Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 2

Platform »

Sony's PlayStation 2 is the second home video game console produced by Sony Computer Entertainment Incorporated, and to date is the best-selling home console of all time, with an install base of 150 million units since its launch.

Do component cables help improve picture quality?

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By psylah

I've recently hooked my PS2 back up to a TV, and I was thinking of getting a set of component (Red/Green/Blue) cables for it, instead of the standard composite cables.

Is the picture quality noticeably better when using component, or is it not worth the trouble?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

Yes, by a whole lot. It's much better.

mot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By mot

Yes, games will be displayed in 480p as opposed to 480i. This means each frame of an image from whatever game your playing will be completely drawn on the screen, as opposed to ever other line of pixels being displayed very quickly to look like one complete frame. It's the exact same difference between 1080i HD and 1080p HD. I would definitely say it's worth the trouble. Hereis an article that explains it much better than I can.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By psylah

@believer258: @mot:

Baller shit. I'll order one on Amazon.

Maybe I'll buy a big AV switcher and plug in all of my old consoles.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By psylah

Bad news, It looks like component cables for the PS2 are to be used with TVs that have Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr connections, not solely Y Pb Pr, which I have.

I guess I'll stick with composite, and call it old-school charm.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By killacam

ouch. component lets you go widescreen too, for those games that support it. or if you're into stretching things.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By BoG

@psylah: Yeah, this is always the case. You must have an old television. Whatever the case, it's worth remembering for the future. If you're like me, you'll never quit using your PS2, so when you upgrade your TV in the future, you'll be able to enjoy better picture. The same cables used on a PS2 should work with a PS3 as well.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By lego_my_eggo

Im not the most tech savvy person, but im pretty sure the cables don't turn the 480i source into 480p. Only a few games on the PS2 even did 480p, the only one i can think of off the top of my head was Shadow of the Colossus. But component cables should give you the best image quality you can get out of a PS2, one step down would be S-Video.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By stinky

there is good and bad with it.

when the ps2 launched there were issues with dot crawl which helped when switch cables. dont know if that issue still exists.

from doing a quick google, a ps2 hooked up to an HDTV you will be trading one ugly for another.

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By CharleyTony

You get way better color separation, but it kinda still looks bad on big HDTVs.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By John1912

All these people are on crack. Getting those cables will maybe offer a 5% improvement at best. It really not enough to care. I really dont see how you could be anything but disappointed if your really expecting a noticeable difference.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By psylah

@BoG:

It is an old LCD PC monitor that has a slew of ports on it. I am using it because it fits in the cubby hole on my desk, and I will be more likely to play my old PS2 games if it is always hooked up.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Justin258

@psylah said:

Bad news, It looks like component cables for the PS2 are to be used with TVs that have Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr connections, not solely Y Pb Pr, which I have.

I guess I'll stick with composite, and call it old-school charm.

OK, you must have an old TV. Time to upgrade, dude.

@John1912 said:

All these people are on crack. Getting those cables will maybe offer a 5% improvement at best. It really not enough to care. I really dont see how you could be anything but disappointed if your really expecting a noticeable difference.

You must be on crack. It's not an insanely huge difference but it's definitely noticeable and definitely preferable to regular old composite cables. What kind of TV are you using?

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By psylah

@believer258:

I have a brand new 42" TV that I just bought, but I wanted the PS2 on my desktop for casual play, so I use this smaller older LCD. I can deal with composite for it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Justin258

@psylah said:

@believer258:

I have a brand new 42" TV that I just bought, but I wanted the PS2 on my desktop for casual play, so I use this smaller older LCD. I can deal with composite for it.

Huh? Look on the back of this TV. If there are red, blue, and green plugins next to each other in a row, then you can use a component cable. If your LCD TV doesn't have them... that's nuts, I'm no TV expert but I thought that was a bit of a standard these days.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By psylah

@believer258:

Y Pb Pr is Analog, which is on this monitor. Modern TVs have Y Cb\Pb Cr\Pr which supports analog and digital component.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#17  Edited By alistercat

Not as much as an emulator.

mot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mot

@Lego_My_Eggo said:

Im not the most tech savvy person, but im pretty sure the cables don't turn the 480i source into 480p. Only a few games on the PS2 even did 480p, the only one i can think of off the top of my head was Shadow of the Colossus. But component cables should give you the best image quality you can get out of a PS2, one step down would be S-Video.

My mistake, I thought 480p was standard on all PS2 games but it's only for a select listof games.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EXTomar

I wouldn't be so concerned about if component improves anything but as time goes on it gets harder and harder to connect up devices that only do composite.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.