Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Question about moving data from old PS3 HD to new system.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By JTB123

Hello all,

My PS3 yellow light'd on me about 6 weeks ago and I've been looking at getting a new slim pretty soon. Could I put the old HD from my broken PS3 into an external drive caddy and plug that into my new PS3 via USB and successfully transfer all the data onto the new drive?

Thanks for any help.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By mosespippy

Nope, if you put a hard drive into a PS3 it'll ask you to format it even if it came from a different PS3. If you use an external caddy it won't be recognized thanks to DRM. I think you're boned. Should invest in PS+ and get cloud saves next time.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JTB123

Are you 100% about the DRM on the external approach, I saw a tutorial online where the person backed up all his data onto an external HD, then transferred it to his new PS3 via that same external HD. If not, that really sucks I've got some pretty valuable saves on there.

Does anyone know a way around it?

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By mosespippy

It might depend on which PSN update you have installed on the hard drive from the broken PS3. Mine broke in January 2010 and it won't transfer but my firmware on that hard drive is so old it still has Linux capabilities.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Grillbar

@JTB123 said:

Hello all,

My PS3 yellow light'd on me about 6 weeks ago and I've been looking at getting a new slim pretty soon. Could I put the old HD from my broken PS3 into an external drive caddy and plug that into my new PS3 via USB and successfully transfer all the data onto the new drive?

Thanks for any help.

you might be able to still acces it via the normal transfer way try it

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/transferutility.html

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JTB123

@Grillbar: That requires the old PS3 to work so I won't be able to do that.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Three0neFive

If your original PS3 isn't functional, you're pretty much fucked.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By lego_my_eggo

The internal hard drive is tied to that specific ps3, and the data on there will not work with anything else. There are ways to transfer the data but the ps3 has to be working for you to do that. Since it is already busted you might as well try and fix it yourself. The fix for the yellow light is only temporary, but should give you enough time to get the saves and maybe do a full backup to a external hard drive.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JTB123

@Lego_My_Eggo: What about taking out the new PS3 HD and transferring all the data from the old one to that using a PC, seeing as that new drive will be tied to the new PS3, could that work? Or does simply removing the drive screw anything up?

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By lego_my_eggo

@JTB123: The problem is that the old HD can only be read by that busted ps3, a PC will not even see that there is anything on there, so you have to fix that ps3 if you want those saves. And since it is already busted there is no real harm in just trying to see if you can fix it. If you get it working you can simply copy them to a thumb drive for the unlocked saves, but for locked saves you need to do a full backup/transfer with the options in the settings.

AmericanNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By AmericanNinja

Unless you are a subscriber to PS+ and you uploaded your saves to the cloud, you wont be able to access your saves etc... You could try the YLOD fix then backup your HDD. That what my friend did she followed the guide on youtube and that fixed the YLOD problem long enough for her to backup her saves.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.