Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 2

Platform »

Sony's PlayStation 2 is the second home video game console produced by Sony Computer Entertainment Incorporated, and to date is the best-selling home console of all time, with an install base of 150 million units since its launch.

I need recommendations for Ps2 Rpg's

kuz101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kuz101

I have a backwards compatible Ps3, and I have been researching Ps2 rpgs because i missed out on the era and I am a huge rpg fan, so any recommendations? I do like Tri-ace and am wondering in any of their ps2 stuff was good. Also, I have already beaten Persona 4, Persona 3 FES, and have purchased Dark Cloud 2. 

Edit: I forgot to mention that I also have beaten the two Kingdom Hearts games. 
    Edit 2: Final Fantasy X was my first choice on my next rpg so with all your recommendations, I will buy that next, and I have already got Final Fantasy XII, keep the suggestions coming!

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By BraveToaster

Final Fantasy X

bertmasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By bertmasta

If you haven't Played Final Fantasy 10 that was my favourite 
    Also Dragon Quest for the ps2

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By ch13696

I have a giant collection of RPG's for my PS2. Take a look at my list. Though it does need to be updated. I should get on that.

mau64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By mau64

My friends really enjoyed the .hack games. I was fond of Final Fantasy X.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Ace829

The Ar Tonelico series and .hack series are some good choices. Also, Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2.

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By LegalBagel

The first Disgaea was a great strategy RPG that you'd probably like if you enjoyed the Persona games (lots of character building, leveling items/weapons, tons of classes and skill, etc.).  I probably sunk 100+ hours into that game.  Story is so-so, but the gameplay is incredibly addictive.

Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Faint

the best game ever in my opinion - final fantasy x

notable mentions: kingdom hearts 1 & 2, dragon quest viii journey of the cursed king, musashi samurai legend (i found it more charming than most i guess, i really love the music). id also have dark cloud 2 on this list if you didn't have it yet.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By CaptainTightPants

Rogue Galaxy, Shadow Hearts Covenant , Dragon Quest VIII

XxBarretxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By XxBarretxX

Persona 3
    FF X/XII
    Kingdom Hearts
    Dark Cloud Series
    Xenosaga Series.

Theres just too many to reccomend

ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By ATrevelan

I'd echo the Xenosaga series and add Star Ocean 3. Gotta love tri-ace's combat! 

Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
    Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Xtrememuffinman

FFX!

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By LiquidSwords

Ys: The Ark of Napishtim & Kingdom Hearts I / II

PATERSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PATERSON

Kingdom Hearts and .HACK

Avatar image for whitebrightknight
    WhiteBrightKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say Rogue Galaxy, FF12 as much as people hate it it still is at least interesting, and then maybe some of the shin megami tensei spin-offs like Digital Devil Saga.
    kuz101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kuz101
    @ATrevelan said:
    " I'd echo the Xenosaga series and add Star Ocean 3. Gotta love tri-ace's combat!  "

@ATrevelan:  Yeah, I think their combat system are the most action oriented for jrpg's, and i love that
    Mamba219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Mamba219

There are a huge number of really good RPGs for the PS2. I'll recommend a few that haven't been mentioned here.

Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits is a really fun lite-strategy RPG. I found the story here really interesting and there's a great cast of characters to go along with it. Fun game if you like slower paced games.

Tales of the Abyss is one of the keynote Tales of... RPGs. If you're not familiar with the series, it has a really exciting fast-paced action RPG style, while still maintaining a great cast of characters and a great story. It's really, really long too...a regular playthrough will take something like 45-50 hours.

Tales of Legendia is another Tales of... game, but I'm not as familiar with this one. The battle system is different from Abyss, it's almost like a combination RPG + 2D fighting game, if that makes sense. I've heard that it's quite good, but I haven't played too much of it myself.

The Suikoden series is also excellent, though for the PS2 the really good ones are 3 and 5. 4 isn't quite as good. The games have a traditional battle system, but they have really expansive character recruitment options and extremely in-depth storylines involving a lot of politics and intrigue. Don't know if that's your thing, but if so I'd *highly* recommend at least trying Suikoden III, as it is a superb game. 

Radiata Stories is a terrific and underrated game. It's by Tri-Ace and has a similar battle system to Star Ocean except without the space opera. Instead it's replaced with goofy humor and a Majora's Mask like day/night system where people do stuff depending on the time of day. Pretty much everyone you meet in the game is recruit able into your party.

As others have mentioned, the Xenosaga series is good (especially if you like anime), the Dark Cloud series is a fun action RPG, Final Fantasy X is kind of the poster child of PS2 RPGs (even though I don't find it to be one of the best), the Kingdom Hearts series is kind of juvenile but ultimately good, and there are simply a ton of other superb options for the system. You will have no shortage of fun RPGs to find and play. Best of luck!

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Dan_CiTi

Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne

tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By tranquilchaos

Shadow Hearts Covenant

Redformun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Redformun

Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria 
    It's astounding.  

kuz101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kuz101
    @Mamba219: I would get Tales of the Abyss as i am playing Vesperia, and am loving it, but the problem is that it is 50$ used on Amazon, and i am not gonna pay that much. I will likely pick up Radiata Stories somewhere down the line as well as Suikoden 3 as i have heard many good things about that game. Arc the Lad i'll have to reseach a little, and Legendia i am not fond of. Xenosaga is another game i will have to research. Thanks for the well-written and explained recommendations!
    cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cspiffo

DQ 8.  Best PS2 RPG, hands down.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.