Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlanetSide 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Nov 20, 2012

PlanetSide 2 is the sequel to the 2003 MMOFPS PlanetSide from Sony Online Entertainment which remains one of the most notable and successful games in the genre.

(POLL) The inevitable Planetside 2 GiantBomb Outfit should be:

• 111 results
    Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Grimhild

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Grimhild

Editing again, just to clean up and clarify for people that may have not played the first Planetside:

The Terran Republic:

The faction that adheres most to the notion of conventional warfare. Nothing but bullets and explosives, and lots of them. Favor weapons with higher rates of fire and the fastest vehicles, though the durability is not quite up to par as their NC and VS counterparts.

This is the empire from which the story begins. Having existed for 1,112 years, it is the originator of all three empires.

The Terran Republic was officially established with the ratification of the Declaration of Constancy by nations weary of nearly two hundred years of war. They brought order out of chaos and introduced the world to an era of peace. Terrans eventually made space travel possible. From this, Wormholes were discovered, studied, and found to be a means of transportation from one area of space to another. It is through one of these wormholes that the Terran Republic found their way to Auraxis, an earth-like planet that could sustain life. They proceeded with their ambitious plans of colonization on Auraxis which continued uninterrupted for 20 years.

Things radically changed when the wormhole collapsed stranding the entire expeditionary force. They began research on how they could re-open the wormhole, which utlimately failed. During these uncertain times, "Vanu" artifacts were being discovered on Auraxis. Shortly after this, the development of "Rebirthing" technology began. It started to become clear to the Terran Leadership that this new technology could possibly destabilize future colonies. They established draconian restrictions on the new technology, so they could study it better without interruption or meddling by private companies or individuals. A sense of immortality began to create turmoil between developing groups of people with significantly different philosophies as to how the technology should be used. Already, a faction of technophiles emerged embracing the Vanu technology and its lost knowledge.

Unrest formed between the developing factions which was exacerbated by rogue scientists and republic military deserters, all blinded by the power that the Vanu Technology promised to bring. Previous attempts to quell the uprising ended in a bloody battle and resulted in the separation of the Technolords, who then declared themselves the Vanu Sovereignty. While this was going on, a second faction called the New Conglomerate seized the opportunity while the Terran Republic was occupied and left the overbearing Republic.

The New Conglomerate:

The "underdog" or rebel group. Focus mainly on weapons that hit the hardest with a slower rate of fire, and vehicles that last the longest, though slower and less maneuverable than the TR or the VS vehicles. Many conventional munitions, but also experimental technology such as Gauss rifles.

The New Conglomerate's origins begin over a century before the wormhole collapse, when a small group of freedom-fighters that called themselves "Liberty's Call" staged a demonstration protesting the Terran Republic's blatant, systematic elimination of human rights. A large group of people gathered to hear their views; however, the Republic's Riot Police put an end to the demonstration, killing every protester and even several innocent onlookers. Now, more than a hundred years later, the New Conglomerate, founded on the same principles as those slaughtered in the Liberty's Call massacre, is determined to write a new chapter of history–a chapter free of the overbearing and draconian regime from which they emerged. Staging a short and brutal rebellion, the fledgling movement broke away from the totalitarian Republic, wresting from it control of several rebirthing facilities and the loyalty of many of its battered and oppressed citizens.

Though the fall of the Terran Republic still remains the New Conglomerate's primary goal, there is no small amount of the group's animosity directed at the Vanu Sovereignty, another cell to have splintered from the regime. It is the New Conglomerate's understanding that the Sovereignty holds alien-influenced views of the human race as a flawed species; one they are attempting to mold into something different–something alien–through genetic modification and experimentation.

Guided by the idea that humanity deserves to be free from outside influences to find its own path in the universe, the New Conglomerate has decided that the Vanu Sovereignty and Terran Republic alike must be stopped for good, and their crimes against liberty brought to an end.

The Vanu Sovereignty:

The "alien" or techno faction. No conventional ballistics, focusing entirely on laser and plasma technology. While not as quick or powerful as the TR or NC, respectively, the VS weapons do not suffer from bullet drop over long distances, and the vehicals have unmatched maneuverability.

The Vanu Sovereignty derives its name from a long extinct alien race known as the Vanu, whose strange artifacts were discovered on the planet of Auraxis shortly after the first expeditionary forces from the Terran Republic arrived. When research of these artifacts led to the discovery of "rebirthing" technology, and subsequently the offer of immortality, Terran Republic scientists were forced to keep research on this new technology secret. It was under these oppressive circumstances that the Vanu Sovereignty was formed and managed to persuade some "free-thinking" scientists to join its cause. As news of the wormhole collapse began to spread throughout the Republic, its leadership began to grow anxious. Fearing that their lives may be in danger from the paranoid and oppressive regime, the Sovereignty broke away, taking the Republic's brightest scientific minds and several rebirthing facilities with it. The Vanu Sovereignty now seeks to destroy the Republic for years of devastating oppression and lies.

Through the use of the mysterious Vanu technology "procured" during their split from the Republic, the group developed exotic energy weapons to aid them in their cause. In addition, they began experimenting with ways to improve the human body through modification. It was this alteration of the human species that generated great suspicion of and ultimately a declaration of war upon the Sovereignty by the New Conglomerate, another faction which had splintered away from the oppressive Terran Republic and which saw the Sovereignty's modification programs as an affront to humankind's natural progression.

Now, surrounded by enemies that they perceive as awash in ignorance, the Vanu Sovereignty fights to claim Auraxis in honor of their namesake and prove once and for all that technology is might.

Those that did play the first Planetside will naturally have a bias towards their old faction, because that was one of the best things about Planetside; not so much the features of which faction you fought for, but the fact that it was your faction. It can be difficult to explain to someone who never had the chance to play it, and since have become accustomed to FPS games where the side of the leaderboard you were on really had no bearing on the game play. 15 minute round over, switch sides. In Planetside, single battles could last for hours, and that was just for one base on the continent, and it was all persistent. The round is never over. When you turn off the game and go to sleep, your teammates are still fighting your enemies, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It gives the combat more meaning instead of just the constant chase for unlocks, which was, and still is, present.

Thanks, and I hope to see you all on the battlefield!

New Edit:

So I would think that the poll should be final at release at the earliest, if not a few weeks or a month after release. This is just to give everyone who didn't have the opportunity to play beta or the original PS a chance to try out the different empires and then vote.

As we near that point, we should also begin to get a feel for who should be the higher-ups on the chain of command. Personally, I'm not too keen on being a leader for that scale, but we have time to sort all this out.

Post your input on either of these aforementioned points.

Thanks again!

church877

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By church877

New Conglomerate for sure

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By fox01313

Just make it look like my coffee, dark & evil looking but delicious.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Grimhild

Hoping Jeff talks about it on the stream that's about to go up. He tweeted this morning that he was going to go and check it out.

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EchoEcho

Terran Republic, of course.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Grimhild

@EchoEcho:

Not gonna lie, I looted every TR rifle I could find when I was playing NC in PS1*. Mostly just because they sounded like the mini-gun on an AC-10 when you fired them.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By shirogane

Wow, perfectly even when i voted, scary.

Erk_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Erk_Forever

I wish I could get more news about the differences between the factions; all journalism is in video format nowadays.

Bubbly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bubbly

@EchoEcho said:

Terran Republic, of course.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By sweep  Moderator

The Vinny Sovereignty

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheHumanDove

New Conglomerate for life.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Grimhild

@Sweep:

Might as well be Godmode. The standard issue black shirts, dope lobby DJ skills, and Picture in Picture diversionary abilities would break the servers from folding all the other factions into a time-belt paradox.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Subjugation

I like New Conglomerate purely for aesthetic reasons. I'm not buying into faction lore, at least not yet.

Otuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Otuz

@Grimhild said:

VS = Pyew, pyew! Pyewpyewpyew! Lasers.

What does that actually mean, they don't have bullet drop? They do area-of-effect damage? They look pretty?

If I remember correctly, in Planetside the First they had two different firing modes (against infantry and vehicles), do they still have those?

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By veektarius

@Otuz: The signature VS weapon in PS1 was the lasher (iirc) which was cool because it did splash damage.

For my money, TR. More bullets means less aiming.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheHumanDove

@Otuz said:

@Grimhild said:

VS = Pyew, pyew! Pyewpyewpyew! Lasers.

What does that actually mean, they don't have bullet drop? They do area-of-effect damage? They look pretty?

If I remember correctly, in Planetside the First they had two different firing modes (against infantry and vehicles), do they still have those?

They also had/have(?) increased mobility. Their heavy gear included jetpacks and shit. Vehicles hovered. Etc, etc

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By connerthekewlkid

FOR THE TERRAN REPUBLIC

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By EarlessShrimp

VS. You had me at the letter 'P'.

Jawshua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jawshua

What does More rounds per minute mean?

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Grimhild

@Jawshua:

They like guns that shoot faster, as opposed to the NC that usually favor weapons that have a lower firing rate, but hit harder.

Redsox44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Redsox44

I never played Planetside 1.

I think I'll go with either Terran Republic or Vanu.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whichever one is the fastest. The slower the game is the more boring it is.

Erk_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Erk_Forever

Putting the most rounds down range only matters if your opponent is afraid of dying; that doesn't matter in video games. POWER ALL THE WAY!

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By Bollard

If I play this I'm going VS, so unless the GB guild is VS... Bye everyone else!

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#26  Edited By StarvingGamer

VS, but I'd settle for NC.

FUCK TR SERIOUSLY HOW IS THAT SHIT WINNING? IT'S LIKE ROLLING A HUMAN IN WOW.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Grillbar

okay look ans most importantly listen to the video that was provided. now which faction match the GB crew the best.

so OFC the new conglorate

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Grimhild

@Chavtheworld said:

If I play this I'm going VS, so unless the GB guild is VS... Bye everyone else!

*points/waves torch* TRAITOR! TURNCOAT! KILLLLL THE HERETIC!

Jk, I know, the old ties are still there. I keep waiting for the NC to take the lead again because that's my old faction lol.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By kindgineer

As much as I loved the Vanu Sovereignty in the original Planetside, I see Giantbomb as the Terran Republic/New Conglomerate more. I want to be part of the NC, but can easily be fine with supporting our "outfit" if it's active as a TR.

nasseh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By nasseh

I voted Vanu Sovereignty, but I've changed my mind to Terran Republic after watching a few videos.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Patman99

NC for life. Y'all need to smarten up and pick the right answer

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By connerthekewlkid

im glad to see the poll is almost even

nice to see that there is diversity

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Grimhild

@Patman99 said:

NC for life. Y'all need to smarten up and pick the right answer

The NC do use the "biggest weapons". Just sayin' ;)

theslothking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By theslothking

How about they each get their own GB theme skin? VS get luchadeer, NC get some sort of giant bomb like skin(because of their firepower), and TR get cool baby. On second thought, maybe VS and TR should switch.

church877

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By church877
    No Caption Provided

NC MAX suit.... Nuff' Said

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By AhmadMetallic

New Conglomerate seem like the coolest. The first faction is the plain boring soldier, and the Vanu guys are laser hipsters.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Funkydupe

I like the NC armor and vehicles the best.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Grimhild

@AhmadMetallic said:

the Vanu guys are laser hipsters.

That's pretty funny lol. I want a photoshop of this.

"I'm only fighting this war ironically. Pff... Are you jel about my laser? It's pretty obscure."

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TheHumanDove

NC were the best in PS1. Just sayin'

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Funkydupe

35.8% tie for Terran/NC so far.

Snipefrag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Snipefrag

TR, and come play with the Archangels.We've been rocking this shit since 2003 !

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Grimhild

@ck1nd said:

As much as I loved the Vanu Sovereignty (TEEHEHEHEHE!) New Conglomerate in the original Planetside, I see Giantbomb as the New Conglomerate more. I want to be part of the NC, but can easily be fine with supporting our "outfit" if it's active as a TR.

Seriously though, pretty much this. I dabbled with the TR a bit and I didn't mind them, but the NC are still my first love. Because they're the best, obviously. Pfft.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Doctorchimp

Vanu or The New Conglomerate.

Hopefully Vanu though.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TheHumanDove

is there a date for the open beta yet?

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Grimhild

@TheHumanDove:

Nothing official yet to my knowledge. But I'm pretty sure the closed invites are going out soon since they kept mentioning it over E3. If you haven't updated your SOE account you played PS on, for god's sake go do it now. As they've mentioned a few times now, original PS players are more likely to get closed beta invites.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TheHumanDove

@Grimhild said:

@TheHumanDove:

Nothing official yet to my knowledge. But I'm pretty sure the closed invites are going out soon since they kept mentioning it over E3. If you haven't updated your SOE account you played PS on, for god's sake go do it now. As they've mentioned a few times now, original PS players are more likely to get closed beta invites.

Yeah, I did it yesterday. Excited

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MrKlorox

...should be decided after the game goes public and people know what they're voting for based on feel instead of promise.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Grimhild

@MrKlorox said:

...should be decided after the game goes public and people know what they're voting for based on feel instead of promise.

People that played the first one most likely have a preference, like myself and many others that have posted on the thread. Also, everyone that has voted so far has been forced at gunpoint by me to do so.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TheHumanDove

we should make a dedicated site amirite? Too much?

church877

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By church877
    No Caption Provided

@Grimhild said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

the Vanu guys are laser hipsters.

That's pretty funny lol. I want a photoshop of this.

"I'm only fighting this war ironically. Pff... Are you jel about my laser? It's pretty obscure."

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.