Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Question:Does Sony own some PSN only developers?

NukeGoBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NukeGoBoom

On the PSN store i see a lot of games with "PSN Exclusive" written on them.Does that mean they own the developer or did they agree to not make ports/remakes?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#2  Edited By LordAndrew

I assume that just means that it's not available on any other platform. Whether or not there's some sort of exclusivity agreement, I don't know.

RIP_Icewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By RIP_Icewood

LOL @ your avatar. (Not in a bad way) It could be both depending on the game/developer. Correct me if Im wrong but Flower and the company that created it, thegamecompany are owned by Sony. Other games that I cant think of off the top arent owned by Sony but decided to make them exclusive. Actually you can relate this back to Capcom and their RE games they did on Gamecube. Obviously Capcoms a third party but they made a four (or five?) game deal with Nintendo to keep those exclusive. Man that was an over typed answer...

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#4  Edited By LordAndrew
    RIP_Icewood said:
    "Obviously Capcoms a third party but they made a four (or five?) game deal with Nintendo to keep those exclusive. Man that was an over typed answer..."
    And of those five games, three ended up on the PS2 as well, and one of them was canceled. So an important point to take away from this is that exclusive games may not stay exclusive forever.
    FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FlipperDesert

I think they have a couple, but it wouldn't hurt if they worked on their downloadable collection more. Stuff like Noby Noby Boy and Flower are the kinda of things that keep me interested in the PS3.

Lieutenant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Lieutenant

I think it's partnerships more than anything else. From this it doesn't show any owned studios for psn only games but it shows them partnered with ThatGameCompany (flow, flower). Sony probably just injects money into the games development to have them exclusive.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Wolverine
    NukeGoBoom said:
    "

On the PSN store i see a lot of games with "PSN Exclusive" written on them.Does that mean they own the developer or did they agree to not make ports/remakes?

"
    That at the time the game is only available on PSN.
    chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By chililili

They definitely are most of them exclusive due to the fact that Sony owns those IPs through a subsidiary or helped them heavily in their development

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By get2sammyb

I think what Sony tend to do is work with developers (like ThatGameCompany and Jaffe's studio, can't think what they're called). They give them funding, resources and support and in return the developer makes PS3 games.

Studios like Sony Liverpool (who made Wipeout HD) are obviously Sony owned. I'm not sure about PixelJunk.

If you search David Jaffe on Youtube there is a video of him talking about why his company are PS3 exclusive and the benefits they get from being that.

Qorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Qorious

Not necessarily. Some of them are 2nd party since Microsoft limits the type of DLC you can get on Xbox LIVE.

Lieutenant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Lieutenant
    Qorious said:
    "Not necessarily. Some of them are 2nd party since Microsoft limits the type of DLC you can get on Xbox LIVE. "
    How do they limit DLC?
    chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By chililili
    Lieutenant said:
    "Qorious said:
    "Not necessarily. Some of them are 2nd party since Microsoft limits the type of DLC you can get on Xbox LIVE. "
    How do they limit DLC?"
    Well I think they have to make an obligatory demo and it has to have achievements, so I guess some developers are not up for that. Also I think they demand certain percentages fromt he companies.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.