Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Sorta Maximus - My Top 20 Reasons To Still Own A PS3

SortaMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SortaMaximus

I decided to rebuy a PS3 for 20 games that are still sorta stuck on last gen home consoles.

01. God of War

02. God of War 2

03. God of War: Ghost of Sparta

04. inFAMOUS

05. inFAMOUS 2

06. Metal Gear Solid

07. Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

08. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

09. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

10. Red Dead Redemption

11. Final Fantasy IX

12. Final Fantasy Tactics

13. Chrono Cross

14. Persona 3 FES

15. Persona 4

16. Ni no Kuni

17. Soul Calibur 2 HD Online

18. Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown

19. NBA Jam: On Fire Edition

20. SSX (+ Mt. Eddie and Classic Characters)

Which PS3 games keep you on the system??

Edit: It's a top 25 now!!

21. Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

22. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver

23. Beyond Good and Evil HD

24. Persona 4 Arena

25. Persona 4 Arena Ultimax

citan359

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a nice thread to stumble on to as I just recently found a PS3 on the street! Having sold my old PS3 when I moved cross country, I swooped that fat ol' monstrosity up. It had a note on it saying the cables were lost, still works, free to whoever. Generic. 3. Prong. Cable. I got like 8 of those! and still had an old PS3 controller that I had held onto for limited PC use. So I took it home and wiped it (was still signed into the dudes account and everything).

Bonus! It is also the Emotion Engine release model (60 GB is so tiny now), and it had a copy of Terminator Salvation in it... (can't win em all)

Immediately bought Resistance 1-3 off craigslist, bought a ps4 controller off Amazon, and had my brother over to relive those good good launch day memories of playing through the first one a half dozen times.

I also bought Demon's Souls cause Dark Souls is my favorite game and now I can finally play its little brother.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread reminded me I should probably sell my PS3 and the 30~ games a long with it.

GuitarGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark souls and demon souls

Maybe the first 2 Witcher games

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Funny to see some PS1 games on your list. I honestly play more PS1 games on my PS3 than PS3 games these days. I played like 45 minutes of Xevious 3D/G+ a couple days ago. That game is...not great but I find it kind of fascinating. I have been itching to play some God of War so I might find the time to do that. For some reason when I think about what I want to play on my PS3 I think of more PS2 remasters than anything else. I think it's because there's more differentiation between PS2 games and PS4 games than PS3 games and PS4 games. I don't really feel the need to play Killzone 2 and 3 because there are a ton of FPS for PS4 I could play instead. But if I want to play Jak 3 or Prince of Persia Warrior Within there just isn't anything on PS4 to scratch that particular itch.

PS3 was a pretty great console all-told. I definitely used my Xbox 360 more, but I haven't turned my 360 on in years and my PS3 gets sem-regular use to this day. Part of that is because of backwards compatibility (I have definitely PLAYED a bunch of 360 games over the past month) but part of that is because PS3 had more exclusives (especially towards the end) and has that Playstation history in a way the 360 just doesn't.

I mean you can't play Pandemonium! on a 360. Not sure why you would want to, but if you do you're SOL.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Some gems I beat on the PS3 this year include God Hand, Okami HD, and Yakuza 4. I also vastly prefer the PS3 over the PS4 as a media box.

rccola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because selling things sucks and it's not worth the effort.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know what? They ps3 was a pretty great fucking system.

SortaMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SortaMaximus

Great responses everyone!! As a new Giant Bomb forum member it's solid proof that people do come here to talk about videogames. Eventually.

I had a moment when I was thinking about rebuying a PS2 primarily for SSX3. As great as that one game was it wasn't enough to justify the console shelf space for me. Blame Sony and company as they all did a great job of moving the best PS2 games over to the PS3 (with some noteable exceptions and a few bad ports). I'll just have to pray for SSX3 BC though a Nintendo Switch GameCube VC or on XBOX Originals for XBOX One X.

For the PS3 I find that the menu system is much, much slower and the PS4 conversions keep coming. If Sony and Konami ever release God of War and Metal Gear Solid collections on PS4, plus release Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, I may have to reconsider my console shelf space. That said, Sony has shown zero interest in remastering other God of War games and Konami committed developer Konamicide. So who knows what Konami will do at this point.

In the end, it's clear that the PS3's game library is big enough and diverse enough. So much so that when a game get the remaster treatment there are many others that could take it's place. So I have a feeling I may never retire the PS3. But if I do it would be because Konami woke up and realized they are a great gaming company with some great games. Games that deserve modern remasters more than most.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have mine hooked up, but it will stay in my house as a persona 4/3 FES console as I don't own a ps2. I used to add dragon's dogma to that list but thank god for that PC port

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never get rid of my old consoles. My PS3 and Wii are still hooked up and seeing tons of use. Why completely stamp a console's library out of your life?

SortaMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SortaMaximus

@nicksmi56: For me it's all about BC availability on new consoles that I'd rather game on (better menu speeds and social features), spare HDMI ports on my HDTV, and free console shelf space. And to a lesser degree better HDTV output resolution upscaling and console / controller replacement availability.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sortamaximus: Eh, I'm not so big on BC I have to pay for, and these new consoles haven't done a thing to make me want to pay for them besides the Switch so I'm fine with keeping my old consoles. I can always put them away if I'm running out of room.

SortaMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SortaMaximus

@nicksmi56: Another scenario - If your PS2 disc drive breaks you can still buy a digital game like Final Fantasy X on your PS4. In fact, I'm just about all digital at this point. It's far easier to slap a new hard drive in there than a new disc drive. And I dig the digital Rolodex switching of my games.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I almost bought and played Beyond Good & Evil HD on PS3 over the weekend, but ended up playing the pc-version instead, so that's one reason less to turn it on.

Though I rarely go back to old games, there's still a few titles like Ratchet & Clank Future/HD trilogy, God of War 1&2 HD and Stranger's Wrath HD that I have to play on PS3 if I wanted. Though seeing how Jak & Daxter is coming to PS4 as PS2 classics, it's probably likely that at least R&C will follow. I guess Future is also on PS Now, but I don't know if that is ever coming over...

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I want a remastered or at least uprezzed version of Ni No Kuni as I can't be arsed to take five minutes to move an HDMI cable.

SortaMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glots: I just added three games:

Beyond Good and Evil HD

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver

I need two more games to make a top 25, which is a nice even number. I also read the HD PSN version of BGAE may be the one to get over the PC version. Funny, you beat me to it though, I was just heading here to add it!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a923fc7099e3
    deactivated-5a923fc7099e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't forget about the ps3 Yakuza games!

SortaMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To round off my PS3 Top 25 here I'm adding Persona 4 Arena and Persona 4 Arena Ultimax. I love Persona, I've always wanted fighting games with better stories (technically it is two Persona 3 and 4 cannon sequels), and I'll get more use out of my dual fight sticks.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also read the HD PSN version of BGAE may be the one to get over the PC version.

I'd say that too, though the pc-version really wasn't as terrible as I had expected...plus it was going for 2,30€ on a Steam sale against the 10€ price of the HD version, so eh. But if one wants to avoid possible controller issues and the graphics bullshit that you have to fix with fan patches, then it's probably a good idea to grab the HD version. Even better if it happens to be on sale.

SortaMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glots: Beyond Good and Evil 2 looks amazing. In fact, it's the primary reason I'm going back for the original.

jmlamb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great thread. I've been going back and forth about pulling the trigger on getting a PS3 since I've been an xbox guy the previous two generations. There is just enough good stuff available that I'm probably going to do it.

Plus I really want to sink way too many hours into a college football game again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a48350594a61
    deactivated-5a48350594a61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am literally doing this today, cant wait

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.