nights

@DoctorWelch said:

On top of that, I wouldn't want to play the Vita version anyway. I just can't deal with new voice actors and such. There are some smart changes, but they're so minor that I'd rather just play the PS2 version with the one and only true voice actors.

I wasn't aware that the Japanese audio was included in the NA release of Persona 4.

PolygonSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By PolygonSlayer

Yeah, the Persona games have gotten very popular, in Europe as well. Also.. I wouldn't call it a remake exactly, it's a port with some added content.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Mcfart

@HumanoidTyphoon said:

@DoctorWelch said:

I wasn't aware that the Japanese audio was included in the NA release of Persona 4.

I doubt he even knew their was a Japanese version. In fact, to him it was probably just a video series by Jeff and Vinny. Although there's lots of Persona love here, no one actually played the game.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#47  Edited By mutha3
    @ProfessorEss said:

@Hailinel said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Just curious.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/10/19/persona-4-arena-sales-surpassed-expectations-golden-sales-also-strong/

It did good for them.

@HumanoidTyphoon said:

@DoctorWelch said:

*fart noises*
    DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By DoctorWelch

@Mcfart said:

@HumanoidTyphoon said:

@DoctorWelch said:

I doubt he even knew their was a Japanese version. In fact, to him it was probably just a video series by Jeff and Vinny. Although there's lots of Persona love here, no one actually played the game.

Oh no, I forgot to clarify with English. Please, crucify me.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#49  Edited By huntad

It's pretty hard to believe that this is the game I'd be most excited for if I got a Vita. The thread title is pretty shocking, because it's so true.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mikey87144

I've read a bunch of comments on how Persona 4 will sell and I think this point needs to be made; a lot of the games audience will be buying it digital and that will not show up in North American sales data.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.