Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 5

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 15, 2016

The sixth main iteration in the long-running Persona series, Persona 5 follows a group of high school students (and a cat) who moonlight as the Phantom Thieves, out to reform society one rotten adult at a time.

Could we lose visual novel style character portraits?

• 61 results
    Farkas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This is dependant on how the camera works during dialogue. But specifically, no. No we can not.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always loved the portraits and would be sad to see them go honestly.

bsstephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I prefer the look of dialog portraits, but it's not going to be a big deal if they don't show up. I feel like there was a game recently that I thought did them really well, but now I can't remember it for the life of me. But I think they could do some really cool things if they used the 3D models for the portraits and animated them more.

I'd suspect that they'd take the opportunity to show off some Shigenori Soejima whenever possible, though, portraits or no.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@frostyryan: Don't really care, but I suppose fully directed feels more natural.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I hope not, they are part of the persona charm.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
    deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

no reason not to have both. japanese games always kinda divided dialogue between cutscenes and textboxes anyhow. it would be a mistake to lose those awesome character portraits imo but i understand wanting to do a way with them and have a more western approach to dialogue. while it would lose some of its charm, it would feel more organic.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I made this thread quite a while ago but now that we have the new trailer, let's take note of those tears in the screen with a little portrait of the character inside. Maybe those could be a sort of replacement. I'd have to see more

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

From the trailers it looks like they're going to go back to the Persona 3's style of having those comic portraits, which I really liked and wondered why they never had any in P4.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I was all ready to write a whole thing about this and then I saw that I already did and I was like good job 2014 Hunter5024.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#60  Edited By BisonHero

@geraltitude said:

It just doesn't seem feasible to direct all the dialogue scenes in a game the size of Persona. That doesn't mean you need portraits, etc, but there's no way on earth every dialogue scene will be "handcrafted" like Catherine. It's highly unlikely they all have VO, so they need some kind of consistent visual display other than just subtitles.

Yeah, I think Catherine only got away with it because that game is wicked short so ultimately they could probably just barely justify doing animation and VO for basically every scene story scne. I expect a lot of P5 to be handled like P4, in that in a game of that scope, there will be some moments that just aren't that important and they'll probably skimp on the animation and VO and just do character portraits and text instead.

Avatar image for commodoregroovy
    CommodoreGroovy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I doubt they're removing dialogue boxes. It's still an rpg, and if this game has the same scope as Persona 3/4, it's unlikely they will be able to voice every single cutscene, side story (social links), and NPC dialogue. Portrait-wise, they might have the cinematic presentation from Catherine for the more important scenes, but I can see them reverting to portraits for everything else (like for example, the teacher in a class talking about school stuff).

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

@ll_exile_ll: Have you even SEEN Chie's foot stamping animation. Conveys every emotion.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.