Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Buying a PS3 soon

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By redcream

So I am going to buy a PS3 soon and I have budget for 2 games at best. What would be that 2 games which will provide the most explosive bang for my buck? Please recommend games that are console exclusives as I already have a decent PC that can run most games okay.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By ShadowConqueror

MGS4 and Heavy Rain

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Haze is an alright game and is only 5 bucks at Gamestop. Its got a short campaign and a decent multiplayer.

Uncharted 1 and 2 are pretty cheap nowadays. Get the first, beat it quick, then play the sequel and enjoy it.

I haven't personally played Heavy Rain, but I always hear good things about it. It is also cheap now.

Yakuza 3 and 4 are very long games that are enjoyable if they are your type of game. There is a lot of text reading and story parts, so keep that in mind.

Killzone 2 and 3, Resistance series, Infamous and Infamous 2 are also solid choices.

Red Dead Redemption has a complete collection out on retail right now, and its cheaper than a new game with a lot more content.

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By redcream

Yeah I forgot to mention game prices don't go down where I live unless it's second hand.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By jacdg

Journey.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By MetalBaofu

As far as "bang for your buck" goes, maybe the Sly Cooper or Jak and Daxter HD collections if you've never played them before. Tales of Graces f is pretty good, if you care at all about those kind of games.

I also agree with the mention of Yakuza 3 and 4. I really enjoy those games.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SomeDeliCook

@RedCream said:

Yeah I forgot to mention game prices don't go down where I live unless it's second hand.

I'd go with an HD collection as one of your game's then. With multiple games in a collection, you have stuff to hold you off until you get more money later. Don't get any singleplayer only or multiplayer focused games unless you know you'll play the multiplayer constantly for months.

Vamino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Vamino

@RedCream said:

Can you order online? Amazon etc.? It'll take a little longer to get the game, obviously, but you'll save significant amounts of money if that's the case. PS3 games are completely region free.

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By redcream

Nope, I'm still waiting to get my credit card approved.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Bell_End

darks souls and GT5 would be my picks

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By Humanity

Get Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception for sure. If you haven't played any of the other ones then everything will feel fresh and exciting.

I'd say Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots but I dunno how much fun that can be if you're not already invested in the characters. The plot is already pretty confusing for long term fans and not having played and of the other ones would just make it frustratingly convoluted.

Demon's Souls maybe if you can get into that sort of game. Dark Souls is coming to PC now but I think Demons is a lot better in a variety of ways.

Yakuza 4 if you're a bit of a japanophile. The gameplay is a bit dated to be honest and the combat system takes getting used to but it's quite a cultural experience.

inFamous or inFamous 2 are good games, both have their ups and downs. The sequel feels a lot faster and has a more varied environment.

JoeBigfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By JoeBigfoot

A few I'd recommend (in no order):

• Valkyria Chronicles - turn based strategy game/JRPG.
    • Resonance of Fate - Great combat, again JRPG, a bit disappointing story
    • Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction/A Crack in Time - great platforming, one you can play through with a girlfriend
    • Uncharted 2 - get it.
    • Dark Souls/Demons Souls - i love both
    redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By redcream

Just reading all these games makes me giddy inside. Thanks for the suggestions and keep it coming guys.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Sooty

Yakuza 3 and 4 are fantastic games if you like good characters, exceptional production values and fun stories. You don't have to be a Japanophile to enjoy it, but having an interest in the language and culture definitely helps.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By Jeust
    @RedCream said:

Just reading all these games makes me giddy inside. Thanks for the suggestions and keep it coming guys.

what actually your favourite genres?
    redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By redcream

RPGs are usually my go-to games cause I'm interested in good characters and story but I immensely enjoy everything from FPS to puzzlers as long as it has enjoyable game mechanics. I'm also a sucker for atmospheric games.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17  Edited By Jeust

@RedCream said:

RPGs are usually my go-to games cause I'm interested in good characters and story but I immensely enjoy everything from FPS to puzzlers as long as it has enjoyable game mechanics. I'm also a sucker for atmospheric games.

Then:

• Uncharted 1
    • Dark Souls
    • Persona 3 FES
    • Disgaea 3
    • Nier
    • Resonance of Fate
    • God of War Collection
    • Valkyria Chronicles

You should look into the platinum budget prices, and downloadable, as you could probably get more games that way.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By mosespippy

@RedCream said:

Sounds like Valkyria Chronicles is THE game for you.

Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sanryd

If replay-ability isn't a huge factor then the Uncharted series would be a good start, as others have mentioned.

If you want something that you're going to get a ton of hours out of I'll recommend FFXIII. I'm in a similar situation where a couple of weeks ago I moved from primarily PC gaming to a PS3. My favorites have been FFXIII and Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time as far as console exclusives go. I should clarify that my love of FFXIII comes with almost no previous Final Fantasy experience. From what I understand many fans of the series disliked what XIII did compared to past games, but coming in new to the series I just think it's an incredible game by itself.

Red Dead Redemption is another console exclusive that I'd say is worth looking into.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By Addfwyn

There's a LOT of great stuff, but since your budget is limited, should probably try to get some stuff that fits what you want exactly and gives you a lot of value for time. Something like Journey, while phenomenal, probably won't be worth the $15 if it's ALL you have available.

Disgaea 4: If you're looking for sheer value per $, virtually no game will last you longer. Anime style, comical storyline, strategy RPG mechanics. If you like grinding and leveling up, this is THE game to pick up.

Valkyrie Chronicles: An older title, so you may be able to nab it at less, even in your area. Great art style, a nice blend of different types of strategy/RPG elements, and an actually interesting story. It was greatly overlooked but a really really great title.

FFXIII / FFXIII-2: Since you like RPGs, these are available on 360 but you made it sound like this is your first console (yes?). Again, long and involved, and really solid JRPGs even if they do get some flak. One of the best combat systems to come across in an RPG.

Resonance of Fate: A bit of a dark setting, but with a comical story at the same time. Very convoluted combat system, but rewarding once you get used to it. Story isn't quite as strong as some of the above games, but it's a pretty fun game that should occupy you for a long time.

Catherine: Maybe not as long as some of the others, but has a lot of stuff to keep you coming back and occupy you pretty effectively. One of the more unique games on the list too, combining a few different elements on top of a really fun puzzle game. Has an actually really solid story too.

Just to name a few, if you want something of a different genre like FPS or action or something, I can recommend a few. Just those will take end faster with a lot less replay value.

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By redcream

Thank you all for the suggestions! I think that would be enough but additional input couldn't hurt. I'll narrow it down myself. Many thanks again duders!

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#22  Edited By Pepsiman

I'll also highly endorse Valkyria Chronicles. It's probably still one of the PS3's prettiest games in terms of art style and the gameplay is a pleasant merging of SRPG/shooter mechanics which, as somebody who can almost never wrap their mind around most SRPGs, I find to be really compelling. It's not to say that it doesn't have its depth and nuance, but it's all generally presented in a much more coherent, easily digestible format than a lot of other games of its genre. Definitely a high point in Sega's recent library that people tend to forget in the midst of countless Sonic releases.

Resonance of Fate is also definitely worth a shot, but as other people have said, the combat system is very dense and it's actually really easy to miss the initial tutorials on accident since the game technically makes them optional. Very rewarding once you master it, but you're probably going to spend a decent amount of time really coming to grips with how the game plays, more so than most other games people have suggested thus far (and probably will, really).

A lot of other games on this list that other people have suggested are probably well worth your time, too. Catherine and Demon's Souls stand out for me personally, but obviously that's very, very much so a matter of taste for each one.

@Addfwyn said:

Catherine: Maybe not as long as some of the others, but has a lot of stuff to keep you coming back and occupy you pretty effectively. One of the more unique games on the list too, combining a few different elements on top of a really fun puzzle game. Has an actually really solid story too.

I always get such strange looks whenever I tell people that I actually enjoyed the puzzles in Catherine. Such a relief to know that there is somebody else like me after all out there! High five!

ElNeebre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ElNeebre

MGS4 was the reason I initially bought a PS3, and it's one of my favourites.

Journey I bought with no knowledge, and it's perhaps in my top 5 for this whole 7th gen.

There's a lot of other great games too like Uncharted, Little Big Planet and Heavy Rain (never played, but heard a lot of great things)

Zoidberg54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Zoidberg54

I’m going to follow suite of some other forum goers and endorse Valkyria Chronicles as well. Not only do I find the watercolor art style incredibly engaging but the roster of old characters and the way Sega brought action to the Turn Based Strategy genre makes this a must have. 3D Dot Game Heroes is another interesting Sony only game that should be checked out.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By AlexW00d

MGS4 and GT5 are probably the two best games for PS3, so those.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#26  Edited By Hizang

If you can only get two games I would recommend you buy Uncharted 2 (Which has a great single player and great multiplayer) and inFamous for open world fun.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#27  Edited By Hector
    • Uncharted 3
    • inFamous 2

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.