Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

HDMI switcher.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Could someone please recommend a HDMI switcher you can buy on amazon (uk) that works with the ps4? My tv only has one HDMI port and I have been using a switcher for a while, but it does not work with the ps4. At first I thought it had broken but after I googled it, it seems other people are having this issue. I would prefer one that doesn't have to be plugged into a power source as well as the tv, any help would be appreciated.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By spraynardtatum

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015YWKYY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This one works for me. I got it about a year ago and it was only $3 then. I don't know why the price went up so much.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@spraynardtatum: It's probably due to the devalued US dollar vs the Chinese yuan. The floating exchange rate has been plummeting over the last year or two.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@spraynardtatum: Thanks for the link! It's currently on sale for $9.30, but I rather pay that than damn near $40.

KirillOrlov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By KirillOrlov

The Portta looks great. If you do decide to be okay with an outlet adapter the Kinivo has been great for me. I enjoy the auto switch of the Kinivo.

Avatar image for killer_meatballs
    killer_meatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LosDub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By LosDub

i currently use this 4x2 switch

tho i bought it from Monoprice.com at the time since it was cheaper at the time and it has their name on it as the brand its still the same thing, been using it for bout 5-6 months now and have 360 ps3 and now a ps4 hooked to it.

i run it to an asus 27in monitor and to my samsung 40in tv ...can run the signal to both at once or can split it so i can run any of my 3 systems to either monitor if i want to play something while someone else wants to play on another system i have

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Scampbell

Why doesn't it work?

Is it because it is standard HDMI and as such doesn't support 1080p?

@somejerk said:

I'm using the cheapest possible 3x1 and successfully: http://dx.com/p/mini-4-port-1080p-hdmi-switch-3-in-1-out-113720

$6.60, passively powered, auto-switching.

I actually just ordered that one yesterday, and was wondering how the auto-switching works, does it detect activity, and how does that work if two system are running simultaneously?

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I almost got one last year (I think) but waited, spotting the prices go up so much was slightly odd but oh well.

Mines a simple 3 into 1 with auto-detect but has a button for manual change. I assume if there were 2 devices I might have to get up and press that.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scampbell: If two or three systems are actively sending out live HDMI you'll have to reach for the button on the box unless you shut other systems down. If I'd had the need to, I would have hacked it open and added an extension cable for the switch button.

GleasonRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

@somejerk said:

@scampbell: If two or three systems are actively sending out live HDMI you'll have to reach for the button on the box unless you shut other systems down. If I'd had the need to, I would have hacked it open and added an extension cable for the switch button.

Also if the system is putting out an "always on or live" signal, like the xbox one does in standby and possible the ps4 when standby hits, it will not switch on its own even if one is "off".

Mitch0712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kinivo makes great HDMI switchers

Thuggish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use the Kinivo 501BN, it's 5 port high speed HDMI switch that works great for me so far with my Xbox 360, PS3 and PS4. I bought this from Amazon.com, but I would imagine it's probably available in the UK as well.

The hub auto-switches to the most recently powered on device that's plugged into it, and you can manually switch (of course) to any of the plugged in devices using a button on the switch or using the included remote.

This switch does require a separate AC adapter.

I tried out a few cheaper models first, and didn't have much success in getting them to work with my PS3 and Xbox 360. I was pleased to see this this particular switch works well with all 3 of my systems.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killer_meatballs: I ended up ordering this one, and it's works great thank you very much.

Avatar image for killer_meatballs
    killer_meatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By killer_meatballs
    BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xbox one

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

I heard Microsoft released a $500 television remote that as hdmi in and out you may want to look into that.

Then again you could get a nice new TV for that so maybe not.

Pepsicolaboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@pompouspizza: @barrock: @killer_meatballs: @spraynardtatum: Hi All,

Can I clarify something super basic here - So the consensus is that you do not need a powered switcher to run several consoles and PC through the same switcher?

Several people have posted unpowered switchers that they are using, so this would seem to be the case, but could someone currently using an unpowered (passive) switcher please confirm that they work with consoles (ps4 in particular)? About to pull the trigger on one and want to confirm.

Thanks guys

TVippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno, how people are doing it, but NONE OF THE PASSIVE switches worked for me ever (PS4 and X1). Maybe to do with the cables' leghths? But I don't use longer than 2M cables.

I was about buy an active switch to solve this, but then stumbled upon this thread where people are claiming passives DO in fact work with PS4. Now I'm super confused.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just bought a 3x1 switch from GE at Target that has a button on it. It worked well enough until my TV died of old age. Switch still works, but new TV has enough inputs ... for now.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do hdmi switchers degrade the visual quality at all?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#25  Edited By mike

@raven_sword: HDMI is digital and therefore by it's very nature does not degrade. The signal is either there or it isn't. This is the same reason why you shouldn't waste money on "high quality" HDMI cables.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mike: Thanks. Was just concerned because I didn't know if the signal was going to be worse because it's being split up or whatever.

theuprightman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are there any of these devices that do not switch automatically?? I have had this problem on and off over the past year, a device (sky box) turns itself on and the hub switches from PS4 to Sky when that's not what I want, really irritating after the first 10 or so times it happens.

I have also noticed when I use the two different hubs that I have it changes the quality of the video. Lots of little white dots appear on the screen, you can only see them from right up against the screen but it is there. No dots without the hub so it's not the TV.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.