Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

So I picked up a Playstation 3D Display.....

xSeanZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By xSeanZx

I was able to grab a Playstation 3D Display from Best Buy for 100 dollars out of pocket with a 4 year warranty and Resistance 3 (after gift cards, credits, etc.)

Im picking it up tonight and wanted to get a feel from other like minded people on this forum about it.

Is it a pretty good display? Is 100 dollars still over paying lol?

Im excited to set it up as an extended monitor for my PC as well as my primary gaming monitor now (Ill just use my plasma for blu-rays and television).

I hope the display does not disappoint. I find it hard to at this price point but let me know your thoughts !

banishedsoul1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By banishedsoul1

how the hell is paying 100$ with 4 year warrenty over paying with 3d?

xSeanZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By xSeanZx

Well I guess it seemed skewed in a cheap fashion, but of course I used probably about 150 in best buy credit. So I mean, that credit can be used elsewhere.

I have heard great things and I have heard terrible things about the display,. with people saying its worth low money because of all the problems it has etc.

THe reason I ask that question is just to get honest opinion from people who own it and have experienced these problems maybe.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By SuperWristBands

My brother has one and seems to love. Except for where it died in about 3 weeks and had to send it in to be fixed. They just sent him a new one. It seemed like a not all that uncommon issue either. Well, that is based on the one forum I looked into when he told me about it.

He still loves it though.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BraveToaster

Wouldn't it make more sense to ask questions like those before you even buy it?

xSeanZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xSeanZx

@BraveToaster said:

I was barely able to find the last one available at a best buy store 30 minutes from me, because they were selling quick due to the sale.

I have a 60 day return policy, so I would rather buy the product and do research than find out I really want it and them be all sold out.

Thanks for trying though

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BraveToaster

@xSeanZx said:

@BraveToaster said:

I was barely able to find the last one available at a best buy store 30 minutes from me, because they were selling quick due to the sale.

I have a 60 day return policy, so I would rather buy the product and do research than find out I really want it and them be all sold out.

Thanks for trying though

Thanks for trying what?

Cubical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Cubical

im So sorry for you. maybe you can use it in the kitchen to watch the food network or something its not useable for games or movies.

24 inch is about the size of TV I use in my kitchen you are only out $100

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By maginnovision

I just got one the other day from gamestop for 200. It's pretty neat. And the price is right for a 24" monitor. I had to change some settings to get it looking how I wanted but seems good now. Wipeout looks awesome, GT5 is cool. Super stardust I didn't like, kind of junky 3d there. Haven't tried any other 3d games I have though. It's nice that it just switches off when the playstation turns off too. Only real issue I have is where to put it, I had my 2nd ps3 hooked up to my computer monitor with my xbox. I already have a tv in the front room and the bedroom. I actually have both my ps3's set up right next to each other in the front room for now. The slim connected to the ps3 3d tv, and the 80gb connected to my normal TV. Only complaint I have it you really can see any reflections behind you in the glasses. Thinking of wearing a hoodie when playing it.

@Cubical:

I can't imagine needing a TV in the kitchen but I think it's sort of big for that anyway.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By JasonR86

$100 is relatively cheap dude. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By nintendoeats

@Cubical said:

im So sorry for you. maybe you can use it in the kitchen to watch the food network or something its not useable for games or movies.

I think that perhaps you are not the target audience for this product.

bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By bassman2112

I have one, and am fine with it.

I use it as both a PC monitor and PS3 gaming monitor in my room and it is pretty good for that. It has a few issues with ghosting on dark colors, but overall it's great for that price.

CommonReason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By CommonReason

@Cubical: Sony advertises this at people living in dorm rooms. It's targeted at a younger audience without a lot of money. In a sense, Sony wants to get teenagers and college students to have their foot in the door for when they have more income and can buy a larger 3D display. And since Sony is in the business of selling larger monitors, this makes a lot of sense.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By maginnovision

@CommonReason said:

@Cubical: Sony advertises this at people living in dorm rooms. It's targeted at a younger audience without a lot of money. In a sense, Sony wants to get teenagers and college students to have their foot in the door for when they have more income and can buy a larger 3D display. And since Sony is in the business of selling larger monitors, this makes a lot of sense.

To be fair, I'm not so sure it's advertised at all anymore. All the retailers just seem to be getting rid of them too. That's kind of why I bought one, I wanted to see what was up with it, and 3D in general since I'm not going to buy a 3D TV for how few 3D things there are around, before they went the way of the dodo. I also don't care to buy used electronics. At the 200$ price I felt fine doing so, even though I have nowhere to put it yet.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By VoshiNova

this guy was looking for a "nice work, good job" and got a bunch of bitter comments.

The T.V's good, that's why you bought it, nice work - good job.

I need a drink

xSeanZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By xSeanZx

@Maginnovision said:

I just got one the other day from gamestop for 200. It's pretty neat. And the price is right for a 24" monitor. I had to change some settings to get it looking how I wanted but seems good now. Wipeout looks awesome, GT5 is cool. Super stardust I didn't like, kind of junky 3d there. Haven't tried any other 3d games I have though. It's nice that it just switches off when the playstation turns off too. Only real issue I have is where to put it, I had my 2nd ps3 hooked up to my computer monitor with my xbox. I already have a tv in the front room and the bedroom. I actually have both my ps3's set up right next to each other in the front room for now. The slim connected to the ps3 3d tv, and the 80gb connected to my normal TV. Only complaint I have it you really can see any reflections behind you in the glasses. Thinking of wearing a hoodie when playing it.

@Cubical:

I can't imagine needing a TV in the kitchen but I think it's sort of big for that anyway.

Thanks for the honest feedback. What settings did you tinker with?

Also I popped it open and have been trying it at my friends house while we practice ssf4 for EVO next week (Well they are practicing, im not entering just spectating).

This monitor seems very very good in regards to lag. My 50 inch LG 3d plasma is really bad for fighting games, so this will be a great alternative for my room so I dont need to switch out to the living room, I plan on running it as an extended monitor for my PC, as well as havig my 360 hooked up to it on my desk, and using my plasma primarily for movies and television.

Not sure whats up with all the bittier coments though. Was really just looking for some honest opinions. I guess I should just expect this kind of crap from the internet.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By DoctorTran

I got it for 300 for my pc and it was still worth it. Especially since I got a second pair of glasses and MLB 2012 for free. Traded in the game for 30 bucks.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Addfwyn

I like it, it's a great size for me. Granted, I live in a Japanese apartment, anything much bigger than a 24 inch would be...way too big for the amount of room I have. If you're space limited or just want a nice periphery monitor, it's great.

I don't really use 3D much/ever, but it's still a nice enough display without it.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@JasonR86 said:

$100 is relatively cheap dude. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

He didn't spend $100, he spent $250, it's just that he paid $100 in cash. It wasn't especially cheap.

xSeanZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By xSeanZx

Yes and this part of why I made the post because the credit I used is obviously able to be used on something else

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By korolev

Eh - you got it, might as well enjoy it right? I'm sure it's not a terrible display, although I don't have one. As long as you can play games fairly decently on it, it should be fine enough. I mean, you kinda know what you're getting for the price you paid. If you're not expecting an excellent display, then you should be fine with what you have - which is a functional display. And sometimes, functional is all you need.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By maginnovision

@xSeanZx: I had to mess with all the brightness/backlight settings and the sharpness settings. Compared to my computer monitor which I was using, the colors are still different but now it's not as bad, and there is no bluriness. The bluriness I mainly noticed when it was just on the XMB so not a huge deal really. I also feel like I need two different settings, 1 for 3D and 1 for 2D. Which I think you can do by changing settings of the presets but haven't had that much time to mess around. Right now I just have it setup so that when I use it for 3d games it looks, in my opinion, it's best. Basically the 2d stuff now just looks a little washed out since I turned the brightness/backlight up, but when I put the glasses on and use it as a 3D monitor it looks great.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jack268
    @Cubical said:

24" is not usable for games? Well damn son I played on a 17" for 10 years, I wasn't aware.
    maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By maginnovision

@Korolev: I don't think there is anything wrong with the TV, and at 200$ I think it's a good deal. I do not think it'd be worth too much more simply because there just isn't enough 3D content out there, for me personally, to warrant paying much extra money to experience it. The display itself is good though, and with a built in headphone jack and 3 total inputs it seems like they did think about what people might want in a display.

Alot of people may think it's too small and that's fine, but I find it fine up to 8-10' away(Depending on the game). I sit about 4 feet away from my modest 25" computer monitor. One of my major complaints at most peoples houses is they try to stick the biggest TV they can afford into a room and then you get to see pixels from 6 feet back or they have to move their head to see the screen, and I think that's the wrong way to go about it. My friend for instance has a 60" TV about in a room only 8' away from where he watches it, and it's the most awful thing for me. It comes down to personal preference but in the end the display is good, and there is nothing wrong with the size. The main "design" issue I have is the nature of the edge backlighting. On some dark screens you can see the glow from all around the edges of the screen, even though I've only really noticed it while in game boot screens and patch screens.

xSeanZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By xSeanZx

I also noticed the edge lighting...reminded me of my iPad 2 issues I had a while back. Also, there is a giant speck of dust caught under the screen on the right side. It's not really noticeable at all when it's on, but it bug me to know its there -_-

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Jeez, it's going for 200 bucks now. Man, if it was just a little bigger, I would be all over it. But I just can't see myself playing on a screen smaller than 32".

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NTM

I don't, but once you get it, I'd like to know your opinion of it. Not necessarily of the 3D, but just in general.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

This sounds like a good deal, even if you don't plan on messing with the 3D. Hell it might me nice to have as a sort of "future proofing" way of having a 3D display if future consoles and games take better advantage of the technology. Also, in 2D mode do you still get the 240Hz refresh rate? If so does it make a difference?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.