Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Question: Backwards compatibility quality (60GB)

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Jackel2072

Ok so after watching Vinny's and Jeff's Endurance run videos i really wana go out and buy Persona 4. How well does Persona 4 run on 60 GB PS3? is it pixelated at all?

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By chililili

As far as my understanding goes, all ps2 games look good on the 60gb ps3. If it looks pixelated/crappy its cause you are watching soemthing 480i/480p in a screen that's 1080p/i 720p/i

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By brukaoru

Good luck finding a 60GB.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Jackel2072
    brukaoru said:
    "Good luck finding a 60GB."
    i own a 60 gig so that wont be a problem. as for Persona's quality i did some digging on Google and found that the game runs smooth for the most part just a few hick up here and there. To my great sadness though none of the stores in my town have a copy of Persona 4 so it looks like screwed =(
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Before certain firmware updates and updates to the software side of the emulation next to all PS2 emulation was flawed games looked worse then the ps2 version of the games.
    After the update games looked far better then they did and up to par with the ps2 version. so you have no worry about ps2 games playing now.

MatsSundin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By MatsSundin
    Jackel2072 said:
    "Ok so after watching Vinny's and Jeff's Endurance run videos i really wana go out and buy Persona 4. How well does Persona 4 run on 60 GB PS3? is it pixelated at all?"
    It will depend on your TV though, on HDTV the ps2 games do not as good as they would on a SDTV
    Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Keeng

The games will run just like they did would on an actual PS2. The differences in quality, if there are any, will be based purely on whether or not you're playing on an HDTV. Like Jackel2072 said, it won't look as good.

piecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By piecat

I'm playing through Persona 4 on a ps3 right now, and it runs and looks great. The game is awesome, by the way.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#9  Edited By LordAndrew

Be careful. I've heard terrible stories of PS2 save file corruption when playing on the PlayStation 3.

Thievius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Thievius

I've put in about 9 hours of P4 on my 60 gig PS3 and it has run flawlessly.  I've never had a problem with corrupt game saves either.

And Persona 4 rawks.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hexpane
    LordAndrew said:
    "Be careful. I've heard terrible stories of PS2 save file corruption when playing on the PlayStation 3.
    "
    Stories is what you heard.  You can actually go online to the sony site and check official BC status for games.  Even w/ the 60gb you wont get 100% for every game, but it's up to like 98% bug free now.

Graphically games still look slightly worse than if you run them direct from a PS2.  Side by side tests confirm this.  Something about the PS3 video output of PS2 games it diminishes some of the detail regardless of the settings.  Many users never notice tho
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By LiquidPrince
    Hexpane said:
    "LordAndrew said:
    "Be careful. I've heard terrible stories of PS2 save file corruption when playing on the PlayStation 3.
    "
    Stories is what you heard.  You can actually go online to the sony site and check official BC status for games.  Even w/ the 60gb you wont get 100% for every game, but it's up to like 98% bug free now.

"
    Which is pretty damn impressive.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#13  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
    Hexpane said:
    "LordAndrew said:
    "

Graphically games still look slightly worse than if you run them direct from a PS2.  Side by side tests confirm this.  Something about the PS3 video output of PS2 games it diminishes some of the detail regardless of the settings.  Many users never notice tho
    "
    I have run into some problems where I'd save my Persona 4 file and it'd be disappear immediately after. But, the save file was always there when I restarted the game. Nothing as far as corruption though.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#14  Edited By LordAndrew

Stories or not, I've heard it happen quite a few times. I'm not saying you can't play PS2 games on the PS3. Just be sure to back up your save files because it's going to be a real pain if it does happen.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By subject2change

I've played a bunch of PS1 and PS2 titles on my 80GB MGS4 PS3 and had no issues besides a bug at the tutorial part of Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories which was only found on the 80GB PS3 model cause of the software emulation. However just played RE Code Veronica and RE4 over the past 2 weekends and had not a hiccup.

However comparing Chain of Memories on my 32" 720p when I put it into my PS2 and in my PS3, it looked better on my PS3 the smoothing feature built into it does wonders as well as it scaling function.

And if you are really concerned about saves being corrupted or whatever buy a USB Stick and back it up weekly or daily if you want it only takes a few minutes.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hexpane

Wow, I must say I am shocked. .... Summoner was not BC on the 60gb... IT HAS BEEN FIXED!  Sony fuckin fixed a BC bug for 60gb!!!  Summoner is 100% BC now... wow just wow.. I never thought they would fix a bug for such an early PS2 game regarding their Firmware.

So what is the latest on P4 save files?  Anyone have a link?  I've never had any issues w/ any PS2 save files, but all my OG PS2 mem cards are SONY BRAND ONLY.  

Multibucket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By Multibucket

I played all the way through Persona 4 on my 60GB and had 1 corrupt save file, out of maybe 100 saves.  When that happened I started staggering the saves, meaning I wouldn't put a new save on top of my most recent save.  I ended up with 73 hours hours total by the end. 

I played the game in 1080i and there was slight pixelation when you are walking around but it still looked great.  You will notice jaggies around the characters as they walk around and the town has jaggies along the building edges and vehicles.  I turned off the smoothing and upscale and it looked terrible, like playing a PSP game on HDTV.  One trick is to lower the sharpness on your tv, it's like free AA. 

Also, load times were very short as well. 

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

Its smoothes them out

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LiquidPrince

I have a 60GB, and have no problem saving P4.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.