Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

PS3 Slim HDD help!

Icebuncle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Icebuncle

The HDD in my PS3 Slim just died (I get an error message every time I start the console) and since it doesn't have a warranty anymore I need to buy a new one. Luckily I have backup of everything except recent Batman: Arkham City saves. The problem is that I have no idea what I'm looking for. The only tips I find online is for the 'vanilla' PS3's and their HDD's won't fit in a slim.

So what I'm asking is what type of HDD am I looking for? Has anyone upgraded their PS3 Slim's and can recommend any?

Any suggestions to a UK store (online or not) that sells them?

I hope I can get this sorted by the time Uncharted 3 is released.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By lego_my_eggo

They use the same hard drive as the old fat ps3's, just read this for any information you may need to swap out the hard drive.

And if you have not double checked the error code, you should. It may just be a problem you can fix with the recovery menu.

Icebuncle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Icebuncle

Thank you for the link!

There is no error code. It just says that the files are corrupt and needs to be restored. I have tried this several times but the message still pops up as soon as I start my console. I would have recovered it if I could, but I'm not allowed to access the menu.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By lego_my_eggo

There should be no reason you cant access the menu, even with a broken hard drive i believe it should still come up. Follow this guide and see if you can get it to work, if it works try all the options but use the "Restore PS3 System" last because that will reformat the hard drive.

its worth a try rather then buying a new hard drive if you don't have to.

Icebuncle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Icebuncle

@Lego_My_Eggo: Thank you very much! I didn't know you could start the PS3 in that mode. After doing a recovery, everything worked fine.

I will name my firstborn after you!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.