Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 5

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 15, 2016

The sixth main iteration in the long-running Persona series, Persona 5 follows a group of high school students (and a cat) who moonlight as the Phantom Thieves, out to reform society one rotten adult at a time.

TGS Announcement

• 55 results
    donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 35

Linky

It's happening, fatherfuckers. We are almost certainly going to get a release date here, and hopefully a trailer as well.

They've officially announced a live performance by the some of the folks who have done music for the series, and a thing by the hosts of Persona Stalker Club.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

please let it come out early enough so I can play it on xmas break

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

My entire year has just been anticipation for this game.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Do you guys really think this'll land in 2015? If it does, I think we can safely say that this has been the best year for video games since 2012. Just fantastic stuff coming out all around.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Oh geez, I'll be up watching an interminably long show that I don't understand just for the ending. Again.

I'm so ready.

chroipahtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By chroipahtz

@oldirtybearon: They have been continually reaffirming that it will come out in NA in 2015. If they subtly announce a delayed release date at this show, basically the only substantial source of information for this game up to this point, I think that would be fucked up.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I get the fear but at this point I'm really surprised if it's not this year given how far they've gone out of their way to say this year.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do you guys really think this'll land in 2015?

Not in the EU, that's for sure.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie: pffff, Europe? What's that?

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@marokai said:

@teddie: pffff, Europe? What's that?

Yeah Europe like that's a place.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By oldenglishc

Or it could be the most poorly timed Dancing all Night demo event ever.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I sorta love that I still barely know anything about this game and it's supposedly coming out this year. I'm not going to stay up at weird hours of the night to watch what is sure to be a troll-tastic stream from Atlus just for the release date. I'll leave that for the rest of you.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

They can announce the release date all they want but until the game goes gold and I can download it onto my PS4 I don't believe them.

crunchyflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bradbrains: It probably won't, to be honest. They have to translate it from Japanese to English, so it might take longer for it to reach us. (Here's hoping I'm wrong, though. :D)

Avatar image for mancombseepgood
    MancombSeepgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope that EU gets it the same time as US. Atlus releases tend to lag behind, I ended up importing Catherine.

Oobir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm almost sad that they won't be doing another one of those silly 24-hour countdowns interspersed with trivia and minor spin-off announcements; it's fun to check in to a Twitch stream and watch people lose their minds in anticipation.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#17  Edited By audioBusting

@crunchyflies: they're probably localising the game simultaneously at this point. It's become an increasingly common practice for games with a large enough international audience. (edit: and to add to that I'm pretty sure Atlus has an in-house localisation team.)

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I'll be surprised if this game actually makes it out in North America this year. Unless they're really getting into some kind of entirely new "let's have like zero non-Japanese marketing and not open up pre-orders at all prior to release" idea.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@jeff said:

I'll be surprised if this game actually makes it out in North America this year. Unless they're really getting into some kind of entirely new "let's have like zero non-Japanese marketing and not open up pre-orders at all prior to release" idea.

It really doesn't feel like it'll come out here this year, but Atlus seems to keep repeating that it will, even as recent as a couple of days ago. I just bought a PS4, so I'll be ready if it does!

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mancombseepgood: Not a hope. They've got to do French, Italian, German, & Spanish translations before we get it unfortunately.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Aegon

@jeff: Like someone already said, Atlus is very very insistent that it's a 2015 JP/NA release. There would have to be some serious miscommunication between the HQ and whoever is talking with the press if this keeps getting confirmed the closer we are to December. I seriously doubt Atlus would be fine with lying so many times. They're close enough to the end of the year that they would know whether it's ready or not.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

Is it still PS3 or is it on PS4? Would I be able to import it to the UK and play an American copy? Don't really want to wait for a Europe release. I didn't wait for Persona 4 Golden.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon said:

@jeff: Like someone already said, Atlus is very very insistent that it's a 2015 JP/NA release. There would have to be some serious miscommunication between the HQ and whoever is talking with the press if this keeps getting confirmed the closer we are to December. I seriously doubt Atlus would be fine with lying so many times. They're close enough to the end of the year that they would know whether it's ready or not.

At this point Atlus USA has to already have the game in their hands and well on their way to localizing, so I feel like there's no way they would not know how close they are to being done. (Within a reasonable range.) It does seem really weird that we're down to the last few months of the year and we still know hardly anything about the game beyond a few brief trailers though, but that's not entirely out of the ordinary for Atlus. You'd think something like Persona 5 would get a bigger marketing push than normal though. *shrug*

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it still PS3 or is it on PS4? Would I be able to import it to the UK and play an American copy? Don't really want to wait for a Europe release. I didn't wait for Persona 4 Golden.

They announced a PS4 version like last year.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I mean, PS4 is region free, right? So if EU still gets a super shitty delay it won't be that hard to get a copy

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BisonHero

I'm with Jeff, in that even if P5 were to come out in December, September-December is a preposterously short time to put out trailers and marketing and whatever for this game we've seen like 0.5% of so far.

There was a period of like 5 months between the Japanese and North American release of Catherine, which suggests that in recent memory, when it comes to Atlus' big budget console games, they still don't have a pipeline in place to put out a game simultaneously worldwide. It seems weird that now, of all times, they would suddenly get their act together for something that might, again, be a bit of a niche title because the console JRPG audience isn't what it used to be.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@marokai said:

My entire year has just been anticipation for this game.

^ this. So much this.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Maybe they don't want to spend the money marketing the game when they pretty much just know the audience and MAYBE their word of mouth spreads it? Maybe they don't see the need for marketing to the audience because the audience is already sold? I can see this being how they are thinking.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: Have you been intentionally ending all of your posts with a mysterious bullet point?

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

remember atlas doesn't have huge marketing budgets so there won't be some huge campaign

also this is kinda what they do. I remember like two 15 second trailers for persona 3 and persona 4 was kinda the same way (from what I was advertising wise)

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I still don't believe NA 2015, but it happens with little to no marketing until it's almost released that would be amazing. Make everyone go in blind! It's the only way.

Syce300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has a "and it's out NOW!!!" announcement ever happened during TGS? That would be pretty incredible if that's how it goes but I guess are those kind of announcements even possible in today's world of leaks unless they go digital only?

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"...and at long last, the popular Persona franchise is coming to the PC!"

Avatar image for commodoregroovy
    CommodoreGroovy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CommodoreGroovy

It's almost been seven years since P4 came out! I can't wait! Hopefully, if it's not the end of this year, it's early next year.

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would seem ridiculous to think it'd be coming out here this year at this point, but the way they've consistently insisted it will even up to very recently would make it weird if it didn't. I'll definitely be curious to see what happens - any actual date will be welcome, but it better not be pushed to another vague release window instead of a firm date.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Zeik

@bisonhero said:

I'm with Jeff, in that even if P5 were to come out in December, September-December is a preposterously short time to put out trailers and marketing and whatever for this game we've seen like 0.5% of so far.

There was a period of like 5 months between the Japanese and North American release of Catherine, which suggests that in recent memory, when it comes to Atlus' big budget console games, they still don't have a pipeline in place to put out a game simultaneously worldwide. It seems weird that now, of all times, they would suddenly get their act together for something that might, again, be a bit of a niche title because the console JRPG audience isn't what it used to be.

I wouldn't exactly call Catherine a big budget console game. That game was waaaay more niche than Persona, and relatively small scale for a console game. Also they managed a simultaneous release for Arena and close to simultaneous for Ultimax, which were much more recent. They weren't on the scale of an actual Persona RPG, but at least as much as Catherine.

Regardless of what the JRPG audience is like these days, this is absolutely Atlus' major flagpole title. Nothing else they've released in the last several years even come close to Persona's popularity these days. I do not doubt for a second they are putting as much manpower on the localization as they can manage. If this was Activision or EA or something a game like this might get put on the backburner, but niche JRPGs are Atlus' entire ball game. They don't have anything that's going to take a higher priority to this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's really weird that people are using marketing as a reason to doubt a 2015 release. Is everybody forgetting that this is an Atlus game? They aren't a major publisher; there isn't going to be some six month campaign with dozens of trailers a week. They'll put out a press release and a trailer or two that say 'Yo this game's coming out in, like, two months. Peace!' and then the game comes out. That's how they've always done it.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: Have you been intentionally ending all of your posts with a mysterious bullet point?

NOPE but looks cool... eh lets see if it does it again...

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, PS4 is region free, right? So if EU still gets a super shitty delay it won't be that hard to get a copy

You can always get it digitally off the US PS Store. That's what I'm gonna do.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

ominousbedroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it would be amazing to get it in 2015, but i'm just glad there's a new persona to look forward to. and unbelievably it has even more STYYYYYYYYYLE than the last.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sega's TGS site says 2015 for P5.

Link

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon said:
    No Caption Provided

Well shit. Do I stick with my current dp, or do I change to the lower left portrait here?

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Man, just finished exams today - perfect timing to spend my next few days wasting my time watching a ridiculous Atlus troll stream to HOPEFULLY get a 2015 release date.

I'm so pumped.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

There you go, folks - Summer 2016 release.

Just confirmed on the steam.

Game looks amazing though (they showed some more gameplay)

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, we doing this thing or what? No idea if there are gonna be any more reveals, but it's a Persona countdown, so I have to attend.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.