The Platypus wiki last edited by c64audio on 10/21/16 01:49PM
View full history
Platypus is a side scrolling shooter for the PC (released in 2002) and PSP (2006), whose graphics are done entirely in clay. The game is also different from other shooters in that weapon upgrades only last for a limited amount of time.
There are five types of weapons, the latter four of which are obtained by finding a power-up star and shooting it until it becomes a certain color:
- Basic fire - player starts with and reverts to this after a power-up has been depleted
- Auto-fire - obtained by collecting a blue star
- Wide shot - obtained by collecting a yellow star
- Rockets - obtained by collecting a red star
- Sonic Pulse - obtained by collecting a green star
BitRabbit ported the game to iPhone in 2008, and Escapist Games released Platypus on Xbox LIVE as an Indie Game in summer of 2009.
In all versions except iOS, the game's music consists of shortened versions Commodore 64 game soundtracks taken from existing albums of Commodore 64 remixes from the C64Audio.com record label, which also hosts the official OST of the full-length tracks.
The tracks in the game were recorded by Chris Abbott, Tonka, Tomas Danko, Alistair Bowness, Darren Izzard, Phil Reifke and Fabian Del Priore, and composed by Rob Hubbard, Martin Galway, Ben Daglish, Fred Gray, Matt Gray, Martin Walker and Jonathan Dunn.