Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 5

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 15, 2016

The sixth main iteration in the long-running Persona series, Persona 5 follows a group of high school students (and a cat) who moonlight as the Phantom Thieves, out to reform society one rotten adult at a time.

Do we actually think this will come out in 2015?

• 52 results
    Czarpyotr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Realistically this is the only game I'm filled with Child-Like excitement for this year, and Atlus keeps saying that it's coming, but...

I'm getting a bit nervous with no confirmed date and the holiday onslaught of games starting now that Madden has released. You would think that they would want to put out one of their collectors edition things to start getting pre-orders and hype going wouldn't you?

I'm just going to be a very sad man if this doesn't make release this year. Anyone else confident?

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I think if they still haven't announced a specific date by next month I doubt it'll come out this year. I would love to have Persona 5 come out this year but given that Phantom Pain is coming out next week and then Fallout 4 in November I don't think I'll even have time for anything else for the next six months.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

When it comes out doesn't matter so much to me as the quality. If it needs a delay, then I hope they delay it. If it comes out this year, fantastic.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd actually be happier if it comes out early next year. I'm already dropping way too much dime on games this season.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#5 FinalDasa  Moderator

Is Atlus known for delaying games often?

At some point it becomes too late to delay something but the lack of a hard date is a bit disconcerting.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Haven't they said it would be coming out (in the USA at least) in 2015? And didn't they say this like a month or two ago? (as opposed to a year or 2 ago when it'd be much more reasonable for them to change the date this late)

I mean, unless they are just lying, then there's your answer right? and if it needs more work they'll just delay it.

Other than people on the internet recently saying "I don't think its coming out this year" I have no reason to think it won't. But maybe i'm just not paying attention to the signs.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Atlas has a tendency of announcing there release date sometimes 2-3 months before launch. Persona 3 release date got announced it came out 3 months after. Persona 4 in it's entirety was announced and came out just 3 months later. A lot of people don't realize this since most people are newcomers to the series.

In Japan defiantly, the NA, Probably, Europe, Defiantly not.

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I really want this game, probably my most anticipated game of the year, but with so many good games coming out right now I won't mind if it comes early 2016 instead.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it'll definitely be released in Japan this year, but I'm not holding my breath for a release in NA until next year.

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They defiantly might announce the date at TGS and release in November-December. That'd be my guess anyway. Defiantly. I'm sorry.

In Japan defiantly, the NA, Probably, Europe, Defiantly not.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

It does seem pretty hard to believe, doesn't it? But if they're confident enough to keep saying it at this point, it's gotta be close to done, right? I want to believe.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

If its not announced by TGS and getting shown a lot during the show then its not coming this year.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheBlue

Atlus seems adamant about making the point that it will be out in 2015, at least in Japan and NA. They seem to be shooting for 2015 for Europe as well. The website godisageek.com (Seems legit?) did an interview with John Hardin, the PR manager for Atlus USA and I pulled this quote about the EU release.

“That’s just completely wrong. A lot of people assume that this is correct because they published something back in what, 2008? It just isn’t true. I’m working on getting those incorrect listings removed. We are trying to get publishers locked in for our titles in EU and will announce things when they are locked in. We don’t want another Shin Megami Tensei IV or Devil Survivor Overclocked situation. We are very aware of what happens when we make premature announcements for Europe. At least I am. The only thing I can confirm for Persona 5 is 2015.”

He is also quoted in multiple outlets confirming 2015 for Japan and NA. Looks like most of these interviews were done at or around E3.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Until I have it in my cold-bloody hands is when I'll know it will come out in 2015.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I don't see any reason to think that it wouldn't. It's not like video games ever get delayed.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When it comes out doesn't matter so much to me as the quality. If it needs a delay, then I hope they delay it. If it comes out this year, fantastic.

This is exactly how I feel as well. I would love to be playing Persona 5 this year but not if it is lacking a certain level of quality. I'm always fine with games getting delayed as long as it means developers are using the extra time to make their games better.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Hunter5024

If it does then it will be December.

wlleiotl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'll be out, and it'll be GotY.

watertails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By watertails

I'm still holding out hope. Persona 4 came out in December in the US, so it wouldn't be unheard of.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Shut up.....I fucking hope it is...

Joemotycki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as this game is less than a year away, that's all I need to keep my excitement going. I don't think this game is coming out this year but Q1/Q2 2016 is totally fine. Really excited to see what this game is exactly and where it goes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Atlus keeps saying it will, and I doubt they would be saying that if they weren't confident that it would release this year. Sony's pre-TGS conference is on September 15 this year, I wouldn't be surprised if they announce date(s) there.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I'll be suffering from phantom limb pain well into 2016 I'm sure, so no skin off my back.

But still, would be a hell of a way to cap off 2015. The Witcher 3, MGSV, Fallout 4 and Persona 5? *backflips*

Czarpyotr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was so hyped for Witcher 3 after loving the second game, but I actually didn't like the open world stuff quite as much. Preferred the slightly more narrow but more polished experience in the Witcher 2.

Could not be more hyped for Metal Gear V, especially given that it sounds like they didn't just fill the open world with pointless shit to do. Not sure if I'm that excited for Fallout 4 given the relatively similar looking trailer, and that I thought Skyrim was booooring and I put like 180 hours into Fallout 3. Would have to be pretty new and stellar for me to want to dump all that time in.

So all that being said, my body is totally ready for Persona 5 to come out and I won't have a problem putting down all the other games since I really haven't felt the same level of enjoyment for a game since playing Persona 4 (Mario 3D World was close though...)

The music, art, world, and systems all come together with so much fucking polish and consistency it's really one of the only series that actually succeeds in transporting me to that world and not making me constantly aware that I'm playing a video game.

Soooooo hope it comes out this year. @asilentprotagonist I've been playing the games since the P3, but I guess I didn't realize all that about the date announcements being so close to release. You've filled me with optimism.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

Do we actually think this will come out in 2015?

YES

They have until December 31, 11:59pm to prove me wrong. Even then I'll be in denial.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I hope it comes out this year, but at the same time I need this game to be great so they can bake it as long as they want.

If they don't announce a date at or around TGS, I'd call it a definite no-show.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its not that far fetched if they're doing the localization simultaneously with development. Its a big game for them and they have a US based localization team they must be working on it. It seems like they're/have been hiring temp translators and editors for localization on an upcoming game.

optimalpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hope will always overcome despair!

samuelrgreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By samuelrgreen

No chance - maybe in Japan but I cant see them dubbing and localizing the game this year for NA and Europe.

- Fingers crossed I am horrendously wrong.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Nope. Not holding my breath on this one. Get ready to import if you wanna play this year kiddies.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

At some point I feel like I've moved on before I even had a chance to play it.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By paulmako

For some reason the thought of this game coming out this year scares me.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Japan, yes. Everywhere else, nope.

Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm bookmarking this thread so I can make fun of all the doubters when they release P5 in 2015. Literally every time ATLUS has been asked about this, from when they announced the game to less than a month ago, they've said in no uncertain terms that P5 would be coming stateside in 2015. If you all want to doubt that, feel free. I'm going to be on the side of logic.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By JesusHammer

It will come out this year. As stated before Atlus just puts games out there. They don't have a huge marketing hype train for a year. If it doesn't come out this year somehow then I guess I won't be playing much this holiday. Can't really think of anything else coming out that I'm really excited for and that would be a bummer.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

In Japan, yes. Internationally, no. There's been some mixed messages coming out of Atlus concerning the North American release. The PR people say 2015, but reports are the director is saying they need more time. I would love for the game to come out this year, but I am still expecting a 2016 release.

Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@penguindust: Do you have any source for the Director comments? Literally all I've heard officially is "It's coming 2015 in NA."

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By penguindust

@berserker976: I just Googled "Persona 5 release" and it was in the first article that popped up. Researching now a little deeper I see that the article posted 3 days ago referenced an interview from March of this year, so its speculation might just be click-bait. Color me the fool. Still, like others have said, I'll believe it's out in 2015 when it's in my cold, dead hands.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By Dizzyhippos

Do I think its going to come out this year? No probably not. Does Atlus? Yep and I will take there word over mine.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By oldenglishc

You guys should try Lost Dimension if you're jonesing for some Atlus action. It's pretty good.

(And yes, P5 will be this year.)

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By OurSin_360

Now i hope not, i have to many games to play atm and would need ample time to devote to it.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My answer is "whatever". Wherever I go I preach the gospel of time and its endless march towards death. The upside of that is everything will eventually come to pass, even the release date of Persona 5. There's little point in counting down days; all that does is makes the days longer.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm crossing my fingers extra hard

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44  Edited By poobumbutt

@asilentprotagonist: This is what I've been assuming for a while. Waiting IS torture, but some quick research showed me it was nothing new for Atlus.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#45  Edited By Atwa

I don't think it will.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since they havent started rolling out the hype machine, it's probably December.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

They've been so confident about it that I believe them. It's surprising though. Maybe a release date announced at TGS, October for Japan December for here?

I wouldn't mind a 2016 release though. Crowded fall we got here.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to say Q4 2015 in Japan and Q1-Q2 2016 in the US. I guess it all depends on how well the localization goes, right?

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

I'm guessing Summer 2016. I probably won't get a chance to play until then anyways.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

Fiscal 2015 maybe.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.