Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Update today? = broken PS3 :( (Avoid 4.45 update!)

• 107 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-613c903ddf820
    deactivated-613c903ddf820

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@jimmyfenix: No need because Sony is no longer offering the 4.45 update until further notice.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@handlas:

I am NOT sure how correct any of this info is--since I don't even own a PS3--but I saw it as a comment on Joystiq, and I thought I'd post it here. It sounds like fairly logical good advice to me.

If your PS3 was bricked by this, there is a safe mode on the PS3 to install fixes and do other things.

Don't do any system restore, restore default, etc. You might lose your stuff. Just wait until they release a fix and use "System Update" in the safe mode. Also, you might want to add in the article that the update got pulled already and no one can download it. If your auto-updater from PS+ downloaded the update, it won't install it and do not install it either.

To get into safe mode: https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1488/~/safe-mode-on-ps3

Quoting this for the new page.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#104  Edited By Jeust

I hate the auto-update feature of PSN+!

gogosox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@gogosox82 said:

When did this happen? I just updated my ps3 and everything seemed fine. Is something going to happen after I turn it back on?

I think they already pulled the bad update as soon as they learned about it. From here, it should be interesting to see how Sony handles this issue, especially right before launching their new console.

What we can learn from all of this, and something that applies to both platforms, is that there certainly can be a downside to automatic system updates.

Think for a moment if Microsoft or Sony made a mistake like this that was instantly uploaded to EVERY console that was connected to the internet and in a low power sleep mode.

Wow.

This makes sense since I have ps+ I have it set up to download updates automatically at like 4 am so when it asked me to download the update I thought that was weird. It must have just been a mandatory roll back for all systems just in case you have ps+ and the system automatically updated it which is probably what happened to my ps3.

Yeah, that would be pretty bad. Imagine if you got a ps4 and the first update did that. I would've been so pissed if that happened to me.

RazorRamen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By RazorRamen
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#107  Edited By Jeust
    Akimbro_Slice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does any one have an update on this? I didn't install the 4.45 update but it seems Sony has blocked my PS3 from signing into PSN; I just get the 801blahblah error message. I was reading elsewhere about some people having the same problem, but it must only be a small percentage of us.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does any one have an update on this? I didn't install the 4.45 update but it seems Sony has blocked my PS3 from signing into PSN; I just get the 801blahblah error message. I was reading elsewhere about some people having the same problem, but it must only be a small percentage of us.

Sadly, there's nothing. This thread on the PS forums is what you should watch for updates on it. They just posted again today basically saying it's all still broke...SORRY!

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-Support/System-Software-Update-PS3-v-4-45-SCEA-Update/m-p/40721809#U40721809

"Hello all,

Wanted to follow up and let you know that we are still activaly examining the issue in which certain users experienced problems booting their PS3 after the firmware update.

Thank you for your patience, but I don't have any more news to share at this time. Please continue to watch this thread for updates, and subscribe to it to recieve emails for further updates."

RazorRamen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now they're saying there wont be a fix until June 27th.

We have identified the issue related to the PlayStation 3 software update (version 4.45) that impacted a small number of PS3 systems earlier this week. A new PS3 system software update is planned to be released on June 27 that resolves the issue. Thank you for your patience and understanding and we apologize for the inconvenience.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-Support/System-Software-Update-PS3-v-4-45-SCEA-Update/m-p/40721809#U40721809

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By handlas

man...27th. Over a week for a fix. I'm craving to play The Last of Us :(

I like how they keep saying "small number" are impacted. The page of people with the issue is over 300 pages. Seems like a lot of people were affected to me considering the short time span the update was actually up to d/l... I'm sure a lot more people avoided it, luckily.

RazorRamen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handlas: Yeah, without knowing the details of what work needs to be done to get a fix out, a week seems like a long time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.