Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 or MAG?

swervinmonkeyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By swervinmonkeyz

Which one should I get? I'm budgeting my games for all those releases next year (and a couple from last year).  I'm leaning towards BBC:2 since I liked the first one. I played a bit of the MAG open beta and thought the gameplay was pretty good but a bit hectic plus the feel of the guns were slightly off, like not just different from other shooters but awkward. I didn't get into the Battlefield beta so I'm kinda of asking people who played both betas.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By FrankCanada97

I only played the Battlefield: Bad Company 2 beta, so I won't be much help in helping you choose. You can read my blog post assessing the beta if you like. (Sorry for the shameless plug)

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By beargirl1

as I played both betas, they for sure feel different. I would totally go with Bad Company 2. it's a sequel so it's greatly improved, and it's not as overwhelming as MAG. Plus, to be honest, I didn't find MAG to be that much fun as Bad Company 2 was. 

swervinmonkeyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By swervinmonkeyz
    @FrankCanada97: Thanks, good post. I guess I'll just look at other people's opinion on MAG then :/   
     Edit:
    @   AjayRaz: I guess BBC:2 it is then. I guess I knew MAG was lacking anyways.
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By AuthenticM

I played both (closed) BETAs when they hit PSN back in December, and from what I played, I liked Bad Company 2 better. However, after I deleted MAG from my hard drive, it received several massive updates which, apparently, made the game way much more "playable" (and fun). I think you should wait until both games are out before deciding which to get. Something inside me tells me MAG is going to be better in the long run.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By iam3green

i would say bad company. i didn't like the mag closed beta. the game didn't feel right to me. it was in the closed beta. who knows if the two games are going to be good? the games aren't even out yet.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By pause422

Battlefield BC2 without a doubt. MAG even if someone does really like it, I really don't see how they couldn't easily see that BC2 is greatly superior. MAG is pretty disappointing if I do  say so myself.

TheEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheEnd

I'm getting BFBC2 for sure. The beta is fuckin awesome.

vinnylegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By vinnylegs

Bad Company 2 by far. Played both beta's and MAG is the worst game I have ever played.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Marz

bad company 2 is a little more refined and polished from what i played in the beta.  MAG has good ideas but it could use a lil more time to make the game run alot better which they don't really have at this point of time.

crystalskull2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By crystalskull2

Go for Bad company 2.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By Ineedaname

Played both Betas never put much time into either, but I put a fair bit more into BC2.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#13  Edited By Atlas

Wow, it seems like Battlefield: Bad Company 2 made a very strong impression on a lot of people. Looks like that game is getting mad popular. I haven't played either beta, but personally I've always been much more interested in BC2, just because the core concept of MAG never sounded interesting to me, and I really liked the single player in BC1.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Red12b

More than likely Battlefield, 
    Though at this exact moment I am downloading the MAG beta, It is taking forever to download, God damn, they should have put some sort of accelerator on it or something honestly 4 hours in 50% complete, what a fucking joke... 

Also should have been a poll :)

DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    BC2, no question.
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Branthog

This is a no-brainer. BF. I'm buying both, but I fully expect MAG to be a completely and underwhelming failure. I suspect that if it all is pulled off on a technical angle, it will essentially be seen as "a competant, but very lacking game". In other words, I believe much is going to be sacrificed for the focused goal of "256 players!".

However, I've got it on pre-order, because I appreciate the ambition and want to get a piece of the experience while it lasts. In 2010, we are still limited on consoles to player caps far smaller than we've had on the PC since about... 2000. Not every multiplayer game has to have tons of players -- as games like MW2 demonstrate. However, the occasional "very large" player capacity could be exciting. I just don't think MAG is going to be the one to accomplish it. And, of course, as long as games are limited to being hosted by the players themselves, the numbers won't ever grow.

Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
    Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper

As much as I'd love for MAG to be super-ragingly-awesome, I have a huge gut feeling it's gonna be the biggest disappointment of 2010. So I'd say go for BC2.

stinky51012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By stinky51012

Bad Co 2, ously

belaraphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By belaraphon

between the two i am more excited for bad company 2.

xander7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By xander7

mag blows

baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By baconbits33

Where the hell is the poll? Seriously dude....

Zajtalan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Zajtalan

are you kidding? bad company 2

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23  Edited By Crono

BC2

drewm135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24  Edited By drewm135

You know MAG is pretty freaking awesome but I gotta say BC2 on this one

Protopet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Protopet

Get both! Both betas were great. I loved the teamwork in MAG. If only one-BC2

MW2 sucks

ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By ReaperOfLiving

I did not like the BBC:2 beta that much at ALL?  I never really feel in the battle.  Yah, the vehicles are nice... But I would have to go with MAG in this one.  You know it is a good game when it lets you go prone.  

RisingRaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By RisingRaiden
    @ReaperOfLiving said:
    " I did not like the BBC:2 beta that much at ALL?  I never really feel in the battle.  Yah, the vehicles are nice... But I would have to go with MAG in this one.  You know it is a good game when it lets you go prone.   "
    ^This. It drives me crazy when you can't go prone (let alone crouch) in games.  While I know in some games it's not nessisary (Rainbow 6 Vegas for example) but it should still be a possiblity in any shooter. 
    Back on topic, I would get MAG anyday.  I got bored with the first Bad Company in a week (tried it again & was still bored), but MAG has awesome teamwork and I like the tactical feel to it.
    r0k1ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By r0k1ll
    @Vinnylegs said:
    " Bad Company 2 by far. Played both beta's and MAG is the worst game I have ever played. "
    How many games have you played?
    Astiaks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Astiaks

Battlefield Bad Company 2. 
    I played the beta for some time and it was awesome. i also played MAG but it's nowhere near BC2. 
    I haven't had so much fun with a game like BC2 (multiplayer) since Goldeneye 64.
    RandomBloke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RandomBloke

I have exactly the same decision at the moment. 

On the one hand Battlefield will have the destructable environments, a singleplayer campaign and since its froma  series of games the gameplay has been fine tuned over years and years meaning that the game will be really tight, with few glitches and little lag. 

MAG though is not really tried and tested on consoles, and pn PC's most games like these fall apart and become huge messes with no structure. Few games have ever had so many players, and worked. But the developers have said that theyve made usre this wont happen, the graphics seem good enough, and this is a proper war simulator, tactical and with big assault and defend based missions which will be fun. 

To be honest your best bet is to wait till release. PS3 games dont generally sell out, MAG wont so you'll be fine not pre ordering. Plus you'll have reviews and, I bet, a ton of threads comparing the games for you to use.  
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Branthog

I'm getting both, but if you have to pick one or the other, I would go for BF:BC:2, because it's a sure bet and a known quantity. MAG could go either way. It could have a rocky start and turn out amazing. It could be amazing from the beginning. It could be mediocre. It could be an ambitious failure.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By dbz1995

I think I'm one of the only people who would whole-heartedly say MAG.

Bigrhyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By Bigrhyno

I played both betas and I might end up getting both. MAG, in my opinion, makes a pretty bad first impression, but once I got to the 256 player mode in the beta I was hooked. Ironically (because the game is known for its big battles), I am most interested in BF: BC 2 for the squad rush mode.

mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mano521

bad company 2 for sure. love the sounds and the destruction in that game. plus i think its graphically better than MAG from what ive seen.     but if i had a ps3 i would definitely pick up MAG too. i have never played with more than 32 people on a server at once 
    i think it would be very interesting to play with like 6 times that many

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheHBK

Battlefield or the Massive Action Game?  Well Battlefield has a real title, so thats a plus.  Also, the graphics look really nice.  And last but not least, Battlefield is a fun game, while the Massive Action Game SUCKS ASS.  Or actually, let me bring this back, that game licks chode.

orionx65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By orionx65

BFBC2 is probably a safer choice, MAG is pretty hit or miss. Personally i had tons of fun in the MAG open beta and have never played a FPS game that many hours in a row as i did then, still most likely getting BFBC2 since i liked BFBC1 alot. Might just run out of patience while waiting for BFBC2 and get both :P

kilzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By kilzombie

I'd definitely go with Battlefield, I barely play MP so even if MAG had better gameplay, I'd still go with Battlefield because of the singleplayer. I also did not really get into the MAG beta that much.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.