Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

replacing PS3 harddrive, need help

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By BoFooQ

I am looking to replace my 80gb hard drive in my ps3 with a larger one, mainly cause I have a psn plus and need more room for downloading games. I don't know much but I understand it should be pretty easy to do, it's just a question of what hard drive to get. I'm thinking 500gb will be more than enough and lots are under $100. here are some of the ones I found on amazon.

1Western Digital 500 GB Scorpio Blue SATA 3 Gb/s 5400 RPM 8 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Notebook Hard Drive - WD5000BPVT .$75

2. Seagate Momentus 5400 500GB 5400RPM SATA 3Gb/s 8MB Cache 2.5 Inch Internal NB Hard Drive ST9500325AS-Bare Drive $65

3.Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500 GB Bulk/OEM Hard Drive 2.5 Inch, 8 MB Cache, 5400 RPM SATA II WD5000BEVT$85

So if anyone could help or have better suggestions let me know. Will any of the three work? Like I've said I don't know much and don't want to break my ps3

thanks

rjpelonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By rjpelonia

Any of those will work just fine. There's no real rule other than making sure you don't get one that's over 500GB. You run into a bit of slowdown as it takes longer for your PS3 to read it.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BoFooQ

@RJPelonia: thanks for the advice, I know everyone says its easy so hopefully I don't fuck it up

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BoFooQ
    Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#5  Edited By Kidavenger

Any particular reason you are sticking with 5400rpm drives?

Is there an issue with 7200rpm or faster in the ps3?

Edit: I just read this article, 7200rpm and faster drives do work in the PS3, they say the benefits are minimal, but saving 6 seconds off a game loading time sounds worthwhile if the price is right.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BoFooQ

I saw people suggesting 7200rpm didn't always work or atleast some were more problematic. I figured I would go on the save side and pick one I knew I wouldn't have any problem with.

banishedsoul1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By banishedsoul1

i have a 7200rpm ssd hybrid (250gb) in my ps3 works great loads games pretty fast. However any game that is disc heavy will still be slow.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By csl316
    @BoFooQ Gonna do this myself. Do you need any special cables or something?
    hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By hatking

@csl316 said:

@BoFooQ Gonna do this myself. Do you need any special cables or something?

I'm also interested.

Does anybody know if there is a simple way to transfer data over to the new HD? I really don't feel like swapping back and forth with the HDs transferring everything via the cloud.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#10  Edited By Kidavenger

I actually just did a swap yesterday (PS+ sucked me in)

You can backup your data on any USB storage device, it was pretty easy.

I had to download firmware from playstation.com to format the new drive, but the ps3 prompts you the whole way so no problem.

The drive I put in is 7200rpm I haven't noticed it being any faster but I haven't messed with it too much yet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.