Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

How Important is Backwards Compatibility for PS Orbis PS4 to you as a consumer?

• 120 results
    ShinjiEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

Edited By ShinjiEx

Poll How Important is Backwards Compatibility for PS Orbis PS4 to you as a consumer? (298 votes)

It's a major insensitive when considering purchasing the next PlayStation Console System 33%
    I don't mind or care cause I have small library of PS3 games 67%

For me it's a major factor in general for next gen consoles to play video games from current to previous consoles

However strong rumors suggest Sony will be doing streaming PS3 video games via PS Orbis PS4 as well possibly PS1 & PS2

Which I'd be cool with if the subscription price is decent most likely streaming video games will be part of PS Plus however

But at the end of the day being able to use my PS3 discs would be nice and would help boost sells of the PS Orbis PS4

• 
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Quite a bit, as I don't own a PS3 and am stupidly lazy.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By awesomeusername

Where's the "I'm keeping my PS3 so it doesn't matter to me" option?

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not at all, even if I have a big library of games.

C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

You got a typo in the first choice buddy.

But to answer the question, backwards compatibility is pretty important to me. If there was a limited run like there was for the PS3, that would actually make me consider buying one quite close to launch.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I plan to keep my Ps3, so I don't care if there is. Besides, if there's no backwards compatibility, then it's cheaper for Sony to produce. Which means a cheaper price point.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Yeah, I have no intention of selling my PS3 anytime soon. BC isn't really a big deal to me right now.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I wouldn't care about backwards compatibility if the system lasted for more then 3 years and I could count on them to continue their online services forever. But considering XBOX online got shut down 5 years after the Xbox 360 launched I cant see that being the case.

ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

You need more than those two choices for this poll. Too restricting.

Why would I want to play old games on a new system? If I get a PS4, I'm going to play PS4 games on it.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have that many PS3 games and like the PS2 if I want to play a specific game then it's just as simple as hooking up the HDMI and power cable.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dungbootle

Like not at all

Why is the second option such a specific case? I just don't care about BC, that's all.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

It'd be great to have it but it's not essential and in the case of PS3 games most likely impossible anyway.

Neonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Your second choice is weirdly worded. I have a sizable library of PS3 games but still don't care about backwards comparability. I'm getting a new console to play the games the new console can play, not play the games from the old generation of console because I have the old generation of the console if I want to play those games.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if the PS4 will (or can) even have backwards compatibility. When the PS3 did it with the PS2, they initially slapped the Emotion Engine chip right in it (before progressing, or perhaps regressing, to software based emulation). Something tells me that the PS4 neither has the power to emulate a PS3 nor the necessary margins to include a Cell (or any hardware specifically meant for PS3 emulation for that matter).

I'm sure they'd rather brag about being able to play all your PS3 games (if hardware based) or at least most (if software based), rather than the limited streaming selection they'll have. (Unless they aim to turn that into a whole business model, of course.)

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you for participating in Sony's consumer poll. We will take your opinion into consideration.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't care about backwards compatibility but my library of PS3 games is medium sized, so I couldn't vote. I don't really see how it matters anyway, it's not like your PS3 will explode when the new one comes out.

groverat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Zero percentage points of giving a damn.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Eh not really important. As long as my PS store purchases carry over I'll be happy. The disc based stuff will be a bummer to lose but if I am buying a new console I am doing it to play new games first and foremost.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea. While it was nice to play sole PS2 games on the PS3-I only did it to play 2 games: God of War 2 and Dragon Quest VIII. While backwards compatibility is a nice "back of box" feature, how many people really use it?

bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By bassman2112

I still have a Backwards Compatible PS3, so I'm not ultra worried.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It will definitely not be the deciding factor for me personally. It is nice; but; even with a PS4; you will be able to own and play a PS3; perhaps you already own one so you're pretty much sorted.

Zebracal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice inputs to everyone. No I really don't know if the backwards compatibility is important or not.

Malarkain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Malarkain

This coming generation may be the first time I buy a Playstation (I know!). So it would be nice to have backwards compatability so I can go back and visit the big PS3 titles. On the other hand, if Sony does a good job of just putting all of those titles in the PSN store, I'll be fine with it. Really, I just wanna play Tales of Xillia man.

Fawkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd probably prefer it. I got a backwards compatible PS3 as soon as they announced they were taking that out. I only used it a few times though, so I don't know why I care.

Also I'm not sure what it says about the value of PS+ if the instant game library doesn't carry over. It would probably make me not want to renew.

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
    deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'd like it but it isn't make or break to me.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I will not make the mistake of ditching my previous gen hardware too quickly (probably won't sell it at all, worth so little) but backwards compat would be a huge plus in my eyes.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'd be cool, but the amount of work and extra price raising they would have to do to include it probably isn't worth it. I'm cool with keeping my PS3.

seamus85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

you need more option. btw

i have a large PS3 collection and I'm keeping my PS3 so it doesn't matter to me.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By Sooty

By the way this is less of an issue, why? It's not like the PS2 where a lot of people are running at 480/576i on LCDS which are notoriously bad at displaying SD content, especially the really cheap ones. (also most old games aren't widescreen)

HDMI isn't going away, whatever your games look like now won't change, they won't suddenly be fuzzy or hazy like PS2/Wii games. The biggest problem with playing games from last gen was how they looked on modern televisions, as the next consoles won't be operating above 1080P (2k, 4k, not going to happen) it won't be the same issue if you choose to play a PS3 game in 2 years time.

My plasma is pretty high end and does an admirable job at scaling but you can still tell it's SD being blown up on a screen designed for 720 or 1080P.

Still, it does mean you'd have to hang on to an older console if you want to play those games but at least you won't have to worry about it being like the experience of playing PS2 games on a 40" widescreen LCD.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a huge deal breaker for me. Its something I'd probably care about if I get one at launch since I'd probably pick up maybe three launch games at most with it. So it would be nice to still play some PS3 games on it until the following year.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#30  Edited By musubi

Where is the 3rd option of "Yo, I got a shit load of PS3 games but I don't mind hooking up the PS3 if I need to play that shit?"

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By devilzrule27

My PS2 is still hooked up and I suspect that my PS3 will follow suit when I get my PS4. I have a large collection of PS3 games and while it would be nice to have them play on the PS4 it simply isn't a big deal. There will be new games that I will be wanting to play.

Also there are those Gaikai rumours which could potentially be a nice alternative to backwards compatibility.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i haven't owned a sony product since the ps1. that said, i'd appreciate the backwards compatibility so i can check out some ps3 exclusives i've missed. i typically only buy one console per generation, and i'm leaning hard towards sony (since i had a 360 this past one). if the streaming turns out to be real and works as advertised, that'll push me over the edge for sure.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Backward compatibility would be a selling point for me precisely because I *don't* have a PS3. If buying a PS4 gave me a chance to digitally download the best PS3 games, sort of like XBL on Demand originally was, it'd increase my chances of getting it for sure.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

If they can offer a catalog of old games through streaming or on their online store I am fine with that.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still have and use my PS2 when I wanna play those. Backwards compatibility is not a big deal to me. I'll just keep the PS3 around like I already do with the PS2.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want my PSN games but have zero interest in retail titles.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

It's not a deal breaker but it's a very desired feature for most consumers, myself included. Considering what we've heard in terms of specs for the next gen consoles however, I can see backwards compatibility being a problem for Sony (trying to emulate the Cell processor and all).

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I really want it because I don't have a PS3 anymore but I have some games for it that I haven't played with no way to play them unless the new console is backwards compatible.

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'd love to have it but if it's not there oh well. Ive already started getting non exclusive games on Steam.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's very important. Not essential, but it would be a big selling point that would make me go for it over the next Microsoft console. I don't own a PS3; so, there are plenty of great games I'd get to play right at launch. Backwards compatibility makes the prospect of investing in a new console much more appealing.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mellotronrules

@sathingtonwaltz said:

Considering what we've heard in terms of specs for the next gen consoles however, I can see backwards compatibility being a problem for Sony (trying to emulate the Cell processor and all).

i think that's the idea behind the cloud rumour. if they have a bunch of ps3 mainframes doing the heavy lifting, they can pipe that video to the ps4 and emulation becomes a non-issue. as long as it works, it's a pretty great idea. but the quality of experience is everything. my fingers are crossed.

probably wouldn't work for any twitch-style games (fighting, racing, etc). but for jrpgs and the like (i'm thinking of Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch and Valkyria Chronicles specifically)- it could be great.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By stonyman65

I still like playing old games, so yeah, that's a pretty big thing for me. Not a deal breaker if the next consoles don't have backwards compatibility, but that would really suck. Backwards compatibility means just one less thing I have to keep hooked up to my TV or lying around the house somewhere collecting dust. It's just more convenient that way.

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone with a BIG library will probably keep their PS3 and probably never touch PS3 games again once they get the new console. Also CELL to the processor rumored i'll be surprised to sell backward compatability

joshth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since I only had a X-box and Wii this generation, part of the reason I'm interested in the Orbis/PS4 is so I can go back and play those PS3 exclusives.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sathingtonwaltz said:

Considering what we've heard in terms of specs for the next gen consoles however, I can see backwards compatibility being a problem for Sony (trying to emulate the Cell processor and all).

i think that's the idea behind the cloud rumour. if they have a bunch of ps3 mainframes doing the heavy lifting, they can pipe that video to the ps4 and emulation becomes a non-issue. as long as it works, it's a pretty great idea. but the quality of experience is everything. my fingers are crossed.

probably wouldn't work for any twitch-style games (fighting, racing, etc). but for jrpgs and the like (i'm thinking of Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch and Valkyria Chronicles specifically)- it could be great.

I keep forgetting about Sony's acquisition of the Gaikai streaming service, but unless they have some kind of elder god tier networking system I can't see that method being ideal at all. I'm not saying it doesn't work (OnLive isn't all that bad), but I would rather Sony use Gaikai for something more interesting.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless this Gaikai layer is indistinguishable (in quality and latency) from raw gameplay, I have very little interest in using it.

you can pretty much bank on that NOT being the case. there's no way they can account for latency and video compression to such an extent that it feels like you're doing the rendering on your end. the technology just isn't there yet. but if it comes down to a choice between video compression artifacts/slight input lag and no ps3 support at all, i'll take what i can get.

harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't mind the console not being able to play PS3 games. Once I complete a game, it would be very rare if I ever go back to it, unless its street fighter or something similar (which I own digitally as well, so..yeah.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

C: It doesn't matter to me, because I have a PS3 and TVs are still the same.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.