Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 5

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 15, 2016

The sixth main iteration in the long-running Persona series, Persona 5 follows a group of high school students (and a cat) who moonlight as the Phantom Thieves, out to reform society one rotten adult at a time.

Should my lack of interest in anime keep me away from Persona 5?

Seauton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The title kind've says it all, but a little background on me. I grew up on Final Fantasy and JRPGs in general. I've never played a Persona game but from everything I've seen this game looks really interesting. As a counterpoint, every recommendation has said something along the lines of "if you like JRPGs and enjoy anime etc etc etc" which I cannot say I do. I'm not sure what to do but I am pretty close to rolling the dice and buying this, I guess I wanted to check if anyone was in a similar boat as me and found the game fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game has a LOT of Japanese culture (not just anime). But if that look isn't your deal and you have little interest in Japanese culture, you're probably going to have a rough go with it.

That's not to say you'll hate it, but YMMV especially as it sounds like more fantasy is your thing (FF, Tales of, etc).

BoccKob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BoccKob

Unless a talking cat and the visual style itself bugs you, it's not really "anime". A bigger detriment for me was how grindy and lame the dungeons were. If you don't mind some tedium in with all of the game's good points, I'd say go for it.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

I mean, are you sure you don't like anime? Anime is just cartoon from Japan and encompasses so much. FF, JRPGs, and anything coming out of Japan, there is a high probability it's at least anime influenced. If you like what you see, I'd say go for it.

Seauton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madman356647: I actually think the style looks rather slick. I don't mind a decent grind unless its absolultey tedious.

@madman356647 I wouldn't say high fantasy is necessarily my thing, I just never got into anime and want to make sure its not an absolute deal breaker

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seauton: The grind ain't bad (you can always drop the difficulty and walk right through everything.

But like I said, YMMV.

MisterEyeballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have never watched an anime, and don't really have much interest in watching one. I also don't really play JRPGs. I played Persona 5 despite all that and it became one of my favorite games ever. Go for it.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Nick

Nooo! I'm not into anime and I'm really enjoying Persona 5.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Zeik

If the game interests you then you should try it. I know P4 drew in plenty of non-JRPG and non-anime types, so I see no reason you can't be one of them.

You could describe Persona as "very anime" and "very Japanese" in a lot of ways, but I don't feel like you need an pre-existing appreciation of either to enjoy this. A lot of the game's themes are very universal. And it's never a bad idea to go outside your comfort zone now and then and try new things.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Redhotchilimist

I think you're gonna be just fine. I have friends of varying interest levels in anime that all managed to get into it. It's not gonna be outrageously different from whatever other JRPGs you've played, anyway. It's not a requirement to watch anime to "get" it in the same way that you don't have to watch National Treasure to "get" Uncharted. It's just easy to recommend it to anime/JRPG fans because it's a JRPG with a very anime-like presentation.

Seauton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Seauton
    Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Redhotchilimist

You're welcome! Hope you like it.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

There's not too much about Persona that has ever been "anime" feeling like that to me. I mean, some aspects but really small amount compared to most. Anime is very hit or miss for me and I think Persona is a great series that stands out.

CountPickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate animes and JRPGs, and have never played a Persona game before.

I played Persona 5 and it's my favourite game of the year. It fulfilled everything I wanted out of Mass Effect Andromeda that that game didn't give me: team building a group of fun, interesting characters and addictive, snappy combat.

Seauton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@katygaga: well this is extremely encouraging. I sunk about 70 begrudging hours into ME:A and wasn't happy about it at all.

Mistzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

you can just watch Giantbomb's endurance run of persona 4 and see if you like it, if you do then you'll like p5.

Avatar image for deactivated-61f8244d70470
    deactivated-61f8244d70470

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Persona 4 is more anime then Persona 5. Watch some endurance run and if you can stomach what is in Persona 4. Persona 5 shouldn't be a big deal.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even if you don't like anime, I think that the graphical style is used very well to create a Capital S sense of Style in the game, so you probably won't have too much of a problem with it.

What you might have a problem with is the structure of the game. As great as it is stylistically, I found it disappointing that it wasn't as bold in terms of gameplay or story. Underneath all its great visual and auditory accents it's a very (very) traditional JRPG. That means lots of grinding, lots of Teen Angst About Life, and some pretty linear dungeons. It feels like a missed opportunity to shake up the genre.

I have a very love/hate relationship with it. I really want to like it, but I gave up after the 4th dungeon because I just couldn't take the combat and linear corridors anymore.

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I don't watch anime. I enjoyed the hell out of Persona 5. Your fondness for JRPGs is a much better barometer for how you'll feel about the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm someone who has enjoyed some anime but doesn't watch them with any frequency or fervor. After watching the Persona 4 endurance run and watching the QL and some other videos of P5 I think the writing is really bad in these games. It's like mediocre YA writing.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i bought, put 9 hours into, and then deleted Persona 5. I've tried and tried to enjoy anime, but there is just something about the writing that is always off. This is not the fault of the creators, translation issues are just a sad reality. If you can't handle the frustratingly over explained exposition of an anime then stay far away from this game. I love a good story in a game, but the actual dialogue has to be at least marginally compelling. Some of the worst writing i've seen in a game, just a constant sigh/cringe fest.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By OurSin_360

Anime is so broad i think alot of people who say they hate anime just watched the wrong genres.

Haven't played 5 but persona kinda lives and dies by how much you get invested in the characters and enjoy the combat. I would just judge it on how much you think you'll like those two things by what you've seen so far, not by how anime it is. There is also a big social link thing where you spend days building relationships with the characters(both main and side), and from what i've seen it's the same in 5. It honestly gives persona it's charm to me, it's not really like any other jrpg's i've ever played so if that sounds cool give it a shot. you could also check out the persona 4 endurance run on here, it gives a good idea of what to expect and it's pretty entertaining.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do you actively dislike anime, or you just aren't interested? I don't care about anime (it's fine, just not into it) and I'm enjoying it a lot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c684a3066
    deactivated-5fb7c684a3066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think you need to like JRPGs or anime to like Persona, I certainly don't care about either of the former and quite enjoy the latter. To me, the biggest thing to caution someone about is the terrible treatment of women and the LGBTQ crowd in Persona 5.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You grew up on Final Fantasy and JRPGs? I got news for you, buddy. You like anime.

Anime is so broad i think alot of people who say they hate anime just watched the wrong genres.

^^^^^^^^^

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

Anime is a medium. It has everything from silly school comedies to slow introspective looks at lifestyles and relationships. That said, there are some common tropes used in the medium and you will find a few here. Nothing too bad, but you might roll your eyes a few times.

Persona 5 is a lot more Japan-centric than the last few games, and I'd say the flaws of Japanese society are a bigger focus of the story and the characters slightly less so. It is, however, a good introduction to the series and a pretty fun hame in its own right. If Persona 3 & 4 are too intimidating to you, this is a good place to start.

The worst that can happen is that you get bored and stop playing.

Avatar image for deactivated-633c70ff026e8
    deactivated-633c70ff026e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't watch a lot of anime either, but I enjoyed this game.

Seauton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatonedudenick: Just not interested. I don't have anything against it but never really watched it and don't see myself starting now (I'm 30, pretty much know my interests).

blackichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I feel people have a misunderstanding of what anime means. All anime is animation from Japan. People think anime teenagers with giant swords and over-sexualized girls fighting a giant evil thing. But it could literally be anything, Mecha, romance, shonen, comedy, horror, whatever.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While there are a couple of series I enjoy I don`t care for anime in general and Persona 5 is my current GOTY. I do enjoy Japan centric media like the Yakuza game series though, so that is definitely part of the reason it appealed to me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.