Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Ps3 hooked up to 22" monitor?

William

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By William

I already own an Xbox 360, Wii, and a PC. 
    Would it be worth it to get a ps3 if I'm hooking it up to my monitor?

empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By empfeix

I play my 360 almost exclusively on my 22" monitor.  It's great, only thing is I wouldn't want to play splitscreen on this otherwise your golden.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic

someone asked a similar question on the forums a few days ago and people told him that a console and a computer monitor arent good together.. 

Dragonseer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Dragonseer
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " someone asked a similar question on the forums a few days ago and people told him that a console and a computer monitor arent good together..  "
    Depends on the resolution.  If the monitor looks good displaying 1280x720, or 1920x1080, then go for it.
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Andorski

I played my PS3 and 360 on a 22" monitor when I was in college.  As long as you are using HDMI or HDMi-DVI cable, you will be fine.  It looks great.

Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Brake

I've got this exact setup and it works great for me. My only gripe is that I can only do 720p, but I dunno how much of a difference it would make to be able to go 1080p. I think you need at least a 24" to get that.

William

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By William
    @Dragonseer: The max on my monitor is 1680x1050. Forgot to mention that.  And 1280x720 doesn't look that bad.

Also, how would blu-ray movies look on this? I'm thinking there won't be much of a difference between blu-ray and normal dvds on my monitor.
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ghostiet

I've got a monitor that can work as a TV with HDMI slots and a PS3 hooked to it - looks and works great, so...

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rhombus_Of_Terror
    @Ghostiet said:
    " I've got a monitor that can work as a TV with HDMI slots and a PS3 hooked to it - looks and works great, so... "
    Same here, even though my monitor is 1680x1050 the Ps3 does not scale to 16:10 which is a bummer and i hope they support in the future just as the X360 does. but it does a good job of mapping out the image, even if it is a little stretced.
    kipperminge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kipperminge
    @William: i have my ps3 on a 22" 1080p hp monitor and to be honest with you i wouldnt play it on anything else. the clarity of picture is so much better than on my friends 40" 1080p tv.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By get2sammyb

I do the same and it looks great.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Andorski

Blu Ray movies will look better than a regular DVD, but with a small screen and the PS3's ability to upscale DVDs, the difference will be minimal.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @William said:
    " I already own an Xbox 360, Wii, and a PC.  Would it be worth it to get a ps3 if I'm hooking it up to my monitor? "
    Sure why not. It's the content on the PS3 not what you're playing it on.
    wosifat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By wosifat

Was about to ask a similar question.  Mind, I don't have a PS3.   May get one someday, but there are other priorities at present.  Currently, I have a PS2, a Super Nintendo, and a 360.  I my 360 hooked up to a 16" monitor, but I sold that 360 along with the VGA adapter.  That monitor died, and I have a 17" monitor now, but it's not flatscreen like the 16" was.  I'm pondering either getting another VGA adapter, or getting a widescreen monitor with a HDMI input and a cheap HDMI cable, or a cheap HDTV.  Probably go used, whichever route I go if I make the purchase in the near future.  Getting tired of being stuck on the 20" RCA TV that has the screws in the back that predated coaxial cables (that at least is equipped with a coaxial input.) 

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By wefwefasdf

I play all games on my 23" 1080p monitor. Best gaming experience I could ask for.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I use my PS3 with my Samsung 22" 1080p monitor and it's amazing.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17  Edited By Geno

Depends on if your monitor has sound input. I've heard of tons of people who hook up consoles to monitors only to realize there's no sound. 

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By captain_clayman

I'm sure it will look just as good as your average HDTV, provided you use HDMI, and your monitor supports sound input like Geno said. 

and in general, right about now is the time you should look into buying a PS3, considering all the games coming out!  Uncharted 2 just came out, Ratchet and Clank comes out in like a week, God of war 3, etc etc.

xync4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xync4

Just make sure your monitor is HDCP compliant!
    If not you'll have to use a Component to VGA box like I have to 

kworld plustv 1680ex & friends
    kworld plustv 1680ex & friends

And 1:1 (1 to 1) Pixel Mapping is another feature to look for
    since PS3 outputs 16:9 and my monitor is 16:10 I just have to deal with the image being stretched a bit
    but I didn't get my monitor with this specifically in mind so I'm only kinda bummed until I get a real HDTV

At least 360 has an official VGA cable and supports 1680x1050, which is my monitor's native resolution
    (I have a Viewsonic VG2230wm)

And for sound I convert the RCA Stereo plugs to 3.5mm male headphone jack, and coupled that to a 3.5mm standard PC audio cable and run it into the aux jack on my speakers 
    If you don't have one of those you can try to split the signal but unless amplified the PS3 signal will probably get overpowered by your PC.

I realize my setup sounds a bit ghetto but it works for me ^^
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By eroticfishcake

How do you know if your monitor supports HDMI? I've got a USB port under the monitor so would they be it? (As opposed to the USB ports in the side which is used for general things).

Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Reuben
    @eroticfishcake said:

" How do you know if your monitor supports HDMI? I've got a USB port under the monitor so would they be it? (As opposed to the USB ports in the side which is used for general things). "

You mean HDCP ? and well if you have an NVIDIA graphics card on your PC, Just go to the NVIDIA Control Panel and click on "View HDCP Status" and It will tell you.

You can also search online for your monitor and see it's specs. It will usually say somewhere if it's HDCP Compliant or not.
    xync4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By xync4
    @eroticfishcake: HDMI is easily converted to DVI and back, but the signal won't come through without High Definition Copyright Protection compatibility built into the monitor, you know that thing that made people's TV's flash on & off with PS3.  There is HDFURY which for $100+ can convert HDMI to VGA, or you can do the component to VGA box solution for $60.  Monoprice.com has cheap cables and adapters by the way!
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#23  Edited By Geno
    @eroticfishcake said:
    " How do you know if your monitor supports HDMI? I've got a USB port under the monitor so would they be it? (As opposed to the USB ports in the side which is used for general things). "
    There should be an HDMI logo on it. You can also check up your model on the internet and see its specs to see if it supports HDMI. 
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @Reuben:@xync4:@Geno: Well it turns out Ive got a a DELL 1907FTP. Don't think it does support my PS3 (I should've mentioned that earlier).  Thanks anyway, I was just curious to see If I could do it.
    William

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By William
    I have a Samsung Syncmaster 216BW, I'm not sure if it has HDCP though.. It didn't say in my nividia control panel.
    doctorpayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By doctorpayne
    @William: According to CNET, that model is HDCP compliant. I had my PS3 hooked up through a 226 BW, which is essentially the same model, but slightly larger, and it looked quite good. Only trouble I had was with very dark games/Blu Ray movies, as the contrast levels weren't stellar. I'm now running it thorugh a different, slightly better looking Samsung, I'll post some pictures so you can see how it looks.
    doctorpayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By doctorpayne

Here's how it looks hooked up:  

No Caption Provided

Here's what I use to get sound: 

No Caption Provided

Just insert the red and white audio cords (that came with the PS3) into one of those, as pictured above. Then stick that into your sound card port on your PC: the sound should then play right through your PC's speakers. Note that you'll now have 2 A/V cords coming out of your PS3: an HDMI-DVI cable provdiing the image to your monitor, and the composite cable that was included with you PS3 running into your PC case, providing the sound.

No Caption Provided
    Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#28  Edited By Brake

One thing to remember with the sound:
    Go to the Windoze Master volume controller (Controla Panel > Sound and Audio Devices > Device Volume > Advanced) there selcet Options > Properties and click the button to show "Rear Blue In" and then un-Mute that bad boy. This may be completely obvious to everybody, but when I was setting my PS3 up through the comp I missed it like a dumbass. :P Kept wondering why the sound wouldn't come out no matter what I did.

William

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By William
    @DoctorPayne: Thanks, it helped alot.
    Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By unsolvedparadox

I play on a 24" monitor, it's not bad at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.