Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlatinumGames

Company »

The spirit of Clover Studio lives on in PlatinumGames, a development house started by ex-Clover employees.

Platinum Games, lets hope next year is better for sales.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

Edited By buft

Here it is 2011 a new year and my first chance to reflect on the releases of last year. I compiled a top ten list , but one thing struck me about it during my deliberation process, by far out of all the developers Platinum Games had by the best and worst of years. 
    They started the year with the great Bayonetta which was an amazing feat of  both programming and visual style, the combat with its crazy over the top style and fantastic combo system blended with a world that just looks stunning made this game instantly enjoyable , unfortunately its competition came in the form of Mass Effect 2, Darksiders, No More Heroes 2 and MAG just to name a few and although it sold moderately well it (1.1 million copies according to SEGA) it deserved so much more.

Platinum then rounded out the year in break neck fashion with the superb shooter vanquish which currently holds an aggregate score of 85.1% on Gamerankings, the introduction of the Rocket Sliding to the standard cover based shooter instantly made it stand out from the pack but again the game didn’t sell as it should.

Both of these games have won numerous awards from Best Debut from Giantbomb for Bayonetta to Best Mechanic and Best game No One Played at Gamespot  for Vanquish.

Why are people not buying them, advertising? style? some sort of irrational hatred of really fun games?I just don't get it.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By buft

Here it is 2011 a new year and my first chance to reflect on the releases of last year. I compiled a top ten list , but one thing struck me about it during my deliberation process, by far out of all the developers Platinum Games had by the best and worst of years. 
    They started the year with the great Bayonetta which was an amazing feat of  both programming and visual style, the combat with its crazy over the top style and fantastic combo system blended with a world that just looks stunning made this game instantly enjoyable , unfortunately its competition came in the form of Mass Effect 2, Darksiders, No More Heroes 2 and MAG just to name a few and although it sold moderately well it (1.1 million copies according to SEGA) it deserved so much more.

Platinum then rounded out the year in break neck fashion with the superb shooter vanquish which currently holds an aggregate score of 85.1% on Gamerankings, the introduction of the Rocket Sliding to the standard cover based shooter instantly made it stand out from the pack but again the game didn’t sell as it should.

Both of these games have won numerous awards from Best Debut from Giantbomb for Bayonetta to Best Mechanic and Best game No One Played at Gamespot  for Vanquish.

Why are people not buying them, advertising? style? some sort of irrational hatred of really fun games?I just don't get it.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By MikkaQ

Well Platinum and Clover seem to have a history of making neat games that don't sell well, it's probably because they are a Japanese company trying to penetrate the western market. It's really hard to do. Also their style of games doesn't suit everybody, they're very in-your-face, for as fun as they are. 

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Sambambo

I hated Bayonetta and Vanquish didn't wow me.

Just because some people like the games, it doesn't mean everyone will. These games are not aimed at everyone.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By mordukai
    @buft: Well,  while Bayonetta was an interesting game I think PS3 owners got kinda hurt by PG complete lack of support there by making Sega do a hack job of a port. Vanquish on the other hand, failed to meet sales expectations because of lack on online MP. Now, I am not going to say every game needs MP but you have to admit that with a fast paced shooter like Vanquish they could not have done what could have been a very fun MP modes. 
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#5  Edited By Icemael

Kamiya and Mikami's post-Devil May Cry & Resident Evil 4 games don't have a lot of mass appeal to begin with, and the recent "all Japanese games suck" attitude found amongst Westerners who base their opinion of the entire Japanese games industry on JRPGs (that is to say, most Westerners) doesn't exactly help. Just look at videos and articles about Vanquish. Every single one of them has about a hundred comments saying something along the lines of "Japanese Gears/Halo clone lol, it must suck".

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By buft
    @Mordukai: true i heard the PS3 had problems though they made vanquish with the ps3 as its main platform which should have changed all that 
    @Icemael:
      true, that ignorance is prevalent amongst a lot of gamers. 
    @XII_Sniper:
      that could well be it, the games did get some decent marketing, might well have been that outrageous style.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Undeadpool

Too Japanese for a large Western audience, too Western for a large Japanese audience. Making the kind of art you want to make doesn't always result in popularity, in fact it oftentimes doesn't. Still, I hope they keep it up as they're making some of the most interesting games to come out of Japan (even the extraordinarily dumb Infinite Space had some great gameplay mechanics).

RockAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By RockAction

Played the demo of bayonetta and i really want to get it, i liked devil may cry and it seems like a logical illogical extension to that 

i played the demo of vanquish and bought it and its fantasic, hope they both get sequels and do well 

i didnt realise bayonetta did 1.1m, thats still pretty good also didnt know much about platinum games but i'll definitely look out for their name in future 

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By buft
    @Undeadpool: yeh that looks pretty decent for a ds game to play on the move but i have no knowledge of the game so i couldnt include it,they're announcing a new game pretty soon i hear cant wait to find out more details. 
    @RockAction:
      both worthy of sequels for sure
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By Undeadpool
    @buft: I can't recommend it. I wrote a review if you wanna check that out, but long story short: the plot is RIDICULOUSLY derivative, the gameplay gets really, really repetitive, and the game makes you think that your choices have consequences and you'll be able to explore, but it is 99% linear.
    phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By phantomzxro

I think they are doing decent job with breaking a mil on these new IPs in a very high profile year. I Also agree their games are just not going to be for everyone and the "all japanese games are bad" hype will hurt any japanese game makers because of all the bad hype these games are getting. But i still think they are pretty happy with their standings right now. They just need to lock down a dry month this year and release a awesome game and they could make a killing. Now that everything is coming out at the beginning of the year and the end, they need something in the middle of the year that would help them and bring more people to buy their games. 
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Animasta

the reason vanquish didn't sell was because it was released at the busiest time of the year, if they released in the summer or something they would have done much better.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Jeust

You're also forgetting the awesome Infinite Space game. 

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By owl_of_minerva

I endorse this thread. Platinum made two, perhaps three, excellent games this year and more sales would only be deserved. At least those kinds of sales aren't entirely disastrous, although did they make up for those numbers with sales in Japan? I was under the impression that Bayonetta and Vanquish weren't hits there either, which is worrying.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By WickedCestus

I own both games, so I really can't help. I love Vanquish; it's delightfully insane, but I haven't gotten around to playing Bayonetta yet. It seems interesting though. I think most people in this thread have already done a good job of pointing out why these games don't sell well, and I agree with you guys about the hope for their next game's to get more mass-market penetration.

Helushune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By Helushune

I concur.  Platinum makes some quality stuff and I loved what Clover cranked out.  Support good devs!

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Malakhii

Do their games sell well in Japan? I'm curious because they're trying to appeal to the west, and I wonder if that affects their sales in japan.  Guess it's time for my lazy ass to visit google. 

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Enigma777

Blame it on Sega. They couldn't market their way out of a paper bag.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Well, I did my part, bought Bayonetta and Vanquish day 1. And for good reason, because they are damn fine games. I don't really pay too much attention to sales figures, but 1.1 million is pretty good, isn't it? Not everyone can pull COD numbers.

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By VanderSEXXX
    @buft: Well its because probably the trend of today's action games on consoles are more on 1st person shooters. But indeed Bayonetta and Vanquish are good games that are really underrated probably because of the numerous control schemes that seem to be too complicated for many of today's generation of gamers.  

A good example was Ninja Gaiden for the original Xbox while it recieved good reviews it was still shot down by many especially in the western market for its massive difficulty. In fact I recall they toned down the difficulty for its PS3 port when they released the 1st Ninja Gaiden Sigma, which was kinda sad. Going back to Bayonetta, I don't even think its difficulty is an issue at all, and I guess its because the appeal for weird designs and concepts just died out in the western market that most simply prefer military shooters these days over anything else. :( I just hope that Platinum Games continues to make quality console games in the future and be unfazed by the current challenge they face as I look forward to their future releases. 
    l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By l4wd0g

Vanquish was my 2010 GotY. It was awesome. Unfortunately sales are everything, not just how good the game(s) they have made are.

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Malakhii

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.